Any metal fans on these forums?

ibanezhater

yeah Priest gets lots of kudos, but you have to admit "breakin the law, breakin the law" is pretty silly.

Not for its time it wasn't. It was meant to appeal to adolescent metalheads, a la Beavis and Butthead.

To be honest, a great deal of metal lyrics are silly - that's part of its "charm" I suppose. Besides, it's all about the riffs, and Breaking the Law had a cool riff that's easy to play and remember.

Yeah, and who could forget the Beavis and Butthead episode where they are watching the video, and Butthead says "I like Judas Priest, but this video sucks!"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me some melody, some meaning, some vocals all in the same key please.

lol, seriously! [Y]

I guess you could call me a metal fan - but there is a lot of it I hate. Just like there's a lot of classical I hate or classic rock that I hate. The nice thing about "older" music is that a lot of the crap hasn't stood the test of time and isn't around anymore.

I would prefer a sloppy performance / recording of something with soul over some technical masterpiece - but you can't deny that combining the two is a whole heck of a lot more fun.

Tool, Killswitch Engage, Korn (my favorite) are all good IMO.

Whenever I get a new subwoofer for my soundsystem I always seem to get dragged back into the trance/dance/house things with all the real deep loud bass. Then when I get sick of that (or blow up the sub =] ) or get a speaker upgrade I go straight back to Korn etc. I have very varied and messed up music tastes =p

Are you saying Judas Priest have no chops? That's absurd. KK Downing and Glenn Tipton can play with the best of them, Halford's voice is legendary, and their drummer is simply badass. Judas Priest are one of the most important metal bands ever.

[+o(] no chops, that is exactly right. important??? Idk meh

As a lead guitarist I'm a little chagrined that I have not heard of any of those groups except Rush (have the Presto album). I have heard Metallica on the radio occasionally and find I like it. Compared to other metal music they seem to be almost accidentally musical without being overly serious about it, and they seem to have something to say or make you think about vs just noisey banging. The guitar player is strangly not that good and makes obvious mistakes (like finishing his leads in the wrong mode), but that seems to be part of their charm, likewise with the singer's habit of grunting the end of his lines... it works. I think technically they can't compete with some others, but that does not seem to matter - they seem to get right to the heart of whatever metal is about without distracting flash and fury. What's their best album?

I like Fender amps, too.

Well said!

Some of the newer stuff is good also, I like Disturbed, Korn, Linkin Park, Zombie, Huge Godsmack fan... THEY have the best drummer aka - Shannon Larkin.

Also when talking about Older Metallica & Queensryche, I like them both & have everything they put out, but to say that you don't like newer Metallica but you still like newer Queensryche? Doesn't make sense to me... I think they both have changed with the times, And I don't mind either.... well St. Anger is hard to swallow... lol.

Saw Judas Priest live for the first time in 1981 on the Point of Entry tour . Amazing live show ! They played at the Myrtle Beach SC Civic Center which back then was the size of an average high school gymnasium . Worked my way to the very front row ; with the help of some Gorgeous girl that I didn't know . Loud beyond belief , and one of those shows where at times your feet were off the ground and you were moving with the crowd . "It was a big human sweatball ."

Excellent musicians , all of them . So tight and insinc it was jawdropping ! Halford absolutely has the strongest vocals of any frontman I have ever seen !!! At the time his sexual orientation was not out but the way he was grinding and licking his Harley onstage was definitely an uncomfortable sight for a naive 16 year old ; me . [+o(] Oh yeah , there were mics attatched to the exhaust pipes of the Harley which was unessasary in the 2,000 person capacity auditorium ! "Has to be the all time loudest show I have ever been to and I have been to alot of them !"

As an added bonus the opening band was the original Iron Maiden lineup "Killers Tour" . I still prefer Maidens first 2 albums over anything else they have done . It's a shame Paul Di Anno couldn't cope with the pressures of touring . He had the right voice and attitude for the band . Pretty special show alltogather !!!

Are you saying Judas Priest have no chops? That's absurd. KK Downing and Glenn Tipton can play with the best of them, Halford's voice is legendary, and their drummer is simply badass. Judas Priest are one of the most important metal bands ever.

I just hope you know more about home audio and speakers than you do about heavy metal. Ha ha ha. Yes, very important. No chops = nu metal pop crap. Go listen to Beyonce and leave the metal discussion to people who know and understand metal.

Saw Judas Priest live for the first time in 1981 on the Point of Entry tour . Amazing live show ! They played at the Myrtle Beach SC Civic Center which back then was the size of an average high school gymnasium . Worked my way to the very front row ; with the help of some Gorgeous girl that I didn't know . Loud beyond belief , and one of those shows where at times your feet were off the ground and you were moving with the crowd . "It was a big human sweatball ."

Excellent musicians , all of them . So tight and insinc it was jawdropping ! Halford absolutely has the strongest vocals of any frontman I have ever seen !!! At the time his sexual orientation was not out but the way he was grinding and licking his Harley onstage was definitely an uncomfortable sight for a naive 16 year old ; me . [+o(] Oh yeah , there were mics attatched to the exhaust pipes of the Harley which was unessasary in the 2,000 person capacity auditorium ! "Has to be the all time loudest show I have ever been to and I have been to alot of them !"

As an added bonus the opening band was the original Iron Maiden lineup "Killers Tour" . I still prefer Maidens first 2 albums over anything else they have done . It's a shame Paul Di Anno couldn't cope with the pressures of touring . He had the right voice and attitude for the band . Pretty special show alltogather !!!

Di Anno had attitude, but he couldn't sing!

Bruce all the way!

I'm pretty excited about this years lineup for the prog power USA show.

I went to the last two ProgPower's and they were awesome. I have every intention of going to this years show. That is one kick-*** lineup Glenn put together for this year. I better be camping out at the TicketBastard website the moment those tickets go on sale. I have a feeling they will be going extremely quickly (I've heard some speculation that it may very well sell out within 36 hours!)

I'm pretty excited about this years lineup for the prog power USA show.

I

went to the last two ProgPower's and they were awesome. I have

every intention of going to this years show. That is one kick-***

lineup Glenn put together for this year. I better be camping out

at the TicketBastard website the moment those tickets go on sale.

I have a feeling they will be going extremely quickly (I've heard some

speculation that it may very well sell out within 36 hours!)

Last

year I bought tickets for me and a friend because my buddy was on his

way to see Dream Theater the day the tickets went on sale.

I was

amazed no only at the quality of the music but at how well things

seemed to be run and the way they were able to minimize the downtime

between bands. I found myself wishing for more time to spend with

the vendors checking out the CD selection.

I saw Sonata Arctica

at the Masquerade in ATL when they came through last year and I was so

pleased when I saw they were playing at this years progpower.

It'll be cool to see Freak Kitchen again as well although I could do with a little less of Mattias' crass humour between songs.

I just hope you know more about home audio and speakers than you do about heavy metal. Ha ha ha. Yes, very important. No chops = nu metal pop crap. Go listen to Beyonce and leave the metal discussion to people who know and understand metal.

If that video is any indication- pretty much talentless. Halford is a total hack on vocals. Pick a key dude!

Please don't judge Judas Preist by that video, that's some tasteless old school stuff there. Like their first gig.

Rob isn't even in his trademark leather attire......

IMO, their old stuff was slow and strange, but some songs were pretty heavy. When the took the old songs and kicked up the tempo on "Unleashed in East" live in japan, then their music sounded pretty good. The albums after that were ok, kinda corny by today's standards, but they catered to the mullethead generation.

I'm not much for prog metal, some of it's ok......

My idea of metal is: If it pisses you off, then I like it.

Like the first minute or so of Deep Purple's "Lazy" off the Made in Japan album. Throw it in, crank it wide open. The neighbors will be pissed. That's metal.........

Last

year I bought tickets for me and a friend because my buddy was on his

way to see Dream Theater the day the tickets went on sale.

I was

amazed no only at the quality of the music but at how well things

seemed to be run and the way they were able to minimize the downtime

between bands. I found myself wishing for more time to spend with

the vendors checking out the CD selection.

Oh lord! I've must've dropped over $300 just on CD there! Awesome to find all kinds of good stuff that I just simply could not find locally. I just with there was anyplace nearby to get something to eat without dealing with that CF there at that bar in the vendor area. That stupid Subway friggan closes at 2 on Saturday! What the hell kind of micky-mouse operation are they running there? Still, that is such an awesome show it is indeed well run. You should check out the ProgPower forum.

I saw Sonata Arctica

at the Masquerade in ATL when they came through last year and I was so

pleased when I saw they were playing at this years progpower.

It'll be cool to see Freak Kitchen again as well although I could do with a little less of Mattias' crass humour between songs.

This will be the thrd time I've seen Sonata Arctica. Hell, they are going to playing at Jaxx on the third of October, but that is when I'll be leaving for Atlanta! Sucks, because I'd like to see them there as well, especially since that is such a small venue and the last time I saw SA, I got to hang out a bit with the band members. Thier guiatarist remembered me from the first time I saw them there. Maybe - just maybe, I could score a early morning "red-eye" flight to catch right after that show (since theare so so many friggan flights out of the airports around here to Atlanta). In my not-so-humble opinion, Sonata Arctica has become one of my most favorite bands, and to be honost, I don't even think the likes of Linkin Park could even begin to hold a candle to these guys! I have two of Linkin Park's albums, and frankly, I am not the least bit impressed, but at the same time I have all four of Sonata Arctica's album, and they are played quite a bit on my system. I don't remember the last time I played any of Linkin Park's albums. I am so looking forward to Sonata Arctica's new album!

Freak Kitchen will be playing again at the pre-party "showcase". Pretty cool that I'll also finally get to see Vanden Plas as well. Still haven't annouced the other two bands for the pre-party. Mattias' crass humour or not, but you gotta admit - some of the most interesting guitar playing that I've ever seen.

I'll have to try to look you up there at this years ProgPower (assuming that you are going).