Claims it tops the Khorn

jwc

Well at least the guy used Klipsch parts unlike the many Klipsch fans around here who mod their Klipsches into JBLs and Altecs and God knows what else with Klipsch badges.

No doubt the guy likes the speakers, you fellas ought'a know Berenek's Law by now.

Besides, it probably has more extended highs than a Khorn and one can reasonably argue that with it's tractrix midrange horn it might have midrange one would prefer. And like I said, at least it's a KLIPSCH midrange horn and driver isn't it?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first Jay I thought they were drivers stuck in a cardboard enclosure but after further review I guess it is Formica covered MDF, and still uglier than sin[:o]

A very amusing read I'll tell ya[:|]

Not just "Formica-covered MDF", but "Formica-covered MDF at a cost of $2700"!!

I find it interesting that the reference chosen to compare its performance against is the Khorn. That's because he clearly wanted to set the bar high. The rest is subjective, but traditionally, a wide latitude is acceptable and even expected in sales pitches as far as having anything to do with reality.

Better looking than a Khorn? Really!

DM

Well at least the guy used Klipsch parts unlike the many Klipsch fans around here who mod their Klipsches into JBLs and Altecs and God knows what else with Klipsch badges.

No doubt the guy likes the speakers, you fellas ought'a know Berenek's Law by now.

Besides, it probably has more extended highs than a Khorn and one can reasonably argue that with it's tractrix midrange horn it might have midrange one would prefer. And like I said, at least it's a KLIPSCH midrange horn and driver isn't it?

Yes Tom, God knows what horns are in my Khorn's tophats, And, he made them sound Heavenly!

Out of respect, my Klipsch badges are still on the K-400/K-77 motor boards in the back room.

Rick

Considering you could buy a NEW pair of RS-7's that look better and probably my guess to those in here... SOUND much better than his contraptions... blah blah blah...

Oh well Paul Parrot is right..... hahahahahahahahaha We don't know.. cause we don't know..

RS-7s?

Just curious. What is wrong with improving upon the average drivers and horns used in Klipsch heritage speakers? I think that part of PWK's genious was to take average drivers and make great sounding speakers. Definitely room for improvement in certain areas. I'll take the Klipsch badges off if it makes you feel better.

Let me guess, it's all the fault of our decadent society?

Just curious. What is wrong with improving upon the average drivers and horns used in Klipsch heritage speakers? I think that part of PWK's genious was to take average drivers and make great sounding speakers. Definitely room for improvement in certain areas. I'll take the Klipsch badges off if it makes you feel better.

Sounds like you've started on the tequila.......

Sounds like you've started on the tequila.......

lol, all in due time mi amigo!

"Just curious. What is wrong with improving upon the average drivers and horns used in Klipsch heritage speakers?"

I won't say. And you miss the point.

I just find it odd that on a forum where guys discuss turning Klipsch speakers into JBLs, Altecs, TADs and other such things that a fella is being lambasted for making custom speakers using----gasp-----Klipsch drivers and crossovers.

"Just curious. What is wrong with improving upon the average drivers and horns used in Klipsch heritage speakers?"

I won't say. And you miss the point.

I just find it odd that on a forum where guys discuss turning Klipsch speakers into JBLs, Altecs, TADs and other such things that a fella is being lambasted for making custom speakers using----gasp-----Klipsch drivers and crossovers.

........I won't say. And you miss the point.........

Hummm.

Well, "say" Tommy, and "make the point"

I don't have the PWK logo on my 511b/902's or on the JBL 2404's, but I do keep them on the CW bins below the the horns. Considering you, the Klipsch purist, I will remove the badges and make earrings of them per your request.

Oh yes, about your avatar..................[:o]

tc

"Well, "say" Tommy, and "make the point""

I just clarified it, Spongeworthy understands it now.

"I will remove the badges and make earrings of them per your request."

You can make suppositories of them for all I care.

"Oh yes, about your avatar"

This has nothing to do with what I use and everything about the irony of a guy being criticized on the Klipsch site for making custom speakers with Klipsch components. There, I've explained it again, that's twice.

Tom....put all your favorite drivers in a bin and then randomly pick components out and connect them together. Would you really expect it to sound good?

There is a reason for all of the engineering behind loudspeaker design - which is to accurately predict performance. It doesn't take rocket science to see all of the flaws in the engineering of the proposed speaker.

" Tom....put all your favorite drivers in a bin and then randomly pick components out and connect them together. Would you really expect it to sound good?"

Maybe, you know Berenek's Law. I can see the things sounding good from the midrange up.

Might sound as good as a crossover designed by a guy who doesn't know impedence varies with frequency. Or systems that run Altec 902s or TAD 2001s down to 400hz. I dunno. I see lots of questionable stuff on here that doesn't draw the flak these things did.

To me what was funny wasn't the guy's efforts, as misguided as they may have been, but the unrealistic value he placed on them.

All us DIY speakerbuilders start somewhere and often with errant notions. Sometimes we learn.