You guys are crazy, Bo$E IS the best!

tommyboy

No, not really. I'm just curious how many of us have had to hear this from a friend. I have a buddy who wants to get into HT, and has a really decent budget to work with. He came to me yesturday to ask my advice on equipment, and speakers. I didn't even recommend Klipsch only. I told him that there are lots of great speakers out there. PSB, pinnacle, energy, canton, etc .I never even said the word Bose. But he swears that Bose is the best, and apparently, there's no talking him out of his way of thinking. Anyone else had to "deal" with this before?

You have to take this on a case by case basis, and the issue is heavy with user preference.

Although I have a pair of 2004 LaScala's and a pair of 1980 LaScala's, had a pair of Hersey's, and had a few pairs of Cornwalls, for my 9ft X 11ft home office which contains a full size oak roll top desk as well as a large bookshelf and a 3 shelf glass media rack that holds 8 pieces of equipment, the only set of speakers that sounded any good in the small room was a pair of Bose 901's.

The 901's sit on top of my roll top desk, and in that position, meet the placement recomendations as far as height, distance from the corners, distance from the walls, etc.

The room was just too small for Hersey's, Cornwalls, LaScala's, or any other type of horn based speaker.

It did'nt matter if I used tube equipment or sold state equipment. The Bose 901's sounded better in this particular room.

Yup it happened to me just before Christmas. A relative called to ask me my opinion of B#@e, and while we were on the phone we both logged on to this Forum. I then directed him to a number of threads to read. He is now the proud owner of a Denon reciever and a complete Energy speaker system, just could'nt get him to buy Klipsch even though he dearly wanted to, the problem here in Canada is we do not have enough dealers, and those we do have are expensive. But to his credit he loved the look and sound of them, his wallet just was'nt quite deep enough, oh well, win some, lose some..

Tommy---You don't have to deal with it, tolerate it. If the fella thinks Bose are better than they actually are, for him. And Klipsch are better for you. And that's that.

Remember, no matter what speakers you have there are people out there that think they're lousy and that YOU'RE some kind of a goon for liking them. It works both ways.

I wonder if your friend isn't just looking for your stamp of approval instead of actually seeking advice? I get that all the time - and I'll just confront the person on it. What's the point in seeking advice when your mind is already made up?

FWIW, all of the Bose systems certainly sound much better than the $100 Wal-Mart HTIB systems...and Bose certainly has an image associated with their products. If your buddy can't hear the difference then I'd say go for the Bose.

• Moderators

Yup it happened to me just before Christmas. A relative called to ask me my opinion of B#@e, and while we were on the phone we both logged on to this Forum. I then directed him to a number of threads to read. He is now the proud owner of a Denon reciever and a complete Energy speaker system, just could'nt get him to buy Klipsch even though he dearly wanted to, the problem here in Canada is we do not have enough dealers, and those we do have are expensive. But to his credit he loved the look and sound of them, his wallet just was'nt quite deep enough, oh well, win some, lose some..

In a round about way he bought from Klipsch anyway still ok !

Look at the very bottom of the Energy web page !

Tommy---You don't have to deal with it, tolerate it. If the fella thinks Bose are better than they actually are, for him. And Klipsch are better for you. And that's that.

Remember, no matter what speakers you have there are people out there that think they're lousy and that YOU'RE some kind of a goon for liking them. It works both ways.

Ya, you win some, lose some. It's like the war on drugs, but its the war on Bose!

Why is it when things are slow on here, and not much to write about, Bang, we start crapping on BOSE ? If Klipsch spent as much on advertising as Bose does, and TV time as Bose uses ,and print ads as Bose does, and bottom line, has product representatives on college campuses the way Bose does, they would sell some PRODUCT.........................EH ! I don't think Klipsch wants to, I think they are happy with their customer base, to bad, there is alot of money being spent that could belong to Klipsch..........................Just my view......ME, I buy NEW from Klipsch.......twice, and I'll probably buy new again from Klipsch, because I'm a Klipsch customer for life..............

I kinda agree with Tom here. Sure - all of us knowledgeable folks here would steer folks towards other speakers that offer more value and possibly better sound quality, but it really is just our (very biased) humble opinion. Just remember.....there really ARE some people who have a "tin ear" out there. That's not a slam - just a reality. And to them, they truly believe in their mind that what they are hearing is THE BEST sound. And then there are the folks that Dr. Who speaks about who've made up their mind and just want validation. I just think that if one is smart, you'll size up the situation and then deal with "your friend" (assuming they're actually your friend) in manner that will allow them to continue to be your friend. That way you can continue to try to turn them around. [:)]

Tom

Ya, Bose does have the best marketing. They have a monopoly going with the military population. My dad was in the Navy for 26 years, and I've been in the military for 5 years. As far as I can remember, bose has been the best speakers you could buy at AAFES, or on base. So military members who don't know any better are strongly convinced that Bose is the best out there. So it's that much harder to convince co-workers, or friends any differently. My buddy watched the new Texas Chainsaw at my house over the weekend, and LOVED the sound of my system. ( the DTS ES did sound pretty darn good!) But then his wife said that there's no way she's going to put big, bulky speakers in their living room. So, he's on his own now. I'm not messing with anyone elses WAF, so i've given up on this venture.

Ya, they did sell Klipsch for a very short time. The KM line. That was my first experience with Klipsh. I bought a KMC center when I was 16. It was a great center. It's still around. One of my friends back home bought it from me a few years back. He still has and loves it today.

In my previous line of work I was able to travel a lot. I visited all kinds of music venues, jazz clubs, rock, big band, country, audio stores, etc. Some venues were small and some large, acoustical, amplified and non amplified. I've honestly tried to listen to all kinds of systems with an unbiased opinion. To my ears listening to Bose or Klipsch with set ups being equal, the room and other components favor the speaker being listened to. Listening to Bose audio performance is like a figment of realism, listening to Klipsch is like a stream of consciousness in reality.That being said, I also understand that we all do not hear the same. It is easy to understand that we all do not see the same because it is easy to prove, but with hearing it is subjective. In fact, hearing in general is still very mysterious to us. The basic concepts at work in the human ear is fairly simple, but the specific structures are extremely complex.

The auditory system filters out a few simple discrete aspects of complex sounds. Information about how high or low-pitched a sound is, how loud it is, and how often it is heard is then channeled along separate nerve pathways to higher-order processing centers in the brain. This is where millions of auditory neurons can compute the raw data into a recognizable sound pattern. That is just to name a few things the ear accomplishes, not to mention the spatial cues, and the localization of sound.

An example of this would be, if you dropped something with your eyes closed can you locate it only using your auditory localization. What I am trying to say is I respect the other possibilities of another persons hearing or lack of, but I know what I like!! We do not all hear the same or Interpet audio the same