Dtel in hospital

colterphoto1

Oscar that is all the stuff I told him[;)] only in nurse speak. I am so glad my Dad is home. Thank you for all the prayers and thoughts everyone has sent our way... when I came upstairs he was on the computer reading the forum so I am sure ya'll will be hearing from him soon... Our family is very lucky to have such a great guy for a dad and a friend as I am sure everyone here has realized... Jamie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

It appears the nausea has passed...for now at least. However, the gas still seems to be a real issue. We are attempting to relieve the gas pain through natural processes, such as prune juice and glycerin....

Apparently the liquid used for the CT contrast can also cause bowel issues. He still isn't feeling good at all. He did manage to get a little cup of jello and some chicken noodle soup into his body. Muscle spasms caused by a lack of potassium are also aggravating the situation.

No fever.... for which I am grateful....I would be very upset if fever started at this point...

Will post more later...

Thanks again guys.

I agree Michael - even thought he technically isn't my daddy. But he is. All his girls (Christy, 3 daughters, me, Joni, maw maw, and his granddaughters) look up to him more than he knows.

He knows, he's just so cool [H] he doesn't let you know that he knows, ya know? [*-)]

Good call Michael, I like the way Eldon cruises around (my observations from Hope) just kind of taking it all in and really putting it together before he throws something out there although he was right in front of me when Trey and his daughter read his name out and he did get a little jiggy with it[:D]

I'm sorry Dtel I know it hurts when you laugh[:P]

The continued bowel twitchyness is likely still a consequence of inflammation.  I'm curious as to how hypokalemic he was?  Did you have blood electrolytes done which demonstrated the condition?  It should be easily remedied.  Hypokalemia also contributes to constipation.  Just take it easy and don't push the system too hard with gas remedies.  If the bowel is still inflammed the gas may not be able to pass and it will just bloat (oweee).  Keep the surgeons aware of his status.  Do try and get active with some walking.  Rolling from side to side can also help loosen up tight bowels and break loose loculated gas pockets.  I'd like to hear about some stool passing and its character (icky I know).  Same stuff still applies as before.  Have your daughter palpate that abdomen to be certain it's not getting tense.  I already know its tender.  This is not an easy post-op course for an appendectomy.  Sorry I wish things were flowing easier.  Keep us posted.

• Moderators

I am having Christy write this for me...last time I sat here to reply to this post I got a charlie horse in my arm and almost pooped in the seat...

So here goes...first of all I can't believe all the well wishes on this thread. I didn't believe Christy when she told me there were four pages on this thread, while I was still in the hospital. Once again, I have to thank all of you. Your prayers and thoughts are well appreciated.

I must be the biggest ninny on the Forum and I do not have a problem saying that because it feels like I am dying from laproscoptic appendectomy and there is nothing wrong with me. I do not know how you guys that have had major surgery held on. If this what appendix feels like I do not think I could handle heart or back surgery, I would just have to die. OB my hat goes off to you.

I have been trying to go to the bathroom so much whenever I walk by a toilet my a**hole tightens up. I have managed to sh*t myself a little bit. I walk around the house and it sounds like my stomach is boiling, but I walk up to the toilet and it stops.... As far as gas goes that has always been a breeze for me, but now that I need to expel gas it won't happen. I walk around the house and it feels like I could sh*t in just about any spot, but when I sit on the toilet NOTHING HAPPENS. Does anyone know of an upright toilet????

I have to use the urinal before I even get out of the bed...otherwise I would p*ss on myself.

Again, I am officially the biggest ninny on the forum and I am not to proud to say that.

I have been trying to catch a picture of the gas for everyone that has requested pics, but nothing comes out. This is the first time everyone in the house is happy for me to have gas.....

Seriously, all of the thoughts and comments you have posted mean more than you guys can even imagine. It's nice to know we have caring friends and family here on the forum.

And Paul (MeLovesKhorns) thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to call our home and share your professional expertise with my wife and daughter.

We had planned a vacation beginning tomorrow prior to this surgery. After consulting with the surgeon we have decided to go ahead with the vacation. We will have two registered nurses (my daughter and our neighbor) making the trip with us and I am sure they will both be monitoring my every move. If I stay home I am sure within a day or two I would be doing more than I am supposed to, so I am better off taking the trip. Hopefully we will be able to post from time to time while we are gone and if not Christy will be in touch with Michael and he can let everyone know I am still alive.

Again, thanks to all of you, your friendship means a lot, especially in times like this.

Dtel, enjoy your vacation, take your time recovering, and we'll all be here when you get back from your trip. DON'T YOU GIVE CHRISTY A HARD TIME EITHER, or I'll have to come down there and kick your arse................................EH BUD !!!!!!!!!! Best Wishes from one old fart to another..................

• Moderators

Dtel, enjoy your vacation, take your time recovering, and we'll all be here when you get back from your trip. DON'T YOU GIVE CHRISTY A HARD TIME EITHER, or I'll have to come down there and kick your arse................................EH BUD !!!!!!!!!! Best Wishes from one old fart to another..................

For some reason OB it sounds like you know a thing or two about giving your wife a hard time. Dtel has tried every way possible to "jerk my chain" the last couple of days. Between quitting smoking and the surgery he has been quite an old fart. But, this too will pass. After twenty eight years of him helping me (three C-sections and an open appendectomy) the least I can do is STAND MY GROUND. He is really a softie at heart and doesn't mean to be such a PITA, so I will go along with him for a few more days.

Thanks for the threat.....maybe he will listen and lighten up a little bit.

• Moderators

For some reason OB it sounds like you know a thing or two about giving your wife a hard time. Dtel has tried every way possible to "jerk my chain" the last couple of days. Between quitting smoking and the surgery he has been quite an old fart. But, this to will pass. After twenty eight years of him helping me (three C-sections and an open appendectomy) the least I can do is STAND MY GROUND. He is really a softie at heart and doesn't mean to be such a PITA, so I will go along with him for a few more days.

Thanks for the threat.....maybe he will listen and lighten up a little bit.

I know OB I will try to give her a break, I have told her I am sorry 100 times for all the extra things she has to do for me.

She is helping me do things I would have never asked, but don't have a choice right now.

I am lucky .

I really want to thank everyone here, I was very surprised when she told me about this thread

Also thanks Michael for starting this thread, someone needs to say something whenever someone here is down !

I didn't even have any way to read them but just knowing it was here made me feel better Thank you all, it does make a difference.

dtel, wives are truly miracle workers and God Sends at times, been there, done that, just not to the extent that you are at the moment.

Glad to hear you're getting back in the saddle, even if the saddle has a Depends stapled to it. I've been out of work the last three days with the flu, so I have a little inclination of what you're talking about, though certainly not to the extent you do. Best of luck with everything from just another guy you really don't know that's worried about how you come through.

I've never had to do the appendix thing (yet) and hopefully never will, but I know where you're coming from with the whole surgery thing. I think the hardest part is dealing with all the new sensations and not knowing when something is normal or not. I think it helps to be reminded that the pain is only temporary and in the near future it will have felt like a blink of an eye. Perhaps a painful blink, but it'll be nice to have that working again body in the future.

Glad to hear that you're passing gas.  That's a whole lot better than not passing gas.  For those reading this is not the typical recovery from a laparoscopic appendectomy.  Dtels bowels are all fired up as is much of his Abdomen.  He's not a happy camper and yet still is doing all the right stuff to progress w/o incurring further complications.  That's hard and takes a ton of fortitude.  As long as something is coming thru the system I think he's beyond the worst and on the mend.  Most people know what appendicitis is but until you have one it's hard to understand how painful they can be.  They can be chronic or acute.  They can be a consequence of an intestinal virus (many people call it intestinal flu but there's no such entitly) or something as little as eating nuts.  Anything that gets in and plugs up the tiny opening to the appendix will cause it to inflame, not drain and dominoe into appendicitis.   I'm also glad to hear that Dtel is quitting the tobacco.  It's better if I don't start on this issue but those who do use the stuff should follow the lead.  Any medical procedure you'll go thru will have much greater risks simply because of the habit that so dramatically impact the lungs.  Dtel you're one tough bird.  You're not as full of crap as you feel and soon you'll be pooping regular again.  This will all be a bad dream and a wonderful tale the family will enjoy telling over and over again.