Dtel in hospital

colterphoto1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just last week Dtel's trying to keep me from the hospital and then this.  Appendicitis, appendectomy...The surgery is done is it???  Keep the broken parts.  Have them encased in acrylic.  They make great paperweights (doorstop if its a colon).  As long as the silly thing didn't burst in advance of treatment his recovery should be rountine.  Hope everything is fine.

• Moderators

I am going to break the 30 second rule....

I came home to take a shower so I though I would let all of our Forum family know how dtel is doing.

The surgery took a little longer than anticipated. Seems there was preforation (rupture) of the appendix, but Dr. Gilmore (wonderful female surgeon) took some extra time to remove the appendix laproscropically. Seems there was some fatty tissue that had wrapped the perforation, sealing it off. This enabled Dr. Gilmore to complete the procedure laproscropically.

After completing the surgery Dr. Gilmore came to the waiting room and told me I must have jinxed her. She told me all she could remember was me telling her to please try as hard as possible to complete the procedure without opening dtel, because there is no way we could keep him down for six weeks. So, she spent the extra time to remove the appendix with the perforation using laproscropy. If the fatty tissue had become detached the infection would have spilled requiring traditional (open) surgery.

In any event, dtel had hoped to come home today, however, his white blood count is still high (although lower than when he was admitted) and the surgeon wants to see a continued downward trend in the white cell count. So....maybe tomorrow.

I ask that you keep us and our family in your prayers for a continued speedy recovery. Dtel has never been hospitalized for anything and this has taken a considerable emotional toll on our family. Having to put dtel's socks and shoes on him yesterday because he was in so much pain jolted me into realizing how valuable our health is.

And yes, ob we should each be grateful for having one more day.

I can't close this post without thanking all of you, especially Michael and Mac who both spoke with me last night offering complete reassurance and continued love and support.

Knowing all of you really care has made this much easier to handle. I don't want to be away from dtel's side very long, so I need to close for now. Thanks again to all of you.

Hi Christy and Elden, just got back home got quite a surprise scanning the forum and then reading this thread. You know my heart is with you and your family and I'm sure Elden will bounce back just fine----just take it easy there, don't try too much too soon. Christy you are a rock for everyone too, be sure to take care of yourself!

That's great news..............He'll be up and around in a couple of days...GOOD.....First time in the hospital, you know he's freaked out, God smiled on him, so he'll be around for a long time.....................Mrs. Dtel, now you need to calm down, he's better off spending a couple of extra days to make sure everything is fine, they will take good care of him, and you'll have him back in no time..........If you display strength, your family will follow your lead, the worst is over.......Hang in there..........My Best wishes are with all of you...and the Big Guy will be fine.......Count on it..........................

A small little perf as described should be no problem.  They get ugly when the silly things explode sending infected material through out the abdominal cavity.  Then it has to be opened and cleaned out and even then there's a good chance for peritonitis to follow.  That said they found when they opened up my grandpa for another problem that his appendix had burst at one time.  Not only did he not have it treated he beat off the infection w.o treatment.  His gut was full of scar tissue and adhesions (they're actually the same) from it.  But I doubt that that's a typical outcome for ignoring the pain.  Which brings my next point.  When it is a new pain, a severe or exquisite pain or a persistent pain get it looked at.  Dtel's lucky.  He waited just long enough.  Of course I've done the same thing with my shoulder but I'm a trained professional so the same standards don't apply.  Dtel...you'll be back in the saddle really fast.  No sit-up contests for 2 weeks.  You got that!