Dtel in hospital

colterphoto1

Glad to hear dtel is doing well. I guess we should expect to see dtel's appendix joining the forum soon and posting regularly.

Hehehehe.....[:)]

I would suggest placing dtel in front of the Cornwalls, with an approriate accompaniment of scripts, and he should heal up from surgery just fine. It worked for our local friend here......Heritage is the key to healing[:D]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spotted this thread. I am so sorry to hear dtel had to go through this. I had my appendix removed years ago and I remember is being no fun at all. Verna and I will keep your whole family in our prayers. May God bless! -Glenn

Glad you are on the mend.

Also you get to eat as much ice cream as you want.

Ouch!

Oh, Tawny's says ice cream's for tonsils.

Well I've heard ditch digging is a sure cure bound to get you back in shape.

Ouch!

Er, Tickles says that's not a really good idea.

Try drinking lots of beer, yes that's the ticket.

Ouch! Ouch!

Gotta go I seem to have developed a sudden headache.

• Moderators

A quick post...dtel is home and in the bed...finally sleeping...he did not sleep while in the hospital. He his suffering from extreme nausea, which according to dtel's daughter (oldest daughter who is an RN) this is normal. Apparently the CO2 which is injected to inflate the stomach has to work its way out.

I guess the old addage "the bigger they are, the harder they fall." is true. Dtel said he doesn't ever want to have REAL surgery. I know from experience the first surgical procedure is the worst....in fact the pain is unimaginable, until you experience it for yourself.

I wish there was something more I could do to relieve dtel's pain, but all the experts say he will feel 100% better tomorrow.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support, it means more than you will ever know.

Nausea can certainly be present after surgery, but it should resolve soon.

Make sure he is not running a fever, he should be eating soon, passing gas, and able to walk around soon.

Make sure his abdomen is not becoming distended. These could be signs of postop infection, etc. But, it is certainly expected that he will still be uncomftorable. Pain meds can also make you nauseated.

Paul

The use of CO2 as a laparoscopic distension medium can irritate the bowels.  Some use dry, cold CO2 gas which has a greater potential for irritation than warm humidfied CO2 gas.  The mere act of distenting the abdomen can cause nausea.  Also the bowels themselves are irritated from the infection and surgical intervention.  Narcotic pain meds are well known for their impact on bowel function.  The nausea should dissipate quickly.  Severe nausea should not be present for more than a day or so.  It should be treatable with medication.  Post-operative vomitting should be avoided and dietary intake promoted.  The patient should be able to resume out of bed non-stressful activity like walking.  If the nausea continues or appears to get worse then it should be medically evaluated.  If other symptoms arise such as fever, excessive pain, generalized adbominal distension or localized abdominal swelling(s) then get them medically evaluated.  Keep on trucking but be wary as well.  Let us know how things are going.

Sure is nice to have a couple of md's on board. Your reaffirmation surely makes the affected more comfortable. Thanks

Amen, Brother! It's like having a doctors and nurses in the family. Thank you!

Christy, I guess the whole sexy-nurse-after-an-appendectomy concept is like ice cream after a tonsilectomy. Your mind is elsewhere...He may want some ice cream in a few days, though (be prepared!).

Hey Dtel,

When I do laparoscopic surgery, I take pics of the important parts. Did they take a pic of your appendix?[+o(]

If so, you could put the pic here on the forum! That way, Dtel's Appendix could have its' own avatar if it wanted to join the forum...[;)]

Hope your nausea has improved some buddy...

I also agree that your new Cornwall's turned up really loud could help with the healing process...

Paul

• Moderators

A quick post...dtel is home and in the bed...finally sleeping...he did not sleep while in the hospital. He his suffering from extreme nausea, which according to dtel's daughter (oldest daughter who is an RN) this is normal. Apparently the CO2 which is injected to inflate the stomach has to work its way out.

I guess the old addage "the bigger they are, the harder they fall." is true. Dtel said he doesn't ever want to have REAL surgery. I know from experience the first surgical procedure is the worst....in fact the pain is unimaginable, until you experience it for yourself.

I wish there was something more I could do to relieve dtel's pain, but all the experts say he will feel 100% better tomorrow.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support, it means more than you will ever know.

Glad to hear that Dtel got through the surgery o.k. As for the rest, nothing that a good pot of gumbo can't cure.

God's speed Dtel,

Travis

Michael, you are so sweet. This family is surely a team that can't be broken. Its amazing living here, I love it! And not just the 9 that live here, the whole family has tight bonds.

Uncle E (dtel) is the strongest man I know, he's tough without having that arrogant macho I'm too cool for school attitude. He hurts and doesn't say much, he fixes things when they're broken, he almost ALWAYS has an answer for any question I ask, no matter how stupid the question may be. He's like a dad to me. He's a great guy, and anyone who hasn't seen that must be blind.

So, anyway, besides that mushy stuff, he's on the road to recovery. He's just about back to normal, with his same smart *** remarks.

Thanks for all your well wishes for my uncle E and our family, you guys are an amazing extended family!

And, Michael, we're ready whenever you are for the "Rock star" hugs!