Building 7 La scala's

carolinacat

Well It has been over a year since I started gathering info, parts, and plans to make my home theater. The first of this year I started making my first set of scala's. I'll be using ALK networks, Trachorns Mr.Bob's k55 drivers , replacment tweets, and woofers. So far I have everything to make one pair. I decided to use Oak plywood . I have almost finished assembling my first pair as well. Figured I show you guys a pic or 2 . Let me know what you guys think.

post-20738-13819325180632_thumb.jpg

Very nice....looks like a great choice of wood...it has that furniture grade look...I like what you did with the tweeter to reduce the height of the horn area......according to electro-voice...the t-35 works just as good vertical or horizontal...don't let the young-ings tell you otherwise. Back in the days of the first electro-voice and Klipsch Khorns..the the T-35 was vertically mounted inside the mid horn.

Wish you I had know you were gonna do this, I'd have recommended you scrap the ALK Trachorn, networks, K55's, and K77's and opt for a K510 horn and K69K drivers insteas.

Now that I have poo poo'd on you parade I must say nice work, I like oak veneered plywood idea and the trim work is a nice touch too. I am sure you will enjoy the ALK networks and horns though. I currenty use Al's networks with 511B's mated to K55M's and Bob Crites tweeters

"Wish you I had know you were gonna do this, I'd have recommended you scrap the ALK Trachorn, networks, K55's, and K77's and opt for a K510 horn and K69K drivers instead"

Would you also pay for the upgrade...if so...I am intrested.

Thanks guys... Oak is sorta harder to work with ...at least I think so. It seem to splinter/chip worse. So I figured using the trim would help the edges from getting splinterd and chipped worse. The trim was a PITA to make. I definetly give props to professional wood workers. They have more patience than me. Im planning on finishing the in minwax red oak finish and then a few coats of poly.

J.4knee Ive never ever heard a real set of lascala's before so I hope these live up to the hype. If not I can always build the next 5 different.

Those are looking really good.  On the pictures, it would be good if you would resize them before uploading.  That would help out the guys with slower connections. I usually use a width of 640 and that keeps the pics down to around 300 K or less and they will still show up on the thread about the same size as the larger ones.

Bob