SOLD: QSC PLX 1202

cjgeraci

Time to ferret out some of my equipment. For sale, one of my QSC PLX 1202 pro amps. Most already know the background behind these great pro amps. I've run them with RF-7s, Belles, and now Klipschorns, and they are one of the smoothest solid state amps I have heard - and especially for the money. This model has 200 watts per channel (at 8 ohms). Plenty of threads about the QSC PLX amps in two-channel, HT, and the general sections. http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx/plx.htm

The amp has some minor scratches, but is sonically perfect. $300 plus shipping from 63129. Email me or pm me through the forum if interested. Thanks for looking.

post-13160-138193259732_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it has a fan. To my ears, the fans on these are just not that loud. I usually run two PLX in an open rack, and it simply sounds like a mild hum in the background. The fans have never been noticeable to me, even when watching TV - with the amps sitting at idle. If the fan was really an issue, Chris (Tigerwood Khorns) replaced his stock fan with a much quieter aftermarket one for less than 50 bucks I believe. Some have also said that they've read on various boards that QSC has said that you could actually disconnect the fan for home use and be fine, but I could not vouch for that. For 3 bills, its a low risk to try. The worst that could happen is that you don't like it -- and it ends up back in here - or on ebay for more.

Carl.

$20 to add a low flow panaflow fan from Digikey. It is inaudible. The stock fan is very quiet too. By DLP TV's fan is louder.

Great amp. I considered picking this one up and then came to my senses as I already have one in storage.

A friend of mine has a pair of 300 wpc tube amps (VTL I believe). I am trying to convince him to buy a high power QSC for the summer (He has electrostats and B&W's).

Lisa, I have heard these amps in action in Carl's system, and I would buy this if I were not reducing my inventory. Fully vetted, can sell to another forum member if you don't like it within one/two days, and I'll be glad to chauffer it to your door from Carl's house for $25 the next weekend I hit St. Louis.

Odds are you will like it, and it is a superior backup at that cost, if you decide to go that route.

Some have also said that they've read on various boards that QSC has said that you could actually disconnect the fan for home use and be fine, but I could not vouch for that.

Carl.

I believe that came from the QSC support forum. It does void the warranty however.

Not that I have a need to know but what do the 3 pin XLR 1/4" inputs do for you? And if you convert them to RCA plugs will

that hurt anything?

JJK

I use the XLR inputs but I do convert them to RCA plugs on the input end - now fed by my tube preamp (Peach) - and previously fed by my solid state pre/pro (Classe). I simply use XLR/RCA adaptors and they did not introduce any noise into my system. Maybe by using the adaptors, I am not deriving all of the benefits of XLR cables (lower noise for long runs), but the QSCs are low noise anyway when using the adaptors - and using normal length runs.

Carl.

Depends on how you convert them.

If this is like the other recent QSC product I've seen, there are a bunch of DIP switches on the rear panel. I think there is a provision for using unbalanced 1/4" connections, which would be better than just throwing an XLR adapter on an RCA plug. Then again, there may not be much difference between the two. I've heard that QSC is pretty responsive to inquiries like this. You might give them a shout if you don't get a definitive answer here.

My recollection is that the back of the QSC PLXs have XLR inputs and TRS inputs. I use a XLR cable from the QSC to the pre and the XLR/RCA adapter then provides a RCA end (found at most pro guitar shops). Maybe there is a preferable way to do it, but this way seems to work for me - and with no "noise."

Carl.

There really is no need to make up a cable from unbalanced RCA to XLR at all.... there is no benefit over using a simple RCA unbalanced to 1/4" TS ( mono ) plug. The TS plug when inserted in the TRS jack in the amp makes the connection from ring to sleve, the same thing you would need to do with a XLR. ( one pin needs a jumper ) So for what it is worth, just buy a set of premade cables from RCA unbalanced to 1/4 unbalanced ( mono ) or a couple of 3" long adapters.

My QSC is currently about 8 feet away and I can hear the fan in it.... it is a PLX II 3102.... and I find it loud to me ( under 50 db ) but still loud.... at average volumes it is unnoticeable, but for very quiet moments it is audible. It depends on how far away it is from the listening position. If located far enough away it should be virtually silent.

I can vouch that this amp I have is MUCH quieter at idle ( hiss, etc ) than any other I have tried, through the speakers. I have normally had a Phillips power amp on the mains, and I have tried a Yorkville AP500, ( I sold it to my nephew ) an Akai AM-u7 integrated and the factory amps in my Marantz receiver. It is virtually silent even with my ear up to the tweeter.... there is a very slight "switching" noise and I mean slight.

There really is no need to make up a cable from unbalanced RCA to XLR at all.... there is no benefit over using a simple RCA unbalanced to 1/4" TS ( mono ) plug. The TS plug when inserted in the TRS jack in the amp makes the connection from ring to sleve, the same thing you would need to do with a XLR. ( one pin needs a jumper ) So for what it is worth, just buy a set of premade cables from RCA unbalanced to 1/4 unbalanced ( mono ) or a couple of 3" long adapters.

My QSC is currently about 8 feet away and I can hear the fan in it.... it is a PLX II 3102.... and I find it loud to me ( under 50 db ) but still loud.... at average volumes it is unnoticeable, but for very quiet moments it is audible. It depends on how far away it is from the listening position. If located far enough away it should be virtually silent.

I can vouch that this amp I have is MUCH quieter at idle ( hiss, etc ) than any other I have tried, through the speakers. I have normally had a Phillips power amp on the mains, and I have tried a Yorkville AP500, ( I sold it to my nephew ) an Akai AM-u7 integrated and the factory amps in my Marantz receiver. It is virtually silent even with my ear up to the tweeter.... there is a very slight "switching" noise and I mean slight.

Lisa, Michael just clarified that there is an easier way to hook up the amp than I've been doing. (Michael, please correct me if I'm wrong for what follows). It does not sound that either way would give one any sonic benefits over the other because the amp already is low noise....The QSC PLX is a pro amp, and therefore, has two different inputs: XLR like are found with microphone cables and 1/4 TS (mono) plug, which is a plug that accepts a guitar cord. I've been using the XLR inputs. I went out to a guitar shop and bought two microphone cables (XLR) and adaptors for XLR/RCA cables (RCA are the interconnects that you run from your CD player to the Peach, for example). Michael is saying that you do not have to buy a microphone cable (or XLR cable) to hook this amp up. All you need is a RCA to 1/4 TS adaptor that fits on the end of your interconnects and plugs into the amp (which I assume are also available at a pro sound or guitar shop). Alternatively, if you think new cables are best - they make cables with a traditional RCA end on one end (to your Peach) and 1/4 TS (or guitar cord) end on the other. Hope that helps.

Carl.

All you need is a RCA to 1/4 TS adaptor that fits on the end of your interconnects and plugs into the amp (which I assume are also available at a pro sound or guitar shop). Alternatively, if you think new cables are best - they make cables with a traditional RCA end on one end (to your Peach) and 1/4 TS (or guitar cord) end on the other. Hope that helps.

Yes Carl that is correct. I bought a pair of 1 meter cables ( PRO-EL brand ) at Collossimo's music center when I picked up the amplifier. These have rca plugs on one end and a 1/4" TS ( mono ) plug on the other, I had a pair of short adapters, but my nephew got them when I sold him the Yorkville Ap 500.

I can't get a definative answer from husband. He's ambivalent on it. I think I'm going to have to wait/sit this one out. Would be fun to hear it though, but hookup/wireing/fan thing is a bit daunting cuz I'm on the edge of being burned out right now and spring is here with it's necessary work, etc. Booooo.... :(