what to think when a $800.00, amp compares to a 5000.00 pair

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it looks nice! Is it white or a very light silver?

I wish someone around me had a SET type amp cuz I actually think I'd appreciate what they're purported to give. Can't the bass be split off to run from another amp with these to have a perfect world if volumed correctly?

I'm curious as to what db these can go to without sound degradation if one is sitting about ??? 11-ish feet from the speaker wall.

I think it looks nice! Is it white or a very light silver?

I wish someone around me had a SET type amp cuz I actually think I'd appreciate what they're purported to give. Can't the bass be split off to run from another amp with these to have a perfect world if volumed correctly?

I'm curious as to what db these can go to without sound degradation if one is sitting about ??? 11-ish feet from the speaker wall.

If you come thru Minneapolis, I've got plenty of amps to audition. Modified Khorns and even some of the new Tekton Fostex speakers now. Minneapolis isn't that far.

no i havnt got around to bridgeing them yet, it will be this comming weekend B-4 i get the time (WORK SUCKS, I WANNA BE WEALTHY !!!!!!!!!!! anyone care to help me with that) the driver in question is the aer bd 1 attached to an oris 250, supposed to be like a lowther or fostex except on steroids, i was told that when i get around to bridging the amps i would find the bottom end more defined

meagian yes they can be used to drive the mids and highs while using another amp for the bass (although i dont think it necessary with k-horns, the bass isnt lacking IMO even at 1.5 watts) if i am able to acquire the other speakers i would more than likely need to bi-amp, as far as the spl level i dont have the tool but i have ears and while listening to van halens hot for teacher, setting back 9 feet the amp can make my ears hurt

Joe

bills schmills be like me and just create more bills CAN YOU SAY CHARGE IT [:P], i just yesterday sent out 3000 to pay off bills credit cards still have a 4600 dollar one to go OUCH !!!!!!!!! that hurts to say..........i am trying my best to figure out how to buy these speakers...........oh and how to break it to the wife[:S]

seriously though i would bet you will be happy once you get around to bringing 1 home they do sound good

1172449714.jpg

Joe

"..........not that the k-horns with the alk's are lacking"

If you are using the ALK Universal networks with the SE OTLs, it's possible there is still yet some room for improvement over what you're hearing right now. All the SE OTLs (same amp, afterall) I have built sounded a little closed in with the higher order networks I had once been using, and the reduced insertion losses of the very simple type 'A' opened things up for the SE OTLs quite nicely. The amps paralleled for mono operation are even quieter.

Bruce Rozenblit is a very talented designer IMO.

Erik

The SE OTLs with these 15 ohm Lowthers (next to La Scalas) was a really great match. Lowthers just don't do really deep bass well, and the Oris bass bin combination was one approach to working that out. It's the reason I bought the La Scalas in the first place. My plan was to use them in exactly the same way as the white Oris shown above -- or on an open baffle.

post-10533-13819326134636_thumb.jpg

"Something like this would never work with RF 7's would It?"

RF7s are capable of about 102dBs for an input of one watt. Sure, the SE OTls might be a very nice combination; and depending on your listening preferences, could be very satisfactory even in a larger room.

Erik

They might work in a larger room, Eric. But I'd be concerned about the ability of the amplifier to control the RF7's bass. The RF7's don't need all that much power but they do need vice like control otherwise they can sound a bit woolly...