Triceratops/Mungkiman Portland KHorns for a grand...

sheltie dave

Sheltie Dave-

Thanks for the heads up!

I got an email from Mungkiman on these soon after they posted and right around the time the seller responded to my email. The seller (Gary) is a super-nice guy and is the original owner. He put off other buyers while I made the drive from Eugene to check them out (about 2 1/4 hours each way) last night after work. The Khorns have been moved through several states over the years and he has just downsized his system to some smaller Klipsch towers (not sure of the model number).

The Khorns have had the tweeters rebuilt a couple of times and the mids rebuilt also. They have definitely seen some high-dB duty when Gary was living out in the boonies in Montana. All the drivers are correct and sound good. The grills are black and in very good shape. The cabinets are in decent condition, they have a light oil finish on them and a few veneer chips and some damaged corners here and there. The front panels don't have a kick board, so the veneer is chipped or delaminated in a few spots along the bottom edge of the front panel. This could be easily rectified by installing kick-boards which would cover the damage in that area. Or they could be reveneered after filling in any of the defects since Khorns are such an ideal veneer project.

I ultimately decided to pass on these Khorns because I think they have the potential to be brought back to pristine condition--but it will take someone with some modest woodworking skill and some free time (I am short on both of these). Lots of folks would be fine living with them as they are, but there's a bit of an embargo on large speakers with cosmetic blems at my house. They are an excellent deal, and considering the low price of $1000 I'm sure these will be gone in the next day or two.

Gary also has some Forte IIs for sale. Oiled Oak in decent shape with a little damage around the edges of the veneer on the bases and one chip out of a back corner. He's looking for about $400 for those or maybe a package deal with the Khorns.

Hope someone on the Forum snags these.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Heck, for $1,000 - one could slap some handsome wallpaper on them.

Maybe one could, but not me. Most of my experience with wallpaper has been with removing it! I still have bad memories of weeks spent scraping off the painted-over wallpaper to rehab a turn-of-the-century house when I was in school.

But that is a clever idea Meagain. One of the funniest visuals I ever saw was a Ford Country Squire station wagon that bicycle tooling guru Ron Andrews was driving about 20 years ago. He had replaced the faux wood panels on the sides with contact paper patterned with...bricks! Wherever he went in that car people would ROTFLTAO...

Extending that concept, you could have the only pair of "brick" Khorns on the block!

I should reiterate that these Khorns are in good shape, and many members would undoubtedly be fine with them just as they are--I'm just very compulsive.

Triceratops

Hi Ki,

Thanks for your post--yes, it has been a while! Maybe one of these days we can put together a Northwest amp/speaker shootout like we talked about some time ago.

Also appreciate the tip on Echo's Khorns. They look pretty nice in the photos, but what I'm really hoping to find are some pristine, unfinished or lightly finished mid-70's LaScalas. I bought my last set of LaScalas from Kurt and sold them to a friend when I had a financial squeeze. Unfortunately I can't get them back!

How's the 8B working out? Let me know if you ever get down to Eugene--you've got to stop by!

Best,

Triceratops

Hi John:

It's been a while since we corresponded. If you are still looking for a pair of Khorns in your area, I saw a pair of "C" type Khorns at Echo Audio (in Portland for those living in other parts)

http://www.echohifi.com/just_arrived.php

Click on March 8th arrival.

Ki

Hey Ki,

I see you are in Seatlle. I will be spending at least the next 8 weeks out there working on a project and was hoping to hook up with some local Forum members. I am scheduled to be there starting on the 26th, and as of yet I'm not sure when the project is due to be over. For the most part I will be flying home on weekends, but there will be a few where I will stay there, and get out and see the countryside.

Anyway, let me know if you are interested in a get-together.

Mike

Hi Mike:

It would be most welcome to have Khorn listening party in Seattle with you. I am sure we can figure out the timing once you get here. Please send me an email, I will send you my address, phone number and schedule.

Ki

Sounds good. I'll do that when I get settled in.

Mike

Finally sold! I still can't believe they hung around for so long AND a visit/inspection with refusal. $1,000 ????? :|

Meagain,

The number of question marks and the unhappy face on your post makes me feel compelled to defend my decision not to buy the $1000 Khorns in Aloha, Oregon. I've bought enough pieces of Heritage Klipsch over the years to know a great deal when I see one, and this pair of Khorns definitely qualified. I understand that you are puzzled how anyone could walk away from such a great opportunity.

I love equipment and have been accumulating Klipsch Heritage stuff for a while. But I am trying to restrain myself from purchasing something just because it is a great deal. Believe me it is not easy, especially when you are the first one on the scene and you've got $1000 cash in your pocket and a pair of nice Khorns in front of you. But as my collection expands and my available space shrinks, I now tend to place more weight than I used to on things like originality, cosmetics, historical significance, and whether something duplicates or improves on what I already own. As a result the price of something moves further down the list of priorities. Just so you know, I am not a wealthy guy or a trust-fund baby--but I can justify paying for something that I think is worth the money.

I don't have a van anymore, but I hit the bank and put in about 5 hours of driving after work Tuesday night for the opportunity to see and hear these Khorns. I was so trashed the next day that I nearly missed my early-morning flight for a business meeting. I emailed a description on the Khorns to Mungkiman for other Portlanders that might be interested and later posted it here. I hope they went to a deserving home. I love the look of unstained birch raw stuff but it has to be super clean. I'd love to find a pair of unstained mid-70's LaScalas locally in top condition for a similar price, so I'll keep looking.

In the meantime, I'm going to sell off some of my stuff to lighten the space constraints on the home front. I might even post some for sale stuff this weekend. Hope that all makes sense, Meagain.

Best in horns,

triceratops

I see you are in Seatlle. I will be spending at least the next 8 weeks out there working on a project and was hoping to hook up with some local Forum members. I am scheduled to be there starting on the 26th, and as of yet I'm not sure when the project is due to be over. For the most part I will be flying home on weekends, but there will be a few where I will stay there, and get out and see the countryside.

Anyway, let me know if you are interested in a get-together.

Mike

Hi Mike... In case you did/didn't know (and I shouldn't be so brash as to bring this up without his permission) but... Bob lives "near" Seattle as I recall. Near might mean 1 hour away or it might mean 6 hours away for all I know.

Anyway, he's got a pair of Jubilees out there....

If you've got an interest, I'd be happy to send him an email. he is NOT very active on the forum at all.