Quick and dirty..La Scala networks

BS Button

Quick and dirty...the AL is a complete loser to my ears. Upgraded to the ALK and unbelievable improvement.

I would be interested in hearing the ESN500 and ES5800 on the scala.

Todd...are you gonna buy scalas again?

Quick and dirty...the AL is a complete loser to my ears. Upgraded to the ALK and unbelievable improvement.

I would be interested in hearing the ESN500 and ES5800 on the scala.

JC, do you have a pair of LaScalas?

I have what I THINK is a ESN600 (it might be a 500, Al made it for Shawn so he could bi-amp his LaScalas and I got them from Shawn). Point being, Al confirmed to me it would work just fine in my LaScalas.

I have three of them and one of them is currently uninstalled. I'd be happy to send it to you so you could give it a listen. I don't think I'll be installing it anytime soon.

Lemme know if you're interested. As a sidebar, I've got them installed in my LaScalas, so if you find yourself visiting your sister.....

I only know the AL-4 that came with my 2005 LaScalas, and the BEC A's paper in oil which I put in their place. My listening comparison told me the BEC A's had a clearer sound in a few seconds, a little louder, too. I have read folk's posts where they made a change and said it was like taking a blanket off of the speakers. Always thought that was exaggeration, but these are the best words to descibe my experience. This is with SETs; those who listen at very loud levels may have found other things about the AL-4 that work well.

AL's are the networks you want if your using LaScala's for block parties.

A lot of folks like AA's at moderate volume....but at higher volumes some serious distortion and potential driver damage can result.

AL-4's will soak up a lot of power, so it may not be best for flea powered amps.

AL-3's are a favorite of many

ALK universal upgrade seems to combine the best of many crossovers and then take them to a higher level.

The ALK ES networks have the same power bleed as the AL-4's, if you are a moderate level listener you can get by with fly powered amps, flea power won't make it.

While I either own or have owned most of the above, Dean's networks probally fit in somewhere above, but I have not evaluated any of his work.

Q-Man and I did a comparison back in the summer of '02 on my newly refurbished La Scala's, and compared the stock AL's, with A's, AL-3's and ALK's, and the winner was the ALK networks, but just slightly over the AL-3's. The A's were just a smidge better than the lowly AL's. The big differences being clarity and detail as you went up the network food chain.

Mike

AL's are the networks you want if your using LaScala's for block parties.

A lot of folks like AA's at moderate volume....but at higher volumes some serious distortion and potential driver damage can result.
I have a problem with them at even moderate volume.

AL-4's will soak up a lot of power, so it may not be best for flea powered amps.

AL-3's are a favorite of many

ALK universal upgrade seems to combine the best of many crossovers and then take them to a higher level.

The ALK ES networks have the same power bleed as the AL-4's, if you are a moderate level listener you can get by with fly powered amps, flea power won't make it.
Power bleed more than al-3/ak-3? I.e.; I have ak-3 (I like!).... would you be able to explain the power bleed difference between ak-3 & ak-4/ES?

While I either own or have owned most of the above, Dean's networks probally fit in somewhere above, but I have not evaluated any of his work.

The AK-3/AL-3 compared favorably with the ALK's in the test Q-Man and I did. It wasn't a scientific test but we were both in agreement with the crossovers. If you already have the AK-3/AL-3 I don't think it would be worth changing. Never heard the AL-4's so can't comment.

Mike