RF-5 vs Epic CF-4

Mike D

Greetings All! I just signed up. I have a JoLida 302a amp and I am considering purchasing a pair of Klipsch speakers due to there high efficiency. I am trying to decide between the RF-3II, RF-5, or a used pair of Epic CF-4 speakers. I have heard the 5s and 3s on different amps and will probably go with the 5s for an audition UNLESS you who are wise in the ways of Klipsch recommend the Epic CF-4s.

I have a Legacy Audio subwoofer so bass is a non-issue. I am primarily interested in midrange and soundstage.

Muchas Thank Use,

Mike D

This message has been edited by Mike D on 12-12-2001 at 12:17 PM

The CF-4's, hands down! Now, they will sound different than the Reference series. Actually, they will sound different to pretty much anything else Klipsch has produced. They will not have the slam of the RF-5's but will be better detailed. I have a pair of CF-2's which I love but am currently using 2 pairs of Chorus's in my HT setup. The CF-4's retailed for $2500 when new and are huge. Make sure you have the room for them. I would also have to think that you will be getting them for under a grand whcih is cheaper than the RF-5's new (by a long shot)...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

While I have not heard the CF-4 I did hear the CF-2 a few years ago. I thought at that time the CF-2 was the best speaker I heard from Klipsch. Although my equipment has completely changed since then I would be hard pressed to say that speaker outperforms the RB-5's which I'm presently auditioning. These have the most natural presentation with the least amount of midrange coloration of any Klipsch speaker I've heard. Right now I'm deciding between the RB-3's, RB-5's and the RF-5's. Actually, I'm leaning towards the RB-3's because they only have a 6 1/2 inch mid/bass driver and it seems that most 8" 2 ways are never quite as inherently good in the upper midrange. I'd rather sacrafice some bass for midrange purity but it's always a matter of compromises. When I hear the RB-3's I will report back.

Jeff D.

I have a pair of CF-1s and I really like them better than my KLF-20s which I use in a HT setup. The CF-1s are more detailed as Mike said. I have considered using them in my HT setup but I can't muster up the courage to tote them upstairs for a try. Hopefully one day with a burst of energy.

• 5 years later...

RF-5 Klipsch don't stand a chance and If your CF-4's don't have the slam something is wrong either wrong Amp(Not all sound the same) or You have the long baffles which did impede the bass and make it loose but once those are changed watch out.

Good Amp's for CF-4's are the Carver TFM series which they don't make anymore but there are still some around or You can use the Sunfire Amp by Mr Carver Himself.The Bryston's sound really good also and so do the Mark Levingston Amps I saw some for a great del just the other day.

The better the Amps the better the CF-4's sound .Adcom makes a sweet sounding Amp that is perfect for Horn Speakers they lack the slam of a really good Amy but Adcom is one of the best to hear the highs a ADCOM GFA5500 is righteous on highs with another Amp for Bottom like Sunfire .I traded the Adcom for 2 Carver TFM 55X THX Amps and the sound is like a Tube Amp in Highs but a Monster in bottom End.

My vote is for the CF-4's as well. I see those speakers and I picture the Maxell poster in my head with the guy in the chair getting blown away. They are also more efficient I believe at a true 102db@1W@1M and the 12" woofers and large 2" horn have it all over the RF-5's 8" woofers and smaller tweeter. Different timbre between them sure, it depends on what your sonic goals are and what you are trying to accomplish.

If I am not mistaken someone here on the forum is running three CF-4's across the front, and some CF-3's in the back - WoW! [:D]

My uncle is still the origional owner of a pair of CF-2s he purchased when he worked a swallon's in cincinnati YEARS ago (closed down since). I heard them once and they were very nice. I used to own a pair of klf-20s and although I didn't hear them side by side, I remember the CF-2 throwing out a decent sound stage. I'd imagine the CF-4 would take things up a notch or two.

There was a pair of 4's at Ovation in Greenwood someone had traded in,about 5 or $600 best I recall(a few weeks back).They were in pretty good shape,maybe 7.5 or 8 of 10.They also are some uuugly lookin' dudes,(only my opinion)if they weren't so ugly I may have grabbed em'.I also didn't care for the low horn between woofers idea.I'd prefer the 5's for the same money,in my own house,for my needs,no contest.

I already snagged those CF-4's from Ovation. It was a REALLY good deal. Yes they aren't the most handsome speakers ever made, but for me,that takes a backseat to the sound. That makes my 2nd pair of CF-4's. I also finally picked up a KV-4 center off of E-bay. This set-up kills for home theater and blows away any of my friends set-up's. There is a sense of ease that this set-up has at high volume levels that smaller speakers just can't give you. I guess that's what 8 12" drivers will do for you[:D]. To me, small speaker systems always seem to strain with loud movie passages and squash the dynamics. They also sound really good with 2 channel stuff. Maybe not the most liquid midrange ever(I'll leave that to my Mackie HR824's), but great dynamics and low distortion.

Total cost for 2 pairs of CF-4's and a KV-4? Less than $1600.

• 2 weeks later...