hey deano (snipers and the jub envious, STAY AWAY)

bodcaw boy

Seti - Well, what WAS PK's vision for the Jub? That's what I still don't know.

Roy - please fill me in..... Was the vision to have these in commercial settings behind the scenes - or a higher end home system that would be written about/reviewed in audiophile mags, etc? All I know is I've seen the pic of him with the pretty version and can only guess the latter was his intention?

Dean - If you do this review.... I hope & expect you to be blazingly honest (ala Craigish) and not hold back one iota. And, are your khorns still in that room to go back to for reference if you don't have a perfect ear memory?

meagain,

i guess you have missed the threads where that was discussed (miketn, we probably need to write this one down in the jub fact sheet)

the jub was designed for the home. paul's vision was to do a two way klipschorn and then the jub was such a step up to him (and yes it was a 403 wooden horn and that came about because he got to hear an early version of a 510 and thought that it was too small and wanted a bigger horn; go figure) that he thought it should be its own speaker; the klipschorn jubilee; he never wanted to replace the khorn; the khorn wasn't going to go away; just provide another step up. it was about the same time that we were going to fill out some holes in the cinema line. we had a large horn loaded lf and we thought another smaller version would go great and we had the proverbial light bulb come on (a 100 watter no less; got a bllind spot from it) and i asked paul for permission to use the jub lf in the cinema line. kinda of lucky i guess; if that hadn't happened, we wouldn't have all the harmonious and love fest threads going on. you need to get a pair and give me your take on the jub....

have a blessed night,

roy

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are several people that are building jub bass bins right now and my home brewed plans have been circulated. I have made it clear that I have made some intentional modifications.........Which I thought were important/interesting to me. Also I wanted to see what happened. It sounded damn good and I built a second one. Yes Rigma tried to get closer to the real deal...and succeeded. You should have no doubt that his will sound awesome. After months of messin with this stuff...there are some very good plans out there...infact amazing.

There will be a bunch of clones popping up very soon. Just please remember the above statement. No need to tip toe around me..... with PM's or emails to each other stating jc got it wrong.

The build was completely academic for me. It was rewarding and Mark1101's jub clones of mine was hittin my gut less than two weeks ago.

I am all for people Buying the things! Building will be left to a small number of DIY guys just it was with the Khorn.

So if you are looking for plans.....there are some out there that are super professional. In fact...I have seen one that is "pure" flare. Would need a CNC for that one. You won't get them from me. Don't ask. You are welcome to have my scratched plans though......no secret to them.

jc

Since we're quoting...... Dean posted this October 2004

"Ya know, the K-horn has a unique, wonderful signature all its own, and I really like them just the way they are. To be perfectly honest, I see no real reason to go to larger drivers and horns unless one has a relatively large room, or simply lives in a world of extremely high SPL listening -- both being cases where the lower distortion levels would be desirable."

[6] [:D] [:$]

and when you get the jubs and just love them, i have a few posts of yours to look up....[8-|]

have a blessed night,

roy

Travis: I'm trying not to clutter this excellent thread. Got the rib idea from Coytee. Whenever Roy can accomodate us in a month or two is fine by me. I would love to meet him, seems like a heck of a nice guy.

Roy ( I hope it's ok to divulge this ) offered to show me around a few months ago. Even though i'm from AR i've never been to the plant. I do know where Bodcaw is though.

Dean: I've yet to figure it out. Perhaps it is a compliment as you're a respected member of the forum or perhaps some simply want to bust your a$$. I am happy for you & glad you are enjoying your investment.

I'm going to venture to Hope this summer & see if Roy will give me an audition. I'll be packing ribs.

no ribs required....just come on down and lunch will be on me.....

have a blessed night,

roy

Dean: I've yet to figure it out. Perhaps it is a compliment as you're a respected member of the forum or perhaps some simply want to bust your a$$. I am happy for you & glad you are enjoying your investment.

I'm going to venture to Hope this summer & see if Roy will give me an audition. I'll be packing ribs.

Arky,

Let me know when your are going and I will bring an ice chest of sausage to throw in with your ribs (and anything else Roy likes to eat). (I'm serious)

Travis

travis,

both you and arky come down and we will play them plug ugly speakers and then lunch is on me.

have a blessed night,

roy

just give me about a week notice....

• Moderators

no ribs required....just come on down and lunch will be on me.....

have a blessed night,

roy

Arky,

When do you want to go, I will meet you up there. You still have to bring the Ribs, I'll bring the Sausage, and if TubesNHorns can come will have brisket. Let's do it on a Sat., we can have the whole place to ourselves and go nuts in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, it does not matter to me when we do it, any day is fine if I have enough notice, Fri. would be best. I just figure since you are going for a Jub demo, and I want a Jub demo, we might as well try and do it at the same time so we don't wear Roy out.

I will buy lunch to pay back Roy for his hospitality and Arky for the idea.

Travis

• Moderators

Roy,

I still am very interested in seeing if there are any curves with Jubs on a flat wall and what they read. Mine would be on a 21' wall, one could go in a corner on the left, and the right would be 15' from the left with no corner. No room for false corner for that right speaker, so Khorns are out. Trey is getting me really jazzed up about LS2's and top-o-the-line subs. Another Austin forum member just had his LS2's arrive and he is getting things set up. So I am trying to get a handle on what I would be losing without a corner.

Travis

Edwinr, I didn't have a problem with any of your questions in those threads, but it was frustrating because most of the questions you asked had already been gone over several times, both in the threads you appeared in and others. The threads would be rolling along really well, then get derailed with the nonsense and misinformation. I know one time I got angry when you came in with comments that had been addressed in the first six pages of the thread, and I apologize for that. I believe part of the reason you have a bad taste in your mouth is because you got cheated out of the good information -- don't blame us, we tried. As for Roy's title for this thread, cut the guy some slack -- he just wants to have a thread that doesn't get butchered up. C'mon man, how many years have we waited to get him out here to talk about this speaker, and when he finally shows up some people don't have enough sense to treat him with the respect he deserves. This could be a really good thread if people let it.

Roy, would you be so kind as to carry a Klipschorn into the chamber and model out a network for the K-69-A/K-510 for us? I got this idea in my head that the Klipschorn can hit 500Hz, I think that combo might sound pretty good in a Klipschorn.:)

actually deano, we played with a 402 on top of khorn lf and a khorn mid/hf section on top of jub. a 510 ought to work but i would have to look up the polars to see how the coveage patterns might match up.

have a blessed night,

roy

While I don't have extensive listening time to the Jub, I listen to Klipschorns, a Belle, and Cornwalls, every day. I listened to a single Jub in Hope last summer. The easiest way I can describe the difference is that with the KHorn, I know the sound is coming from a speaker. With the Jub, you want to go over to the speaker, stick your head in the big ole horn on top and look around behind them at the musicians. It's almost like the Christmas I was in the first grade, I got a transistor radio when they had first come out. By the time I went back to school on Jan. 3, I was left with nothing but a battery and speaker that made a clicking noise because I had torn the radio apart to figure out how they got those people in there. Listen to a Jub, and you will wonder the same thing. The same bug that bit me in 1973 when I first heard Lascala's, bit me again last summer in Hope. I just hope it doesn't take another 30+ years to scratch this itch.

Speaking of the 510/K69.....Roy...do you have a suggested setting for a parametric EQ for that combo? I have a digital one here (not EV) that I am learning prior to the arrival of the combo. I saw your curve (thank you again) and have an idea but you may have this stored on your hard drive someone.

jc

i think i do somewhere. i will see what i can find.

have a blessed night,

roy

edwinr,

This is a Klipsch forum. The Jubilee is a Klipsch product. Roy is a confidant of PWK and a Klipsch employee.

Parrot is a guy who never listened to a Jubilee, berated Roy endlessly while calling him a liar, by extension accused Klipsch of committing fraud, and has repeatedly made bogus claims and misrepresented them as PWK's thoughts and intents.

Since your loyalty to Parrot overwhelms your sense of loyalty to Klipsch, please post a list of the Klipsch speakers you are ready to part with; I am sure others will be glad to relieve you of them.

Roy & Jubilee or Parrot... not even worthy of discussion IMO.

[bs] [bs] [bs] [bs] [bs] [bs] [bs] [bs] [bs] [bs] [bs] [bs]

Agreed

Companies have loyalty to customers no the corollary, we pay the bills ; get a life.

I could care less about the Parrot deal. Roy is condescending and demeaning to those who ask questions he prefers not to deal with. A poor representative of the company; the worst of any Klipsch employee I have corresponded with written or verbal.

okay so start a thread about condescending and demeaning roy somewhere else. PLEASE!!!

have a blessed night,

roy

meagain,

i guess you have missed the threads where that was discussed (miketn, we probably need to write this one down in the jub fact sheet)

the jub was designed for the home. paul's vision was to do a two way klipschorn and then the jub was such a step up to him (and yes it was a 403 wooden horn and that came about because he got to hear an early version of a 510 and thought that it was too small and wanted a bigger horn; go figure) that he thought it should be its own speaker; the klipschorn jubilee; he never wanted to replace the khorn; the khorn wasn't going to go away; just provide another step up. it was about the same time that we were going to fill out some holes in the cinema line. we had a large horn loaded lf and we thought another smaller version would go great and we had the proverbial light bulb come on (a 100 watter no less; got a bllind spot from it) and i asked paul for permission to use the jub lf in the cinema line. kinda of lucky i guess; if that hadn't happened, we wouldn't have all the harmonious and love fest threads going on. you need to get a pair and give me your take on the jub....

have a blessed night,

roy

Thank you! 403 Horn? Oh boy..... Is there a handy dandy chart or something explaining the different horns that can go with the bin that includes sizes, etc?

I'm anxious to hear them some day. Unfortunately, I've only heard 2 pair of Klipschorns in my life and both are in my house. I've still no real clue how they compare to other's khorns so I fear a possible 'iffy' comparison in my case.

"LaScala owners have it made, they can do it with no problem."

Yup, works very well. Then they just need to add some serious subwoofer(s) to give the poor LaScala's some bass..... ;)

Just curious....have you ever measured the top-end capability of the lascala? I wonder how it compares to the Jubilee...

There are several people that are building jub bass bins right now and my home brewed plans have been circulated. I have made it clear that I have made some intentional modifications.........Which I thought were important/interesting to me. Also I wanted to see what happened. It sounded damn good and I built a second one. Yes Rigma tried to get closer to the real deal...and succeeded. You should have no doubt that his will sound awesome. After months of messin with this stuff...there are some very good plans out there...infact amazing.

There will be a bunch of clones popping up very soon. Just please remember the above statement. No need to tip toe around me..... with PM's or emails to each other stating jc got it wrong.

The build was completely academic for me. It was rewarding and Mark1101's jub clones of mine was hittin my gut less than two weeks ago.

I am all for people Buying the things! Building will be left to a small number of DIY guys just it was with the Khorn.

So if you are looking for plans.....there are some out there that are super professional. In fact...I have seen one that is "pure" flare. Would need a CNC for that one. You won't get them from me. Don't ask. You are welcome to have my scratched plans though......no secret to them.

jc

I also have heard their are plans out their, but am not sure who has them. Just to be clear, I don't have any plans to share! I spent 6 months designing and building my clones and did it one piece at a time. My sketches and notes would have no meaning to anyone other than myself, (my wife has call me a mad scientist for years). I really don't want to sound rude and will help anyone by sharing the building techniques I used, I just don't have any plans.

rigma

wow! i'm just proud that you are talking to me!!

good question.....these are klipsch speakers.........this is a klipsch website........there are people that are interested in the jub experiment (and deano's comments).......all we need is those that just like to snipe to stay away........not those that actually have something to offer.....some insight.........i am not just looking for good comments....i am looking for constructive criticism.........when i first heard about the jub woes on the forum, i just wanted to let people know that jub system could be had that was better than the one we thought about bringing to market for alot less. yes i know that we offer the unpretty model, but gosh, i saw what people were putting in their homes and i thought that this just might fly. i appreciate your suggestion but no, the jub doesn't have to be put in the corner. i don't believe that pwk would have like that at all.

and controversial.....you are the man!!

have a blessed night (i mean it allan),

roy delgado

Roy,

I know you followed my build and would like to know if you feel I got close enough to the real Jubilee to even be worthy of being able to call them a clone? Just wondering if the beautiful sound I am getting is close to the real Jubilee sound.

rigma

hey rigma,

i would like your opinion on the sound as well see below. i think of all the plans i have seen, yours ranks way up there. i wish i could say more; i hope you understand . I have been in manufacturing all my life and I totally understand "intellectual property" would certainly call them a clone; a much more beautiful clone for sure. i am really impressed with your skills and patience....Thanks so much you ever thought about working for a speaker company? I never say never but I currently enjoy being self employed.

have a blessed night,

roy

We spent several hours tonight listening and tweaking. The bass seemed a little overwhelming so I checked the FR with my RTA and saw a broad peak centered around 80hz (probably room) I had to EQ -8db 1 octave at 80hz to get it to look flat on the RTA at the listening position. It now sounds wonderful, but I may have gone a little to far. By the way, I had a peak at about 125hz instead of 80hz with the Khorn.

I have been reluctant to post because I have gone from passive on the Khorns to active on the Jubs and just need some time to dial it in. I have your settings for the EV and am using them with the Crown active but some of the Q settings you use are not available on the Crown. I may want to talk to you about this but lets wait till I try the passives which I hope to use long term. The Jub passives should be complete this weekend.

Bottom line is the clones are the most refined and best sounding speakers I have heard, even at this state of tuning. More to come with more time to optimize.

rigma

• Moderators

Travis: How about the weekend before Memorial Day or the 1st wk end in June? Friday or Saturday works for me, let's let Roy decide which would be less disruptive. Golf gets in my way in the summer.

Arky,

Either is fine with me, I agree, let Roy decide what is best for him, Sat. if possible, but not required. It Tubes-N-Horns is serious he can let us know if either weekend will work as well. I would enjoy the company on the drive up there. If he can't go, maybe Seadog, JWC or other DFW member will want to hitch a ride. Luther may want to go, not sure what Doc in Waco is up to. I also need to check with Coytee if he is going to be around either weekend to see if I really can come over.

Travis

I also need to check with Coytee if he is going to be around either weekend to see if I really can come over.

If you are serious about a visit as opposed to just funning around (realize I'm about 11/12 hour drive from Hope), you are certainly welcome. I have two spare bedrooms (one with trundle bed) if that helps to know... also...we have a .0004783053 star hotel in town [:$] if that makes anyone more comfortable. I live about 12 miles from this junction.

As for timing.... I currently know of nothing that the wife has in mind that would cause any issues with your timing. If you do drive this far (flying will change this comment), I'd ask if you are going to Indy and if so, are you driving?... you could make the trip up a day or so prior to driving to Indy and we could go up together? (just a radical idea to perhaps blend a couple events into a single road trip). Flying obviouisly changes some logic there. If you drive, you could swing through here, visit, stay over on way up and on the way back. Give you a chance to go to Indy with the Jube experience immediately behind you.

Just ideas for the melting pot.

Side comment in case anyone DOES visit and feels need to bring something. First, for the record, there is no need to. I get my fun out of watching others enjoy themselves. You can ask anyone who's been here, I try to hand the remote over and let the visitor have the keys to the system.

I can relieve you of the thought to bring something 'bubbly' as neither my wife nor myself drink alchohol at all. Well... once in a while during summer, she'll make herself a margeruita (sp?) but that's about it. It's a nice gesture but I'd hate to see someone waste some money on something we'd really never use. I've always been a Coke Classic person.

As for clarification of what I sent Roy (not that anyone needs to do this brand), I had ribs from Montgomery Inn sent to him along with some Graeters ice cream for desert. Graeters has its own website (http://graeters.com/). Montgomery Inn can do a gift pack and include some Graeters. They show some Graeters flavors but have others so don't let their posted flavors limit you. Roy's favorite flavor was.... [6]

http://montgomeryinn.com/onlinecatalog/combinationpacks.html

They'll ship in dry ice so shipping isn't a problem.