SET, yes. 2A3 Moondogs, absolutely!

jazman

The NorCal gathering this weekend was a great opportunity to hear a number of different power sources for wonderfully efficient Klipsch speakers. It reinforces my belief each individual set his/her own set of guidellines for what sonic characteristics appeals to them. More importanly, it was agreat opportunity to debunk many of the SET bashing statements often posted in this forum by those with only limited exposure to SET amps, and think all SET amps are the same. They are not! Moondogs plus the Ultimate upgrade package, do not take a back seat to VRDs, but maybe it's because I listen to mostly Jazz. Sorry Craig!

Klipsch out!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sounded great to me, Edmond, but the only way for me to truly evaluate them would be to have them in my own home for, maybe, a month...

I promise, no "Oom Pah Pah"...

The 'dogs actually rock pretty well. I don't usually drive them that way, but my older son has on occasion, and he says they do ok.

James,

I have been wondering if you wish you had kept the Moondogs? I really like them a lot.

Bruce

The 'dogs actually rock pretty well. I don't usually drive them that way, but my older son has on occasion, and he says they do ok.

James,

I have been wondering if you wish you had kept the Moondogs? I really like them a lot.

Bruce

Yes!!

They were a experiment for me since I wanted to hear SET amps and they sound great. 2006 was suppose to be the year I paid off bills and got back in financial shape. Instead I bought the Moondogs, Fortes, and a lot of different tubes.

So the only reason I sold them is because I needed the money. They could play louder than I listen at in my living room, 15 x 15 x 8. If someone listens at very loud levels and has a large room they would not work.

post-13699-13819329916338_thumb.jpg

Fini,

If I could live without them a month, you would be on. But I can't.

I posted these comments apart from the gathering as something positive about the viability of SET amps, and not the BS that has gone on here in the past. "One" of the reasons I had stopped posting here was due to the same grossly negative statements about SET amps over and over. Now that you and the few other have experienced a well done SET amp with their own ears, the BS does not have credibility.

It simply needed to be said.

Hopefully, this will create a more open mindset among readers. I'm not selling SET amps. Simply weary of the push by some to depict all low powered SET amps as something less desirable or less credible within the audio experience. The true beauty of high efficiency speakers from Klipsch or other brands, is not how "high" the power that's needed, but just how little high quality power is required.

Klipsch out.

James,

Bruce

Yes!!

They were a experiment for me since I wanted to hear SET amps and they sound great. 2006 was suppose to be the year I paid off bills and got back in financial shape. Instead I bought the Moondogs, Fortes, and a lot of different tubes.

So the only reason I sold them is because I needed the money. They could play louder than I listen at in my living room, 15 x 15 x 8. If someone listens at very loud levels and has a large room they would not work.

Moondogs work in much larger space than you think. My room is over 17' wide, 25" long, with 20 ft ceiling. I think that qualifies as a high volume room.

Klipsch out.

The true beauty of high efficiency speakers from Klipsch or other brands, is not how "high" the power that's needed, but just how little high quality power is required.

I'm afraid I have to agree, and it kills me to say it.

The true beauty of high efficiency speakers from Klipsch or other brands, is not how "high" the power that's needed, but just how little high quality power is required.

I'm afraid I have to agree, and it kills me to say it.

[;)]

Fini,

If I could live without them a month, you would be on. But I can't.

How about if the two of you just live together for a month? [:D]

Regarding SET, I also agree. With Klipschorns, they can play as loud as I need for at leat 98% of my listening.

The NorCal gathering this weekend was a great opportunity to hear a number of different power sources for wonderfully efficient Klipsch speakers. It reinforces my belief each individual set his/her own set of guidellines for what sonic characteristics appeals to them. More importanly, it was agreat opportunity to debunk many of the SET bashing statements often posted in this forum by those with only limited exposure to SET amps, and think all SET amps are the same. They are not! Moondogs plus the Ultimate upgrade package, do not take a back seat to VRDs, but maybe it's because I listen to mostly Jazz. Sorry Craig!

Klipsch out!

Edmond,

I think you and I have similar tastes in audio. I still have my Moondogs with Ultimate upgrade package. I also use the RCA blackplates with them as well as the fabled RCA black single plate tubes.

With that said I listen to my Welborne DRD45s about 90% of the time. If you ever get a chance to live with a 45 amp in your system, try it, I think you'll like it. I have been a 45 devotee for over 3 years now. I recently received the Welborne Star Chief kit that I'm currently building. It's supposed to be an upgrade over the DRD45.

Before Saturday, I had not heard SET amps. Needless to say I was very impressed. Jazman is correct. They are plenty powerful driving Klipsch speakers and are incredible sounding. We turned it up louder than I would ever listen and the moonies handled it just fine. Having read for years all the anti - set remarks and vitriol associated with the topic, I really didnt know what to expect. Those who say that a SET amp is not a viable option are either full of it or havent heard a good one!

Josh

Mark,

IMHO, the Korn's mid and upper end bested the Belles (of course we're talking of two different beasts, the Belles being mostly stock, and the Khorns with Al's Trachorn and the JBL baby cheeks). The bass was bloated and bouncy (from lack of corners/lively room). It's time to help Bob remodel that room! [;)]

Before Saturday, I had not heard SET amps. Needless to say I was very impressed. Jazman is correct. They are plenty powerful driving Klipsch speakers and are incredible sounding. We turned it up louder than I would ever listen and the moonies handled it just fine. Having read for years all the anti - set remarks and vitriol associated with the topic, I really didnt know what to expect. Those who say that a SET amp is not a viable option are either full of it or havent heard a good one!

Josh

With the right room and speaker they are wonderful.

Is there a MDeneen SET design in the future?

hi James......

give a shout sometime and come over for some Moondog time if you want.....

and you can give a listen to the monsters...haven't hook em to my Belles yet....

Al

Nice shrooms I'll take two.