Quitting Smoking

woodsman

The idea of making tobacco illegal has been brought up.  I ventured this idea earlier on the forum but will restate it here. 1st tobacco could not be instantly made illegal.  There would be too many economic and social consequences.  That would ultimately end up with an underground black market for the products and lots of headaches.  The real problem with tobacco is that young people start the habit.  They are targeted by tobacco advertising.  Fact is that one year a person cannot legally obtain tobacco and on their next birthday they can.  Here's a way to end tobacco in one lifetime.

Make the age to start using tobacco the same in every state.  Increase the age to use legally tobacco by one year every year.  If the legal age this year is 18 then next year it would be 19 and so on.  At the same time end all tobacco advertising and promotions.  

In this fashion those not of legal age at the onset would never attain legal access to tobacco.  Those who did have legal access could retain that access until they quit or die.  This way the impact that tobacco has on our economy would slowly erode giving tobacco related industry time to source new business avenues. This way those who truly desire to use tobacco can.  In the beginning there's no doubt that some young people would still start tobacco habits.  In time, as the legal age limit matures, tobacco would become further away on youths radar screen and immediate peer influence would be gone. 

Even this idea has its problems.  Assume that it is done.  Do we not allow foreign visitors to use tobacco while in our country?  It would require user hard identification with every purchase because the vender now must differentiate between adults who naturally all look similar.  Also this could not be a law, it would have to be regulation.  It can't be law because it discriminates between adults which is illegal.  But if tobacco was regulated as a drug by the FDA they could implement this sort of plan.  In one lifetime tobacco would become a historical topic.

Day 7.

After about 10 days with very little sleep, I stopped taking Chantix Tuesday. I'm fine without it. My wife is still taking it though, convinced it's all that's keeping her off the cigarettes.

I took the day off yesterday to play golf with my son. We joined 2 guys, both smokers. I always smoked more than usual while on the golf course but it didn't bother me at all.

People always talk your sense of taste and smell becoming more sensitive. I finally noticed that for the first time this morning. Walking by offices, I notice perfume, cologne, coffee, etc. that I never noticed before. Some smells I'd just assume not notice but it's still pretty cool.

Don't get me wrong. I still miss it and have the urge quite often. It's getting a little easier though.

Oh yeah. My wife says I've stopped snoring.

This is bizarre. It's like a whole world of smells just opened up this morning and it's getting stronger by the minute. Every place I go at the office, places I've been a thousand times, smell completely different. I can smell the paint in the stairwell, the paper in the copy room, the musty smell of the garage. I won't say it's like being blind your whole life and seeing for the first time but it's the closest I can come to describing it. It didn't happen gradually either. One minute it wasn't there, the next it was. Was it like this for anyone else?

I had to go back on the meds. I think I would have started back today. I went to bed at 8:15 last night just so I wouldn't have to deal with....well, anything.

Whoever said days 7-10 were the worst knew what they were talking about. Its become much harder over the past couple of days.

I thought my wife would be the one to have trouble with this. She's doing great and I'm a mess. Hanging in there though. No plans to give up.

Garymd..................Get through the first 2 month's, and you have it beat..............The first time I got alittle drunk, and didn't smoke a cigarette, I knew I had won the smoking battle..............Hang in there......You have to be stronger than the habit.....................GOOD LUCK................

Sorry I haven't posted on here for so long. Been really busy. Keep going strong guys, youre doing great. It's been almost a month for me now. I don't even really get urges any more. Best of luck to all you. Meds or no meds, do what you gotta do to quit!

Are you still hanging in there Gary? Has it gotten any better for you?

Getting easier. Thanks for asking. Still miss it though. Maybe I always will. If it wasn't for my commute, I think it would be much easier. My wife is doing great except the Chantix really bothers her stomach. At least she's able to sleep while taking it.

Travis (DWI Lawyer) started on Chantix this week and is supposed to stop altogether this weekend. I haven't heard much from him though. I hope he's still on track. You out there buddy?

I am glad to hear that it's getting a bit easier for you G. Give that some thought, and remember how far you've come already if you ever feel like picking up a butt. Not to mention how long you'd have to go through this agony all over again one day if you start and then quit again. I hope I'm not sounding condescending, and granted it's small consolation at this point, but I am sure you'll find that it will continue getting easier and easier as time goes by.

I am not around too many smokers myself, so I don't really think about it much if at all anymore. About the only time I really do think about it is when I see or smell someone hammering a nail. As far as missing it goes, it's quite understandable that you'd miss it for since it's been part of your daily routine for such a long time.

Are you still hanging in there Gary? Has it gotten any better for you?

Getting easier. Thanks for asking. Still miss it though. Maybe I always will. If it wasn't for my commute, I think it would be much easier. My wife is doing great except the Chantix really bothers her stomach. At least she's able to sleep while taking it.

Travis (DWI Lawyer) started on Chantix this week and is supposed to stop altogether this weekend. I haven't heard much from him though. I hope he's still on track. You out there buddy?

I hear ya on missing it. I ran into one of my old "smoking" buddies today, and he lit one up right in front of me. It would be a lie if I said I didn't almost want one. But I was strong, and didn't ask for one. First time that's really happened since I quit. Driving has always been a trigger for smoking fo rme. Luckily, I only drive 8 minutes to and from work, so........