Belle, what is the path of the sound?

Coytee

Although I realize the path of the sound is the same as the LaScala... I've never ever ever ever seen the 'insides' of a Belle.

That front grill kind of taunts me, making me want to pull it out/off (is it removable?) so I can see just how it's attached. I presume the Belle is 'just like' a LaScala that has been shortened in depth, creating the front flat part (that would otherwise become the point on the LaScala).

So, anyone have any pictures/schematics (pics preferred) of an exploded Belle? (and just as soon as I type that out, I get some SCARY visions of Fini finding some really gross pictures of some "southern belle" and her "blowing up" in some flatulant kind of way......definately a scary vision [:^)])

May as well show all the naked speakers while we're doing the LaScala!

D-man posted this in 2003

if you check the cross section labled section A at the upper left, you will note, thet the grills are just V inserts that do not represent anything architectural underneath.

some of the other differences between the LaScala and Belle, aside from the depth and width you mentioned is

The lack of the straight non expanding section after the first 90 degree turn that exist in the LaScala and does not exist in the belle

The Belle has a 4 sided dog house when viewed from the top or bottom whereas the LaScala has a 5 sided one

There are more, but these are the major ones.

Belle_Klipsch_plans1.pdf

pauln, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yes, that's not the case. As you know see it, the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Bell is a La Scala that has been stretched sideways and shortened front to rear and top to bottom. The design modification was done for cosmetic purposes to make it more attractive as a center speaker between two Khorns in PWKs 3-channel setup.

Klipsch succeeded admirably on the cosmetics front. IMO the Belle is one of the most attractive speakers ever made.

The changes to the La Scala dimensions were not without compromises in performance. The most notable being the shorter squawker horn needed to fit in the shorter depth. That necessitated a squawker horn with a higher LF cutoff than the La Scala and Khorn, but still lower than the Cornwall (if Im incorrect about this well soon hear about it). The sonic compromises were perceived by most to be negligible or relatively minor; more than offset by the increased WAF.

PWK and Klipsch were surprised when customers started ordering Belles in pairs to use as primary speakers.

All this time I thought the Belles' woofer fired forward, horn enclosure directed back, then front; one more folding of horn than the LS - not the case?

That appears to describe a back-loaded horn, where the woofer fires forward directly but whose back waves are loaded into a horn for enhanced bass. That's essentially the design of the old Klipsch Shorthorn. See http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957l.jpg and http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957m.jpg.

The Belle and La Scala are FULLY horn-loaded systems -- like the Klipschorn, the entire range from bass to treble is propagated through the three horns -- tweeter, midrange and bass horns. No direct-firing woofer, speaks only go through horns. So, the woofer has to be in a sealed cabinet and pointing backward into the throat of the horn.

Here is a pic of my doggie house.

belledoggie.jpg

I have been wanting to trade up to Khorns but I like them too much. I am going to just add Khorns : )

Bravo!! That was also my problem - I just like my Belles to much.

I was at the crossroads when I acquired Khorns, and I am very happy that I kept my Belles (and moved them to the rear).

Now, music with two Khorns in the front and two Belles in the rear - is spectacular.

Carl.

I know what Pauln is talking about. Someone, years ago, had posted a drawing claiming it was the Belle. It showed a back chamber at the very rear firing forward into a duct, then the duct wrapped back in two paths, and turned at the rear corners. It was a front loaded horn with a compression back chamber.

It was not a Belle of course.

The only thing which works like that I know exists is a big EV folded bass unit.

Gil

All this time I thought the Belles' woofer fired forward, horn enclosure directed back, then front; one more folding of horn than the LS - not the case?

That appears to describe a back-loaded horn, where the woofer fires forward directly but whose back waves are loaded into a horn for enhanced bass. That's essentially the design of the old Klipsch Shorthorn. See http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957l.jpg and http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957m.jpg.

The Belle and La Scala are FULLY horn-loaded systems -- like the Klipschorn, the entire range from bass to treble is propagated through the three horns -- tweeter, midrange and bass horns. No direct-firing woofer, speaks only go through horns. So, the woofer has to be in a sealed cabinet and pointing backward into the throat of the horn.

I remember distinctly, when I spent a full day with PWK in 1985..........while we were at his home listening to his Khorns (with false corners) and the Belle in the center. He said that after he designed the mid horn for the Belle, and compared to his other measurements, he thought the K-400 horn on the LaScala and Khorn were "a lot longer than they needed to be." Don't know exactly what it meant, but that is what he said.

Claude