POLL: Fun with bias/voltage meters? What is your wall voltage?

meagain

I would love to know what the average is for wall voltage readings here. Would anyone be up for testing their outlets with their tube bias meters or whatever gadget does the trick? I'd like to know the number, and if one has a voltage regulator (not conditioner, etc), I'd like to know what brand/model it is, what it's regulating from and to. How 'bout it?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

During the day, when usage in the house and neigborhood is relatively high, I get around 117 V (+ or - a volt) on my Beckman. At around midnight, on the days when I've stayed up that late, the highest reading I've seen is around 123.4 V.

A poll like this will tell you very little useful information. Use different meters measuring AC and you will get different voltage readings.

For example both of these meters are plugged into the exact same power strip.

Shawn

Oh god thanks for posting that.........

A poll like this will tell you very little useful information. Use different meters measuring AC and you will get different voltage readings.

For example both of these meters are plugged into the exact same power strip.

Shawn

I think Your meters need calibrating. Mine read pretty close

Meters.jpg

Even my old Analog Crown Control Center, which is over 30 years old is pretty close.

Crown.jpg

Speakerfritz - I see the monster is supposed to keep it at 120. Your getting 124 must mean it has the +/- 5v leeway? And a meter tests at 124 when plugged into it's outlet? (I.e.; you double checked it?)

If a person has a max swing of 4-5 volts (me), I question the need for voltage regulation.

"I think Your meters need calibrating."

Nope, they meter in different manors. That is why the readings of different meters can be different and comparing against different meters does not tell much. Is the meter showing true peak to peak, showing RMS or showing something else? Measuring a voltage that is literally changing at any single instant isn't quite so easy as measuring a constant voltage such as DC.

Shawn

Dean,

"based on what I just saw in the other thread, I gather my SI doesn't need the Furman I'm using. "

Depends upon the power adapter they include with it. What does it say for input specifications on the adapter itself?

Shawn

"Your getting 124 must mean it has the +/- 5v leeway?"

My regulator steps in .9 volt steps.  So 124, 124.8, 123.2 would be possible.

If you have glass screw type fuses, cloth 2 wire runs, and a single phase AC system, and have power flux's when ever you turn on an inductive appliance such as a sump motor, pool pump, washer, dryer, frig, ballast lighting, I'm thinking you need a PFC device (power factor correction) which is basically a metal box with capacitors in it that store voltage and release it between cycles.  This is simular to how a motor run capacitor operates.

Here is a simple PFC device.  It costs about 300 bucks.  It's a 10 dollar metal box with 80 dollars worth of capacitors in it.