POLL: Fun with bias/voltage meters? What is your wall voltage?

meagain

anarchist!

remember that the loads given are always baised on 240volts, also this is not maintained as appliance reach

its opperating temp and turns its self off , diversity.

Thanks Silverfox. In my rush, I ignored the 240 volts and made no adjustment for it. Looking back at it, I wondered what I did because a water heater circuit is generally 30 AMPs but I didn't have the time to examine what I did.

The items I listed all added together would actually come out to ~97 amps if my math is on the money. Granted, the loads aren't continuous and unlikely to all be requiring full current simultaneously. Of course, if your central ac is running, you are roasting a turkey, using the four burners on your stove, microwaving some vegetables, washing and drying some clothes, and using a blow dryer while someone else decides to vacuum, you may have a problem.

I guess my point was simply you can exceed a 100 amp service in todays world. Your main would trip and you would learn you can't turn everything on.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Lisa you need to do two things, and two things only. Well three things. First, you need to call your power company, and ask them if they provide home surveys regarding safety issues. The next time you get your power bill go through all of the stuff they enclose that you normally throw out, or the back of the bill, and they will usually tell you what types of service they provide. This is usually free, and from what your description of things, you need someone out there right away, and it aint the guy you out there before who didn't say anything about the box.

Next, go to the local "high end" audio dealer there that you do business with, or call them, ask them if they have an electrician they reccomend that knows what he/she is doing when it comes to correcting electrical issues that apply to audio. There are a couple of guys here that are know by all the audiophile folks as really knowing what they are doing when it comes to reducing noise on lines.

Third, look at your TV, if you stare at one spot do you see a horizontal line all the way across the picture that moves down vertically and then starts back up at the top? If so you have improper grounding issues that only an electrician can take care of.

Travis

If I may be so brazen as to sidetrack this thread a smidgeon...

Mr Mas, I am somehow oddly offended by this line in your signature:

DaretoSlack : When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness

I daresay that is not laziness, but efficiency. I don't know that laziness is a trait that can be attrributed to any animal other than man, and only because we have developed enough to know what is required to do to survive. Some will simply choose to do just the minimum. I believe the correct line should be:

In all of nature, teamwork results in increased efficiency.

Of course, your line may be in jest, in which case you may disregard this post completly. [;)]

I will have to try to remember that the next time I am in a meeting talking about what we should be accomplishing if only I wasn't in a meeting.

And can you name one committee that EVER actually resulted in increased efficiency. I don't mean the talk about about increased efficiency, but the actual increase? We would all be delighted to hear about this anomaly of nature!

I guess in nature, the inevitable power of entropy is simply a march to ultimate efficiency.[:P] [;)]

Mas, increased efficiency happens quite a lot as the result of committee meetings in our industry(nuclear and hazwaste production/demolition.) There is something about people working in radiation and high radiation fields where EVERYONE likes to get the job done, done well, done once, and done fast. Complete buy-in works wonders.

Now that I'm back on the federal side of the tracks, and dealing with scientists on a university campus-like situation, it is back to having a meeting to decide who should be on the efficiency committee, which is scheduled in two weeks.

If profit, safety, and fear are removed from the equation, efficiency dissappears. This thread is a great example - it has taken Lisa almost two years to cotton to(but still not admit) the root cause of her VRDs blowing up is anything other than something solely internal to the amps.

BTW Lisa, my wife just called. The control for the stereo and computer dedicated lines is set at 120 volts. With a calibrated Fluke, the lines are 120.1 and 120.0 now. They ranged from 120.2 to 119.9 in the past 24 hours, as per the peak low and high holds. Our electrician did a good job(and was well compensated.) [:|][:D]

Anyone watch 'The Office'?. In the recent episode "Safety Training", Andy came back to work after taking his Anger Management Classes (wanting to be called Drew), Dwight Schrute decided to shun Andy/Drew for 3 years. Unfortunately for Dwight, Dwight just HAD to talk to Andy. Dwight would announce he was un-shunning Andy, talk to him, then go back to enforcing the shun.

Sheltie Dave - I am officially un-shunning you, though due to the shun, I realize I may not get a response..... But here it goes..... (Un-Shun) What "control" gadget is set to 120v? (Re-Shun).

I will have to try to remember that the next time I am in a meeting talking about what we should be accomplishing if only I wasn't in a meeting.

And can you name one committee that EVER actually resulted in increased efficiency. I don't mean the talk about about increased efficiency, but the actual increase? We would all be delighted to hear about this anomaly of nature!

The only thing more unlikely than audio flynn agreeing with me is the possibility I would ever agree with Mas or feel he stated something in a direct and simple fashion. Hell has frozen.

I have to go drink now.

I will have to try to

remember that the next time I am in a meeting talking about what we

should be accomplishing if only I wasn't in a meeting.

And can

you name one committee that EVER actually resulted in increased

efficiency. I don't mean the talk about about increased efficiency, but

the actual increase? We would all be delighted to hear about this

anomaly of nature!

The only thing more

unlikely than audio flynn agreeing with me is the possibility I would

ever agree with Mas or feel he stated something in a direct and simple

fashion. Hell has frozen.

I have to go drink now.

LMAO

It is a wee bit early to start drinking but it is the weekend.[:D]

Dean (backstabbing traitor [;)])

I picked up the AR-15-II on eBay for $440 shipped I was told it's just an updated/upgraded version of your unit with better filtering or something. Parts Express raised the price on your unit to just over $400 my cost so I figured why not pay the extra $20 and get the latest updated version. Especially when the cheapest I've seen them retail for is $550 from some off the wall place. I bet I find it keeps the voltage between 118 and 122V if your inputting 116 to 124V or so. In conjunction with my variac I'll find out in minutes just what it does and doesn't do.

Here are my predictions

Input 124V it drops it to 119V

Input 123 it drops it to 118V

Input 122 it drops it to 117V

Input 121 it drops it to 116V

Input 120V ????

Input 119V it could raise it to 124V ??

Input 118V raise it to 123V

Inpout 117V raise it to 122V

This makes sense if the two support techs I talked too had any clue what they were talking about.......... But who the hell knows at this point.

Craig

:) Well in your scenario, the wall would be 117-124. The furman would make it 116-124. LOL I don't think it would do that cuz then what's the point? To me, they should keep it at 120 give or take ONE volt, else they're not worth their salt.

If I had wall volts at 121 and a gadget changed it to 116, I'd kick it's a**.

What if we simply look at it from the perspective of stability and protection for some gear that's very expensive to get repaired or replaced if something happens to it. As for bias, mine was all over the place until I put the Furman in, and like Lisa, I became almost neurotic about it (checking and adjusting every day). After I put the Furman in, I biased the amps and they stayed rock solid. I don't feel like I really need it now, but it's still a comfort to have it in the system. Having been what I've been through what I've been through with tube amps over the last three years, I wouldn't even consider running them again without one these in the system.

Lisa, you need to get someone to come out and evaluate your electrical, and if those pumps are on the same circuit, you either need to have them moved, or find another receptacle to run your system. I also think you should have Craig put the soft start circuitry in your amps. You're a nice person, but I gotta tell ya -- if you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got!!

Craig - Sorry, I'm a 'don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining' type of person. The Furman spec is confusing at best. Added to this confusion is my convo with their tech vs. yours. Before I am 100% on board with the idea that this regulates to 120 when it's 123 or 124, then I need more information. Your last possible example doesn't look like a good voltage regulating scenario to me. I'm sure it's great for cleaning/conditioning, but if your number crunching is right and my tech guy is right, then it's a fact that it doesn't do much to regulate voltage. Period. Yes, I hope your tech guy is right, but I don't know yet.

If the spec and all the above makes me skeptical with it's ability to regulate in the avg ranges, and you translate it into 'looking for attention' - so be it.