POLL: Fun with bias/voltage meters? What is your wall voltage?

meagain

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A virtual lolipop to anyone who would translate and summarize what Mark just said.

BTW: Most of my amp issues came during winter when the pond was not plugged in at all and my wall voltage was in a range of 121.? to 124.? The one before last was with 7-8 day old tubes. Just sayin'.

So is Mark saying if my wall volts is at 121-124, is the Furman going to make it 120 or no? Looks like a no - right? ????

Lisa, I'll always be on your shit list. That's no problem, because half the time, I'll point things out which you don't like. It is your perogative to pick and choose the responses that fit your set of tenets.

I may have obtained my transformer/voltage regulation system from a defunct plant that may have used it as the power for some welding equipment, like for welding nuclear fuel rods. Slightly more stringent controls when you play with the real stuff. Lots of good things get shipped off to dumps these days, and they do love to sell the refuse with value.

Here is the type of auction source you might stumble across good industrial-type stuff. Monday I will post the link to all the hurricane trailers that are going up for auction soon...

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/

"A virtual lolipop to anyone who would translate and summarize what Mark just said."

Think of a transformer as like a manual car transmission. The ratio of the windings determines whether or not the transformer "steps up" or "steps down" the voltage. A typical tube power supply power transformer "steps up" the 120 volt primary voltage to whatever secondary voltage the ratio determines.

Sumthin' like that......

LOL @ the last sentence........

The AR-15 II regulates with an input voltage of 97 - 137 with an output
of 120 +/- 5 volts. It is this spec that is probably causing confusion.
The transformer that compensates for low or high voltages has multiple
outputs that are wound 5 volts apart. That is where the spec came from.
Now will you see 115 or 125 out? Yes but only about 5% of the time. It
depends on how many Henrys are in the wall. If you need tighter
regulation 1005 of the time use the SPR-20i. This is really only
necessary with picky tube amps/preamps.

Thank you,
****** ************** (felt I should remove his name)
Furman Sound
Domestic Sales Manager

Wait a sec...did anyone ever consider that the electrical is fine and the VRDs are the problem???

[st]

Yea Lisa has repeatedly wished, hoped and prayed just that. But since the amps have been working at my shop for a week without any problem. I've turned them on/off hot, cold and warm. I've let them run overnight and listened to them enjoying every minute. Not a single issue. I'm even using her used 2 year old date code Sovtek 5AR4's that most likely have acred over at one time or another at her house. The amps are just fine and dandy in fact I tried to buy them but Lisa wants to make me suffer for the rest of my life [;)]

Craig

The amps are just fine and dandy in fact I tried to buy them but Lisa wants to make me suffer for the rest of my life [;)]

Craig

LOL!!! Yes, they work fine especially when you don't turn them off at night and on again in the morning (even with no pond pump running in the dead of winter with 122 average house volts. [:D]

When do you get the "does it or doesn't it" voltage regulator?

Scott - Harman AVR-435 But I can't listen to music cuz it sounds bad. Even TV. For instance, we like to have good sound for the Sopranos so we run the VRDs for the fronts and the Peach pre with HT bypass on for the HK for the rears & center.

Last week's opening theme song sounded horrifying! It's a such cool song and we never fast forward it to get to the show because it sounds so good with the VRDs.

Scott - Harman AVR-435 But I can't listen to

music cuz it sounds bad. Even TV. For instance, we like to have good

sound for the Sopranos so we run the VRDs for the fronts and the Peach

pre with HT bypass on for the HK for the rears & center.

Last

week's opening theme song sounded horrifying! It's a such cool song

and we never fast forward it to get to the show because it sounds so

good with the VRDs.

I think I am beginning to better understand the problem.

Craig, I think you can stop looking at the amp.

Scott - Harman AVR-435 But I can't listen to music cuz it sounds bad. Even TV. For instance, we like to have good sound for the Sopranos so we run the VRDs for the fronts and the Peach pre with HT bypass on for the HK for the rears & center.

Last week's opening theme song sounded horrifying! It's a such cool song and we never fast forward it to get to the show because it sounds so good with the VRDs.

I think I am beginning to better understand the problem.

Craig, I think you can stop looking at the amp.

I heard Oprah, CNN and Wheel of fortune all sound great through VRD's also. Who was it that told me that?

LOL - OK, no one uses their amps to watch good sounding quality tv shows to fully enjoy the experience? Let me guess.... Concert DVDs are silly too and shouldn't be run through good sounding amps huh? [6]

I just discovered the problem. You're pumping CNN through them? Wolf Blitzer will blow tubes all day long.

LOL - OK, no one uses their amps to watch good sounding quality tv shows to fully enjoy the experience? Let me guess.... Concert DVDs are silly too and shouldn't be run through good sounding amps huh? [6]

No. Not at all.

But if I am used to eating filet mignon and I visit a friend and they serve sirloin, I don't push it back and refuse to eat!

Prefering one thing and settling for another in a pinch is one thing.

But being unable to adapt and deal with the situation for a short period, especially when it is TV audio, which is not exactly the highest standard in ANY format, is quite another. And such a proclivity does indicate a rather ... 'unique' ... point of view.

But being unable to adapt and deal with the situation for a short period, especially when it is TV audio, which is not exactly the highest standard in ANY format, is quite another. And such a proclivity does indicate a rather ... 'unique' ... point of view.

I would beg to differ about tv audio. Especially the music. It is some of the best written and recorded music you will find. Perhaps YOU need a better system.

LOL - Yea, it's called having a full DVR.