What Are These?

Gilbert

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[:D] Nah, they won't look Bling Bling Pimpy. Just wait till they get seated on that wood base. I showed the pic's to the wife and she's excited. She's grooving right now to the Mac's and BBX. I sware she listens to those tubes more than me.

Will the top plate be gold as well?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yes, both the top & bottom plates were done, on both faces. I could not go into this project half-assed, and it is because of the plating process that both sides needed to be done. The gold plating process, itself, is surprisingly inexpensive, less than $300 total for both amps. The kicker is the application of the plating substrate and the degree of polishing that goes into it. Prior to going into this project, I was informed that large flat plate surfaces were difficult pieces to get right.... and this turned out to be true, because the large flat plates of the VRDs were done and redone 3 different times. Everything, including nuts, bolts and washers, which I initially hadn't considered was redone. When Craig mentioned the misc. hardware, I thought about it, looked into the cost (almost $3.00 a piece) and bit the bullet.

Angular pieces like the transformer <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Bells, and the odd shaped Trophys you see at the sporting stores are easy, and relatively cheap to have gold plated. But large flat plates are a PITA. Keep in mind that the Chrome Plater & Polisher and the Gold Plater are 2 completely different companies. It is an involved story, which helps to explain why it took over a year to get it done right.

On 1st & 2nd attempts, everything was chrome plated, polished and then gold plated. Craig received the package, and the flat plates failed to meet NOSvalve specifications, which are significantly more stringent than ASTM specification. [;)].... a real stickler for perfection. Sooooo back the flat plates went. The Chrome Plater wasn't too happy, but they re-chromed and re-polished the plates..... On this 2nd attempt the pieces came-out better, but still contained too many flaws, and again failed NOSvalve specification. At this point, things started to get frustrating for me, and my gold plating guy requested time to do some research. About a month later, he contacted me and mentioned a new company. The new company was actually that of an old friend he knew from way back, and who was trying to kick-start a fledgling plating business. This new guy sounded sharp, and recommended using copper as the substrate. He mentioned that copper was softer, and as such was better for polishing, he also mentioned that copper was especially good for bringing-out the yellowish luster of gold. He told me either way, (Chrome or Copper) the new guy would guarantee his work and that he was a real old-world craftsman. I chose the copper. But because of the fact we were now going to use a different substrate, i.e. (the copper), every piece had to be redone. The 3rd. attempt was a charm, and everything started to come togetherthat was until we hit the next hurdle, which was Craig's helicopter mechanic Latino buddy in Afghanistan. Oh, the story's we could tell... [:D] , but only someone like Thebes could to do the typing justice.

Not sure about a neck ache but they have me on the verge of a nevous break down. No fun working with these expensive shinny parts...... Well back to wiring........

Sorry for the gray hairs Craig, but I'm glad I got this pair in before anyone else, because it doesn't look like your gonna be willing to do another. [:|] [;)]

I would go to an eyeglass store and get a bunch of those wiping cloths used to clean polycarbonate lenses. Just a touch of water on a corner of one to lift fingerprints, and you can dust/clean with one without leaving microscratches behind.

I'm using windex also and then polishing with a fresh dry cotton cloth. I believe that is what was recommended from the plating guy.

You are correct, this is what was recommend by the guy that did the gold plating, he's been in the business for over 30yrs. I like Deans idea too, but windex is good enough for me. By the way, I was specifically told that the ammonia in the windex will not harm the gold plating. If anyone knows something different, please let me know.

Don't know how clear finish on the wood will react to Windex, but by then they'll have their own little spot in the bedroom, and will hardly ever be handled. They just sit and their thing, and from time to time, I'll whip-out my swiffer brush and do a little delicate cleaning. I love my Swiffer.

I had a VAC 30/30 for a while, it had that gold plating everywhere. I guess it depends on how hard the gold plating actually is, but the plating on the 30/30 would scratch if a dust particle shifted from the air hitting it.:) I sure wouldn't use a swiffer around something like that.