NOS VRDs vs. pCATS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both products get excellent reviews on this Forum and based on that, they are worth consideration. Taking costs and personal preference into account, I suggest you make an attempt to preview both and come to your own conclusion.

This is all too damn polite and "walking on eggshells" for me. The guy asked a valid question and deserves a valid answer.

In a nutshell (from a few different reviews):

"Regarding the amps. I know it may sound a little like I own it so I
like it but I thought that the Pcats stole the show...outrageous mid range clarity and musical and realistic bass . The VRDs
in triode mode were also very interesting but to my ears did not
provide the same mid range unveiled realism provided by the Pcats."

"The VRD's... had a very clean, solid sound to them, & set the reference for the
day. Pcats were next... they had a very smooth
midrange that just brought out the best of the female vocals... an
obvious difference, but at the same time, I found the highs a bit
unclear...Very musical & easy to listen to."

"I think the best overall winner is the pCATS. Great tonal
balance, all the music sounded very clean and listenable with good
weight...it seems to present a
softer high end. Second place gets a little trickier for me...if
you like it livelier and want to fill a big room and REALLY FEEL the
bottom, it's the VRDs. I must say that the bass presentation of the VRDs on the Allison Krauss
song sounded a bit boomy, not as naturally musical as on some of the
other amps."

Both amps have their strong suits. Your individual taste and preference will dictate which better suits you.

This is all too subjective for me and Id love to put some of you in a room, mix it up and let you start talking to yourselves. When I started the Bose rumor at the second pilgrimage there were a lot of people ducking for cover!

"Your individual taste and preference will dictate which better suits you."

BTW, Ain't that about what I said?

George, us MD-VA-DC folks are going to have a Klipschfest this Fall, on Oct. 20, at Garymd's place and mine in Columbia and Bethesda, MD. At Gary's, you'll be able to hear both pCATs and his VRDs on his K-horns. We'll finish up the day with dinner and a concert, hearing and watching up close and personal a performance of the Johannes Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 and The Planets by Gustave Holst. Our seats, ten already reserved, are in the first balcony right over one side of the stage!

This is a rare and very valuable opportunity to see the entire orchestra within a stone's throw playing these rich and complex works. Here's the thread: Announcing an MD-DC-VA October Klipsch/Strathmore/pCAT fest on Oc... Please consider joining us!

Larry

This is all too damn polite and "walking on eggshells" for me. The guy asked a valid question and deserves a valid answer.

like it but I thought that the Pcats stole the show...outrageous mid range clarity and musical and realistic bass . The VRDs

"The VRD's... had a very clean, solid sound to them, & set the reference for the

"I think the best overall winit seems to present a

you like it livelier andner is the pCATS. Great tonal

weight... want to fill a big room and REALLY FEEL the

bottom, it's the VRDs. I must say that the bass presentation of the VRDs on the Allison Krauss

other amps."

Both amps have their strong suits. Your individual taste and preference will dictate which better suits you.

I guess I never thought of music being soft and smooth. Attack and decay of notes are dynamic as I listen critically.

"I think the best overall winit seems to present a

you like it livelier andner is the pCATS. Great tonal

weight... want to fill a big room and REALLY FEEL the

other amps."

I guess I never thought of music being soft and smooth. Attack and decay of notes are dynamic as I listen critically.

Why do you feel the need to change what was originally said. It really does look like you have some sort of agenda here.

Actually its pretty sad.

Josh

"

"Your individual taste and preference will dictate which better suits you."

BTW, Ain't that about what I said?"

Yup!

That is how I read it too.

I cannot make any comment as sadly I have never heard either - but I think it is fantastic we have 2 choices of amps from right here on the forum to choose from, both of which are held in extremely high regard by owners and admirers alike,

Maybe we should get Fremer to do a shoot-out in a BIG BIG test in his rag on KHorns - and then one on Jubs and we can really get the juices flowing.

I have a funny feeling the ultimate decision on which to go for - were you facing a choice - might not be for sonic reasons at all. It seems clear to me that both do a fine job. I adore the look of Mark's new pCats but the sheer physical size of the things would be very problematic.

I know this is gonna sound like a politician, but I honestly belive it's a WIN, WIN situation either way you go.

In all honesty though, if your lucky enough to get the oportunity to listen & test both amps, I think it only logical you do so with your taste of music, and not someone elses. Also, listening environment is everything, so keep that in mind when opportunity knocks.

If your ever in the Tulsa, OK area, your welcome to come by my house and give a listen to a pair of Craigs VRD's mated to one of Marks Blueberry Extreme preamps.

Just to be argumentative, the guy asked if anyone was "able to offer an opinion as to their differences, strengths, weaknesses?"

Stating both are excellent and both are members who contribute to the forum and make your own choice does not even begin to answer his question.

The three summations of reviews by "qualified folks" directly answered his questions and that information provides him the ability to identify which amp likely meets his "individual taste and preference."

He dribbles! He shoots! He scores!

Just to be argumentative, the guy asked if anyone was "able to offer an opinion as to their differences, strengths, weaknesses?"

Stating both are excellent and both are members who contribute to the forum and make your own choice does not even begin to answer his question.

The three summations of reviews by "qualified folks" directly answered his questions and that information provides him the ability to identify which amp likely meets his "individual taste and preference."

He dribbles! He shoots! He scores!

Which is why we are so fortunate to have you with us Robert.....[:P]

I did not edit or insert anything in this thread or any other. I just highlight what was contained in the origaonl post that I considfered a statement worth commenting on. Perhaps the origonal post was editied a bit.

"Speaker A is a step up from speaker B"; I do not think "step up" tells anyone anything about the sound of a speaker but it was posted recently by a long time forum member. A less than helpful comment. Many of us use poor desctriptive terminology in haste. I am not challenging the performance of the equipement, just questioning the commentary.

Music reproduction with realism to me should not be "soft and smooth"; if that is the objective of a persons system performance that is their perogative. I prefer dynamic reproduction as an objective.

I did not edit or insert anything in this thread or any other. I just highlight what was contained in the origaonl post that I considfered a statement worth commenting on. Perhaps the origonal post was editied a bit.

You can't possibly be serious.

You can't possibly be serious.

I think Rick just screwed up when he high lighted what he thought was pertinent to his comment. If you look at the third paragraph he quoted this part is completely missing. "ner is the pCATS. Great tonal balance, all the music sounded very clean and listenable with good weight..." I think he meant to highlight it and ended up deleting the sentence. Old Rick must of been into a few cocktails last night [;)]

I'm sure the Pcats sound great to certain listeners with certain preferences and the same can said for VRD's. In the end people will have to decide based on their own preferences between these and countless other amplifiers.

Craig

I do not own either but have heard both but under differnt set ups. So if you can accept that disqualifier here is my take. IMO you have a perfect set up fore bi-amping here. pCATs on the tops 25 WPC, and the VRD's on the bottom in linerar mode at 60 WPC. From my limited expereince I've always felt the VRD had a little better bass in linear.

When did you become the diplomat? Well said.

In this situation I figured I was walking on thin ice. I would of just rather not post in the thread at all. I had to scratch my head a number of times trying to figure out what Rick did to that third paragraph LOL!!

Now that is out of the way your a Digital amp lover what the heck are you doing in here?

Craig