A Bittersweet Farewell

Another chapter of the saga.

A couple of months ago I was bitten hard by the Jubilee bug. In the near future I will be building the bottoms (and later on experimenting with some mods) and buying the tops (probably the 402s but maybe the 510s) and putting the tops into a nice cabinet of some sort. It became apparent that my house could not hold any more speakers (its a long story but many of you have also been there ......). So it was time to make room for the Jubilees and sell the Klipschorns.

Next step was Craigslist and tonight was the result. The Klipschorns are gone. The new owner drove up from NYC (I am 2-3 hours away in Connecticut). He was pretty set on getting Klipschorns and had already done his homework and learned about them. He seemed sincerely happy and enthusiastic about getting them (just as I was 14 years ago).

Alas the Klipschorns are gone. It is a bittersweet moment. I am happy that I am moving on to the Jubilees and I am excited about building them. But I have to say that my living room looks very empty right now. I know they are going to be enjoyed in their new home. The new owner truly enjoys music and loves the "live sound" of the Klipschorn.

As I said, my living room looks very empty right now.

Life goes on,

-Tom

Well, I awoke this AM and went to the kitchen to make coffee. I glanced in the living room and there are still two large empty corners waiting to be filled. But I am feeling better about things right now. Actually I am on a selling spree. I will keep the Cornwalls, they are in the den downstairs (which I had to pull up the carpet from one wall due to some minor flooding a couple of months ago: frost heaves lifted the patio pavers and channeled water toward the house, followed by some record breaking rainfall).

However, I am going to sell my Vandersteen 2Cs and my Magnepan SMGAs. I will keep my Martin Logan Aerius in the living room until the Jubilees are finished, then eventually they will go. I had toyed with the idea of keeping the ML Aerius as my 2nd system for the den, but they are unforgiving in terms of room placement so I will keep the Cornwalls (not a bad 2nd place compromise).

I am laying out a physical model (graph paper of actual size) of the Jubilee right now. I am a member of AES (I am a scientist involved in research of human hearing) so I dug up my copy of the Delgado et al AES article and made a good scan of the relevant diagrams. The copies floating around the forum are problematic when you enlarge them (the resolution was not great). I think I have a good handle on the dimensions. If any of you are going through this exercise, try and get the best copy you can and do the physical layout also. You will see that some of the lines "drift" a bit (left vs right-sides of the diagram), but there are ways to get things back on track since some the dimensions are also given, and do not have to be "measured" from the drawing. When you do this you can then double check them against what Rigma, JWCullison and Speakerfritz etc have posted, although some of these folks have made deliberate decisions to modify certain sections (again, these folks have documented their variations). My measures are probably more similar than dis-similar to theirs and I now appreciate some of the headaches they went through.

What I am doing right now is to interpolate the entire flare rates through out the full path (and also learning about rubber throats along the way). My goal is to make two cabinets. One that is a straight clone and one that can be modified (removable sections that can have various parts swapped out to change certain sections (e.g., throat, initial flare, reflectors, etc). When combined with subsequent measurement (before and after), there could be some interesting stuff. Although I may drop this idea of a second cabinet, since I do not have as much free time in my life right now, and I also suspect that anything I might come up with would simply be re-visiting false trails that Roy and PWK already pursued. IOW, I really doubt the Jubilee was version one of their endeavor. They must have made a number of prototypes.

However, ultimately at some point I might try for a taller cabinet and some other mods (that would not fit in to the constraints originally outlined in the AES article) in order to get a larger back volume and more importantly an approximation to a tractrix flare. My initial thinking is that a "tractrix" version would be a beast to build and be beast in its overall size. Although I may not build it I could post the plans, and someone else could work on it (hopefully combined with some measurements). But that is down the road ...

As soon as I get the flares computed (in their entirety) I will post them. The exercise is a worthwhile one since it forces you to clearly think through various issues. There are many constraints and trade offs to be accounted for. It is also a humbling experience. I guess these speaker designers know something I don't (actually probably quite a bit ....). Enough for now.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom,

Good luck with the build!

I wish I had the workworking skill to take on something like the Jubilee. I'd need to take baby steps first... maybe a 80hz straight horn or something as a starter. ;)

"(probably the 402s but maybe the 510s) "

Offer stands if you want to hear the K510s.

Shawn

Tom,

Good luck with the build!

I wish I had the workworking skill to take on something like the Jubilee. I'd need to take baby steps first... maybe a 80hz straight horn or something as a starter. ;)

"(probably the 402s but maybe the 510s) "

Offer stands if you want to hear the K510s.

Shawn

Shawn,

Thanks for the offer to listen to the the 510s. I will eventually take you up on the offer and probably pick your brain on how to cascade a notch filter and a LR filter on the Behringer DCX, so I can get a steeper roll off. But I am not there yet.

My wood working skills are not great, so I may burn up plywood trying to get it done. Some of the trickier cuts and glue ups have been nicely documented by others, especially in the pictorials from Gil and Rigma.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom,

"and probably pick your brain on how to cascade a notch filter and a LR filter on the Behringer DCX, so I can get a steeper roll off."

Sure, I would be glad to help there. I do not think too many others have tried going steeper like this. It would be interesting to hear your take on it.

Shawn

Tom,

I hope you start a thread detailing your project involving the jubilees as I have really enjoyed seeing other projects on the forum. Sorry about the K-horns, but congrats in another sense as it now forces you to find their replacement(s)! Good luck on your project!

-David

I too want to attempt building a pair of Jubiliees, but am not sure about which plans are the correct ones. Over time I blieve there have been a couple of different sets presented and also some measurement corrections. How (or where) do I get a set of plans with the most correct and up-to-date measurements?

I too want to attempt building a pair of Jubiliees, but am not sure about which plans are the correct ones. Over time I blieve there have been a couple of different sets presented and also some measurement corrections. How (or where) do I get a set of plans with the most correct and up-to-date measurements?

Joe,

My friendly suggestion would be not to simply blindly build a clone. An alternative strategy is to read the JAES article at least a half a dozen times and then do some background reading to fill in the gaps. In my case there were considerable gaps. This will help on the theory but it will not help with the hands on experience that the engineers have.

There are several plans floating around, but once you roll up your sleeves you will notice some missing pieces. This is where the head scratching and reading will come in handy. I am in the middle of this process and I am getting a better appreciation of what is involved and a mere glimpse of what Roy and PWK went through.

Regarding the different sets of building measurements, I think it is best to figure it out for on your own and then look at what the others have done. There is still that nagging question of how much difference is produced by these different plans. For instance, varying the throat size (which some have done) "could" produce changes in throat overload. As I understand things (and my understanding is limited) this can lead to changes in the 2nd harmonic distortion and hence the use of "rubber throats". While, some have done frequency response measurements (not necessarily using the same techniques) I don't think anyone has done any distortion measures. This is just one example. I am not beating up on anyone for not making various measures, after they sweated a long time to complete the build, it may not been a priority. I am not knocking their work, far from it, there have been some very clever things done as they have constructed them (and I appreciate them sharing their knowledge). For various reasons, I am a measurement kind of guy.

I will periodically post my progress and some open-ended questions.

Good Luck,

-Tom