Lets see if I can add a few more names to the "I am coming to Indy in June" list.

• Klipsch Employees

In 1999, not long after I started
at Klipsch, I was ask by another Tech to help build up some cabinets to test
the cuts made on the CNC and help put together a process for the plant to use
in building these cabinets. There were 6 kits cut. We built all 6 over the
next few days.  Some of the cuts
were wrong, but for the most part they went together fine.  Now these 6 cabinets were used for a
few different things. 2 were used as prototypes to prove the crossover needed
to work with them.  One was sent
out to show the concept to the theater market. The last 3 were stuck in storage
for a while.  About 6 months or so
later the 3 cabinets in storage were headed to the trash.  My self and another tech hated to see
that happen, so we ask to take them home. He took 2 and I took the last
one.  I dont know what he did with
his, but mine has been used for a TV stand and to take up space. I have had
hopes of building it up some day, but that day never came.  I did try and put woofers in it once
with plans of using it as a sub. 
With out the right drivers, that did not work out well. So, there it
sits, holding down a LS, taking up space, doing nothing. 

One
night, while trying to decide what to do with all the crap I have around here,
I came up with an Idea. (Now I only average about one good idea a year, so we
will see where this goes)  I decide
to try and find another of the first 6 cabinets to make a pair. Then, if I
found another cabinet, I would build that pair of speakers.  I started dreaming again and understood
that IF I were able to build these things, I would have no place to put
them.  The HT is full, with no room
for the cabinet I have, much less 2 of them. The living room is not big enough
for that size of speaker. Nor was any other room in the house.  Then I thought of you guys. I was sure
that one of you could find a place for these big things.

So
I tossed the Idea out to Roy and Amy. They liked it and were on board with my
plan.  I started by ordering parts
and talking Roy out of the last prototype cabinet he had in Hope.  Now I have 2 LF cabinets and all the
parts to put the speakers together.

My plan is to toss a coat or two of
paint on them and build a small HF cabinet to match. Then chunk in a few
network parts and call it a pair of Speakers. Once they are built and working
we will run some curves, take some pictures and on June 23rd 2007
ask for some names to be placed in a hat and give these things away.

Now
some folks will think I am nuts for giving up a chance to own a pair of
speakers with this kind of history. 
Well, I am nuts, but that has nothing to do with why I want to give
these away.  I see giving these
away as adding to their history. 
The kind of people that come to the Klipsch Pilgrimage will keep a gift
like this in the family for a long time. 

All I ask is that if you put your name in the hat you plan
to use the speakers. I would hate to see them sold on ebay or something like
that, and if you do ever sell them, I would like first shot at them.

Oh yea, the speakers I am talking about are a pair of
Jubilees. The build starts this Friday.

We will take a few pictures along the way to show you what
is going on.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this prototype identical (except for the crappy cuts) to the modern Jubilee? Or is it one of the very early prototypes and different in a few ways? How cool would that be to own the very first Jubilee?!?

I sure hope my family has more last names than Bill's.... [6]

• Klipsch Employees

They have changed the way they put them together a bit, but other than that, they are the same as you would get today.

The first 3 were built by hand by Mike Falkner. (I am sure I misspelled his name) 
One is in Mrs. PWK's house. One is in Hope and the last one is in NMSU.  These were the ones PWK took the picture with. 

the give away pr are one of the first 3 pr from the CNC. 

Trey,

That was a nice story until you got to this part...

".....Oh yea, the speakers I am talking about are a pair of Jubilees.."

Then, the story became a legend in the making!

Please place my name in the hat!

David

I"ve seen the 'stack-o-parts', it's true, this is really gonna happen!

Look for some announcements on the itinerary and listening rooms to be posted very soon.

But we're gonna keep the equipment list a secret- it's like Christmas, gotta have a few surprises for you Pilgrims!

Everybody contact a friend on the Forum and bring them along, this is gonna be a blast this year!

Michael

So,

See. Y'all (I did live in Texas for 5 years in the late 80's early 90's and really reqret not making a side trip to Hope on the way to and from Hoosier land around the holidays.....) are giving away a set of speakers. Jubilees no less with a lot of really cool history. Put my name in the hat. I'd use them as my main speakers (to replace my 20+ budget 2 ways slapped together in college 20+ years ago)...

I think my teeanaged daughter even thought the Jubilee's looked pretty cool when I pulled up a picture (or she was just trying to humor me) and was maybe even excited when I mentioned the block party potential with (some serious effort) to haul them out to the patio.... heeheee.... don't like the music from across the field? or the 19-20 year old a couple of houses down - time to listen to what we want ... and could probably do that with my old Radio Shack receiver bought in high school back in 1978 or so, rated at a whopping 12 watts per channel (more than enough power, probably painfully lo fi for such revealing speakers).

Makes me want to come by myself - more people are more competition [H] I still plan on telling anyone that might be interested anyway as way too much fun to pass up.... might have almost had a guest in my younger daughter's soccer coach but he'll be on vacation

If I were to win, I think I'd have to return them should I ever want to get rid of them, but then I'd be insane (is that really bad, sane is good, don't I want to be in sane? or in sanity?) by then anyway.

Suspect my kids would fight over them so fat chance of 'em getting out of the family. When we finally talked more in passing to the sweet widowed lady accross the street when we about to move from Plano Texas a few years back, she was complaining that her kids just wanted her speakers... my first thought Khorns or Belle Klipsch? Almost asked, but then afraid I might try to take advantage of her - might've solved her problem but I'd have felt guilty

Definitely sign me up. I'll allow visitation. And I'm sure would keep them forever or until I become unsane, or my children have me committed so they can take them.

I would love to win them but seeing that I have no house (between college dorm 3/4 year and 1/4 year in a rented place landlord downstairs) I think I cannot place my name in the hat.....

I am game for a pair of rb-75 or rf-7 [:)] or two rt-12d and a rc64 to complete my home system [:P]

Jay,

Should you be fortunate enough to win, I'm sure you could find someone in the forum who would lovingly keep them for you until you found a larger home, and even (grudingly of course) actually let you have them back. But being a college student, you'd probably be able to fit 'em in a dorm room - transportation would be the biggest obstacle ... I was amazed what other students could cram into a VW, but these would require something along the lines of a fairly sizable minivan or pickup truck. Of course the landlord downstairs could be tough - but allow him to listen to what he/she likes once in a while might alleviate that potential problem.

I'll gladly volunteer to keep 'em for a couple of years... [:D] and would let you have them back, though I'm sure that part would be very difficult - I'm sure we could work out a visitation schedule until you'd come to haul 'em home... [:'(]

College. Dorm. Party potential. Maybe could keep in the dorm and use for dorm parties and dances.... but I like the me keeping 'em for a couple of years option better... [H]

I suspect Colter and his House of Klipsch or other Klipsch employees would help you figure something out

Ben

Wow Ben, we didn't even get to Indy yet and you talking like I won them! We will see! [;)]

I fit two lascala bins in the new Honda Fit the family brought. Though I doubt that the Jubilee would fit at all....

I would love them but moving them to and from college would be a hassle in of itself..... And party, are you kidding, no %@# way am i going to let anyone near em to place "cold beverages" on them....

Anyways it would be but I still don't think I could

• Klipsch Employees

We will start posting pic's soon. Remember! These things are rough. They have been moved around the country for the last 7 years or so.

You should have seen the look on the movers faces when they had to load that thing in the moving van to come from Hope to Indy.  I was funny to see an old buick, my moble smoker / cooker and the big cabints in that semi.  I remember telling them to leave my 12 gauge out, that I would take that with me. The lead guy ask why, and my answer was ..."just in case you damage my speakers..." Not sure I have ever seen Cornwalls or LS packed so well.

Jay,

I understand your point, a college environment is one where control issues would be a big concern.

As for my back yard with teenagers involved - they will wish they have died should they get too close, aim hose or fireworks, or even look wrong in the direction of such speakers, not too mention even think about cranking the volume or messing with the tone controls. Ok, may have to build a cage to put things in or mount 'em up on the roof near a guard tower. And don't even think about it if there's any chance of rain...

Were you to win and not me (like that's going to happen) I'd be happy to keep yours locked inside the house at all times and not let the teenagers too close, maybe even keep them in our office area and ban 'em from entering.

So I don't win anything. Still sounds like way too much fun to pass up.... a lot of wonderful people, some more dysfunctional than me, maybe .... allowed into the engineering facility and demos of how different components affect the sound... I mean they even help people tweak the sound of their older speakers - how cool is that and how many other, if any, speaker companies sponsor such events?

Now I really know why I've always dreamed of a pair of Klipschorns, or two and a Belle or LaScala or just a pile of LaScala's ... but never any budget... some day is getting closer with the kids growing up

I remember telling them to leave my 12 gauge out, that I would take that with me. The lead guy ask why, and my answer was ..."just in case you damage my speakers..." Not sure I have ever seen Cornwalls or LS packed so well.

LOL!

Btw, Jay....no need to worry about moving stuff around. It's a once in a while thing. It sucks, but it's oh so worth the tunes inbetween move times. Just gotta keep telling myself that during the move today....

I remember telling them to leave my 12 gauge out, that I would take that with me. The lead guy ask why, and my answer was ..."just in case you damage my speakers..." Not sure I have ever seen Cornwalls or LS packed so well.

LOL!

Btw, Jay....no need to worry about moving stuff around. It's a once in a while thing. It sucks, but it's oh so worth the tunes inbetween move times. Just gotta keep telling myself that during the move today....

I have a hell of a time just to move the rf-83