Lets see if I can add a few more names to the "I am coming to Indy in June" list.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys can probably guess that those bottom boxes are 'factory fresh' Jubilees for use in our 402/510 comparison.

[;)]

and yeah, there's something 'smudged' out in the background that you're not supposed to see (see Trey, I"m take of business!)

M

post-10755-13819334543188_thumb.jpg

DeanO, here is the network Roy suggested...note the speaker wire in the shot. [8-)]

Ha ha. Looks more like something BEC would set up. Let me guess -- 50uF Dayton to protect the driver from your active set up?

post-3205-13819334543588_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I don't know how it became 'The Sparrow'. If the 402 is 'The Eagle', then I think we ought to at least stay with the birds of prey theme. 'The Hawk' works a lot better.

Jubilees are NOT fun to unbox and move around. Austin and me about herniated ourselves getting them up the stairs. I guy emailed me a few months ago asking me if I knew why PK didn't finish off the back of the Klipschorn like the Jubilee and 60th Anniversay Edition -- I know one possible answer!

I gotta say a couple things here, one kinda insignificant and the other perhaps a bit more relevant.

1. I just stumbled onto this thread today, I had NO idea there was a pair of Jubes being tossed into the crowd, how cool is that?!!!

2. this one to me, is more important: I'm sure that everyone who has read about this has salivated just a bit and already envisioned the mighty Jubes in your home. I will admit that I too have already placed them in my room with the two others... (like my wife would let THAT go down?). No one needs to worry about me though, I never win anything.

What I don't want to see glossed over or missed is this... put yourself in the shoes of winning these. Just imagine first, how cool it would be to have them. Then couple that with how cool it would be to have (as I understand it) two of the actual prototype builds. It's not like there were 50 of them ya know. If I understand all that right, then I think that ANY of us in our most sober/sane mind would be tickled pink to own something like that. What a wonderful piece of Klipsch history.

Trey has personally owned one of these for years and is evidently giving it up for "us". I don't know if I'm sorry or not to admit that if I beheld that in my ownership, there is NO way I'd be letting it go, especially willingly.

Trey, I just want to say that I think that speaks VOLUMES for the person you are and I tip my hat of respect to you.

[Y]

They are known as T and R because the Tan one was at Trey's and the Red primed unit was at Roys. So they have been in good hands

We also have two factory models so y'all can hear a PAIR of 402's and a PAIR of 510's!

Afore ya can test em, ya gots to break em in

Here is Trey's run-in rig, you can see 20 Hz showing on the tone generator and 27 volts on the voltmeter.

Pop Quiz: How many Watts are 27 volts (assume 8 ohms)?

post-10755-13819334559468_thumb.jpg

Here's Phillips setting up the ground plane test rig with a KPT-KHJ-LF cabinet as they are known.

This is 1/8 space testing. Count with me.

The first wall (floor) counts as 1/2 space

Putting speaker against one wall makes it 1/4 space

The intersection of floor and two walls creates a 1/8 space 'horn'.

Steve is setting up the calibrated mic at the prescribed 2 meter distance.

Pop Quiz- how many decibels are added/subtracted from this measurement to arrive at the db/watt/meter specification?

post-10755-13819334559978_thumb.jpg

Colter's first prototype network. Not pretty but it worked.

This is Roy's computer designed crossover for the HF section of 510 horn and K69 driver.

For prototyping, we assemble the componenets on these massive 'breadboards' so parts can be easily exchanged as the testing process continues in the anechoic chamber. This is a high pass network at 12 db/octave, and three 'traps' which are passive eq's to tame the response. The chains of choke-cap-resistor are the traps.

post-10755-13819334561158_thumb.jpg

Here's Phillips setting up the ground plane test rig with a KPT-KHJ-LF cabinet as they are known.

Pop Quiz- how many decibels are added/subtracted from this measurement to arrive at the db/watt/meter specification?

to get anechoic (no walls) you have to lose about 6 db..... (subjective) since each 1/2 space adds about 3 db and the 2 meters subtracts 3 db

3+3+3 - 3 = 6 db you need to subtract from the db/watt you are measuring

-6db

In a reflection free enviroment sound increases or decreases by 6db for each doubling or halving of distance form the reference point.