Yikes!!! I thought it was all BS!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to forum member joshnich, I got a HH Scott 299-D that had been through a refurb at some place in Michigan.

I have to admit to being VERY impressed with the unit. It sounds dramtically better than my old MA-6100 S/S, but in all fairness, it's overdue for a refurbishment at some place in Tennessee (the little Mac's restoration budget is where the money for the Scott came from).

The little Scott has made a pair of JBL speakers enjoyable (Lancer 99S), and made my Corwalls and Fraziers really sing. It has been especially kind to my newly acquired Frazier Monte Carlo bookshelf speakers.

I didn't want to believe, but now I do (Hmmm. That rings a bell...).

Received the ultimate compliment last night. My wife, who normally has no use for any of this. She thinks an old transistor radio--you know the kind from the 60's with the little earpiece, sounds just right. My listening/movie room is a bunker in the farthest reaches of the house. Last night after listening for awhile I came up for air and she said, "you were really listening to some great music there." You can't make that up. She's never said that before! Somehow the sonic difference got through. Ah well, I can't explain it--I'm hardly articulate enough--but there certainly is something happening here. I know, I know, I'm driving a Yugo--this 40+ year old Sansui--in the world of tube Ferrari's, but man you should see the grin on my face. I'm like an Amish kid who finally gets behind the wheel of a "horseless carriage". I"m going like hell.

One question though. I don't "speak the language" so I don't know the reference about buying tubes or learning to blow glass means. I get the impression it has something to do with the output tubes on this model. Help me out, but you have to remember I'm just a schmo who at this point is just a kid who learned to stand up and walk after crawling all these years--I'm happy as a clam and you can't really do anything to take the luster off the fun I am having.

Mark Kauffman has a set of is Cayene tube CD/Integrated running the 60th anniversary Khorns right now.

Now that is a sure way to tip the scale in the favor of SS.......................

I imagine that is the same setup we listened to in Hope. I personally never liked the looks of the Cayin gear. However, it sounds great and I hated to admit that I actually liked it but I did. The A88T with the Tube CDP was an excellent match with the heritage line up. I still don't like the looks of the Cayin gear or most of the Chinese imports as they just look cheesy to me.

Received the ultimate compliment last night. My wife, who normally has no use for any of this. She thinks an old transistor radio--you know the kind from the 60's with the little earpiece, sounds just right. My listening/movie room is a bunker in the farthest reaches of the house. Last night after listening for awhile I came up for air and she said, "you were really listening to some great music there." You can't make that up. She's never said that before! Somehow the sonic difference got through. Ah well, I can't explain it--I'm hardly articulate enough--but there certainly is something happening here. I know, I know, I'm driving a Yugo--this 40+ year old Sansui--in the world of tube Ferrari's, but man you should see the grin on my face. I'm like an Amish kid who finally gets behind the wheel of a "horseless carriage". I"m going like hell.

One question though. I don't "speak the language" so I don't know the reference about buying tubes or learning to blow glass means. I get the impression it has something to do with the output tubes on this model. Help me out, but you have to remember I'm just a schmo who at this point is just a kid who learned to stand up and walk after crawling all these years--I'm happy as a clam and you can't really do anything to take the luster off the fun I am having.

You can just about throw out all the buzz words like timbre, pace, bloom and all the others.

My system improvments are subjectively assesed on how many more hours per month my bride of 24 years snuggles up to me on the couch at night.

How we list a value and associated units of measure for "Snuggle Factor" on a spec sheet for an amp or a speaker is unclear at this time.

don't get hung up on topology [:)]

Unless you want reliability..... *runs away* [au]

Ya just can't help but act like a punk...........

In the many years I have owned tube gear I have only had two problems and the fix was a simple tube replacement. The flexibility of tubes is something you do not get with SS and the fact that it is easier to work on is also a bonus. I must admit that if I was in the market for tubes I would go with current production or at least made in the last few years. Vintage gear is the only thing I have had issues with in regards to tubes. If I was going the vintage route I would send to Craig for a complete rebuild before I would deam it reliable.

Tubes and horns RocK!

"One question though. I don't "speak the language" so I don't know the reference about buying tubes or learning to blow glass means. I get the impression it has something to do with the output tubes on this model. "

No code. Just a joking reference to the growing ranks of tube lovers and the finite supply of NOS (New Old Stock) tubes. There will be enough to last your time...

In my case, I use a non-VT (don't want to start a hijack, so nothing more specific) amp that generally satisfies my music and HT needs unless I really need that sound in order to minimize wear on my ST-80i.

Dave

There are some things coming out of China that look pretty decent and that I actually wouldn't mind hearing.

I've seen the Onix SP-3 in the links below go used for around $650, and along with what appears to be a nice build -- comes with a buffered stepped attenuator. The same company also makes some higher end stuff -- looks pretty good to me (last link).

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=26.1

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/onix-melody-sp3-tube-integrated-amplifier-review/onix-sp3-amp-overview-and-design

http://www.melodyhifi.com/productlist.html

I think the JJs are the tall ones. They have a killer sound to them. I bought a couple of quads of the long and short ones about 2 months ago. They were a Chinese tube made for some other company tag. I found them on Ebay for $39.95 for each quad. New manufacturer. They also sounded good. I put them In a Heathkit AA-100? if I remember correctly. The taller ones would have fit but they were almost touching the top of the case and I had to be very careful putting the lid back on. I could look up the name on them but the point is they have started making them again.

Harry

I've thought about changing over to tubes. Don't even know where to start. What about a tube pre-amp with ss power amps? Anybody using this combo?

Forum member KaiserSetSay has a BAT Tube PRE, BAT Tube Phono Pre and BAT SS Power. The sound with his B&W speakers is amazing. His La Scala's are almost ready so perhaps I will get to here that combo real soon.

I bought some Crown pro amps a couple of months ago. Thinking about replacing my Denon 3805 pre-amp with a tube pre-amp if that makes any sense. I love the sound I have now but the sound everyone describes about the tubes is really tempting. Are tubes expensive? Which ones would match well with RF-7's? It's been in the back of my mind for a while now. The op makes me even more interested.

I've thought about changing over to tubes. Don't even know where to start. What about a tube pre-amp with ss power amps? Anybody using this combo?

===========

Works wonders, and many people start out exactly that way. A really nice tube pre can be had for under a grand.

Thanks, we must have been typing at the same time.

Duke, are you running a two channel set up or does you're tube pre have multi-channel/surround sound? Did you upgrade from all ss to a tube pre with ss power amps? Big improvment? (I got the itch again.....)