Is it me or are hi-fi equip prices getting outrageous?

Well, isn't the MSRP on Khorns still $7500?

Klipsch will deliver a pair of Jubilee to your door for $7000.

That's still alot of bang for the buck, and getting to be more so all the time.

It's nice that there is a little sanity remaining, centered in Hope, Arkansas.

I normally don't read Stereophile magazine because there's no way I'll ever be able to afford most of the stuff in there. I was reading on a pair of $65,000 dollar speakers last time I bought an issue. Honestly, even if I had that kind of cash, it would be VERY HARD to justify spending 65K on a pair of speakers.

I guess I'm old enough to remember 19 cent a gallon gas, cigs were $.90 a carton on base, a 4 finger fat bag of Mex was $5 and wished I had an extra $30 for the nicer model Heathkit amp. I just didn't have $250 to spend on audio then.

My tastes have grown.

Does Klipsch have speakers over $10,000? I hope not. I just got the plastic paid down.

HarryO

It's called "what the traffic will bear"...too much disposable income paired with too little education and taste, facillitated by the so-called audiophile press...then folks whine about the loss they take we they trade their overpriced dreck in on the next thing that the mags are gushing over, and will forget about next year... As Paul used to say "Aren't you glad you own Klipsch?"

It give us that really know the score the opportunity to pick up some nice gear at a good discount on the auction sites...

I guess I'm old enough to remember 19 cent a gallon gas, cigs were $.90 a carton on base, a 4 finger fat bag of Mex was $5 and wished I had an extra $30 for the nicer model Heathkit amp. I just didn't have $250 to spend on audio then.

My tastes have grown.

Does Klipsch have speakers over $10,000? I hope not. I just got the plastic paid down.

HarryO

lol....Mexican.......remember the big "paraquat" scare?

lol....Mexican.......remember the big "paraquat" scare?

I don't remember much at all. Maybe that's the problem here. Nowadays water is higher than gasoline, Coke comes in plastic jugs, cigarette taxes are funding the CIA instead of South American drug money. Teachers ain't allowed to knock the heck out of your mouthy kid and you can't either for fear of going to jail. Everything you eat causes cancer, the news media has no conception of the truth, 6 channels 6 different versions. Holy ^!#&% Batman. Did you see that new SS amp selling for 20K? Yea, but it still sounds like SS. What's happening here? Watch out all, I'm voting this time just as soon as the bars open.

HarryO

They are getting ourageous. It's ridiculous, and to the point of weirdness.

I have 22 Klipsch Heritage speakers; It took forever to finally get everything I really wanted in the "speaker" arena, but when I look back I decided that I just cannot afford a pair of H-III's at $1600 a pop, when I can find a "cosmetically challenged" pair of Klipschorn's for the same price (yes; got one pair for $1200, another pair for $1800, etc....)

Just what does a $20,000 solid state amp do for us? Really? Tell me? distortion? Not;... I've got some vintage SS with 0.008 THD and IMD. Transient response; Not; sine wave is virtually "square". For the most part we can't tell the diffence (at least I cannot); Cool looking? Dunno, What's cool (I like retro massive black boxes)... or.., is it the cool thing to have and I have disposable income and I'm too stupid (or to rich) to care; Aha, therein lies the possible answer.

$20k would buy me the three JM Blueberry's & the six Mac tubes I want, and alot of Sam Adams..... Alot.... Really alot....

They are getting ourageous. It's ridiculous, and to the point of weirdness.

I have 22 Klipsch Heritage speakers; It took forever to finally get everything I really wanted in the "speaker" arena, but when I look back I decided that I just cannot afford a pair of H-III's at $1600 a pop, when I can find a "cosmetically challenged" pair of Klipschorn's for the same price (yes; got one pair for $1200, another pair for $1800, etc....)

Just what does a $20,000 solid state amp do for us? Really? Tell me? distortion? Not;... I've got some vintage SS with 0.008 THD and IMD. Transient response; Not; sine wave is virtually "square". For the most part we can't tell the diffence (at least I cannot); Cool looking? Dunno, What's cool (I like retro massive black boxes)... or.., is it the cool thing to have and I have disposable income and I'm too stupid (or to rich) to care; Aha, therein lies the possible answer.

$20k would buy me the three JM Blueberry's & the six Mac tubes I want, and alot of Sam Adams..... Alot.... Really alot....

From your post I figured that you were a MAC man.

It is hard to figure out how there are apparently so many people who can afford such gear.

The latest Stereophile looks at equipment way over my head. The "cheapo" stuff is still easily in the 1000's....

Happy with my genly worn and loved Klipsch gear, and my gently used McIntosh!

Paul

Paraquat is a herbicide which the USA encouraged Mexico to use on marijuana. It is dangerous to workers using it if inhaled or ingested through the skin, especially through open wounds.

As a young man I always marvelled at the prices of gear like McIntosh because it was the price of a good used car. Now that seems normal to most here on the forum, and gear going for the price of a new car or even a small house seems excessive.

It is not that bad...my mains go for $9000,center for $3000,sourrounds $5500...subs...oh multiply by ten...amps...Tenor,Krell,SimAudio...ah ouf...hmm ...50K...more.....all in all I have injected around 140K into my audio. So yes some people spend alot on this hobby.

This year I started a few DIY projects and have injected 6K into DIY,mostly tools and material. The drivers will cost me around 10K when it is all done.DIY...giant subwoofers capable of extreme output even at 16Hz! No toys here

All depends on income and priorities given to audio...and a bit of lunacy. [:)]

It is not that bad...my mains go for $9000,center for $3000,sourrounds $5500...subs...oh multiply by ten...amps...Tenor,Krell,SimAudio...ah ouf...hmm ...50K...more.....all in all I have injected around 140K into my audio. So yes some people spend alot on this hobby.

This year I started a few DIY projects and have injected 6K into DIY,mostly tools and material. The drivers will cost me around 10K when it is all done.DIY...giant subwoofers capable of extreme output even at 16Hz! No toys here

WOW EAR, That's unbelievable.........but,.......How you spend your money is your business........double WOW, WOW..........[;)]

It is hard to figure out how there are apparently so many people who can afford such gear.

The latest Stereophile looks at equipment way over my head. The "cheapo" stuff is still easily in the 1000's....

Happy with my genly worn and loved Klipsch gear, and my gently used McIntosh!

Paul

You have a good combo there in equipment.

As you go through life I have found that generally you accumulate greater finances. Not always, but generally. So be patient and your time will come. Believe me, for most all of my life, I never thought that I would own Klipsch nor McIntosh, nor JL Audio equipment. I was 42 before I got my first set of Klipsch speakers. I was 57 before I got my first piece of McIntosh gear. I am now 60 and I just got the JL Audio f-113 subwoofer. So you see, as you get older you will have more discretionary income to spend on audio/video equipment. Unfortunately, at the same time, you will be losing some of your hearing due to age. What a life we live.

Paraquat is a herbicide which the USA encouraged Mexico to use on marijuana. It is dangerous to workers using it if inhaled or ingested through the skin, especially through open wounds.

As a young man I always marvelled at the prices of gear like McIntosh because it was the price of a good used car. Now that seems normal to most here on the forum, and gear going for the price of a new car or even a small house seems excessive.

I will immediately trade in my house and car for better audio equipment.

Sometimes a large dose of lunacy.

I wonder if more audio gear is sold during a full moon?