norton or mcafee?

merkin

Time to renew. What's better for windows base, firewall and virus protection. I presently have norton but it is slow starting up. Is mcafee any faster? I had mcafee several years ago but it didn't pick up a virus that the norton detected. That is why I switched to Norton. Now at computer start up and first logging in it takes a good 5 to 10 minutes before I'm up and running. Nowadays I need instant gratification.

For free you can't beat AVG antivirus along with Zone Alarm (although I heartily suggest upgrading to ZoneAlarm Pro - the added tools are great..

And running online without a firewall is simply, let's see, how can I put this delicately..., oh, I know: INSANE!

If you doubt this, get ZoneAlarm and set it to notify you each time you are scanned (and it will also resolve the source - or what 'appears' to be the source as most are spoofed). At first you will be amazed. And after about a day of the constant alerts you will turn the @%#& notification feature off as it will simply take over your day!

And perhaps most importantly, most think only of 'things coming inbound'. But folks, that is not the biggest issue! Equally important are 'things going outbound'. As many programs and also spyware phone home! (are they really different when they do this!?) Either with malicious information about your personal business, or as a trojan takes over your machine and causes it to start spamming others or worse. After all, spyware is more than just a cute program that eats resources! It spies and reports home! And did you know, if your computer does this (spamming or participates in a DOS attack at 3AM while you are asleep), YOU are legally liable for its actions and any damages!? And don't try the righteous indignation defense! You'll lose, as there is plenty of legal precedence for this!

So, another neat thing a good firewall does is control what comes in as well as what goes out! And you will be amazed at how much goes out without your knowledge!

Additionally, you need to be running multiple free anti-spyware programs. The best free programs are Lavasoft's Ad-aware, SpyBot, SpywareBlaster. SpySweeper is good if you are willing to pay (look for it on sale online - there are plenty of deals and you shouldn't pay more than $19.) But you want to run ALL of these! And keep them updated!!! At least weekly!

If you need help finding any of these, PM me, but Google should find them easily.

The next most important thing is to switch your primary default browser to Firefox. And take advantage of their plug-ins!!! NoScript and CookieSafe are absolute must haves! Adblock and Filter.G and others are great as well. By simply switching you will inoculate yourself against much of what is out there targeted at IE.

There is much more available in the form of plug-ins other than simply basic security and script control plug-ins, ranging from very useful to downright absurd, but its your choice. Again, if I can help with this, PM me - although be aware that I run a minimum of plug ins- I am not one of the folks whose browser looks like a Christmas tree!

Note! SysInternals for Windows is now available for free from MS. This incredibly powerful collection of utilities can either save your posterior, or if you don't know what your doing, easily hose it! But what was available privately for >$1000 last year is now available free. But, it is not a substitute for any of the programs listed above! , the AMUST line of utility tools brings you some of the best Russian programming skill to your desktop - and they cream (& I am being far too nice! Its really embarrassing!) the Americans in the annual programming competition (sorry, but its simply true). So take advantage of the fall of the Soviet Union and the motivated programmers from that part of the world who are finally able to participate in the world economy and enjoy them! Its what we fought long and hard for! Their base package is free - especially the AMUST Registry Cleaner.

But think of this as 'safe sex' online. And for the far too many that spend far too much time on this site, and for whom this activity is the closest to sex that you get, you would be well advised to 'cover your ports'! Running 'commando' is simply stupid.

I was AVG and Zone Alarm fan for years - they did not catch or cure a rare virus...

If you are looking for cures for zero day events, you are dependent upon your own behavior!

No single product or group of complimentary products is a substitute for user common sense, partitioning, mirroring on separate controllers and drives with no common point of failure, and good backups! These tools mitigate risk, they do not eliminate it!

Don't blame them! If you are looking for a perfect environment where
there are no threats or risks, sell your computer** and clear some space under your bed!

[:P]

(**and that includes a
Mac!)

This could turn into "tubes vs Solid State" real fast. But that would be interesting!!![6]

The "work" system is "untouchable", but it's Symantec System Works (SSW) with Norton Firewall. That being said, never had a problem, checked with spybot, spylook, spywhatever, etc. No problems. NAV (the antivirus part of SSW) is set to check every day for updates; full system scan is set for every 24 hours at midnight (even I go home sometime...).

It's probably not whether you have MacAfee or Symantec, it's really how you (1) configure it; and (2) how "dangerous" you want to get when cruising the web..... The best firewalls and anti-virus programs cannot overcome user "shortcomings". I was gonna say "insanity", but MAS beat me to that expression.....

At home, probably because I'm familiar with it, I use the same system. Again, no problems...

AVG, Adaware SE Personal, Spybot. All free. No pc problems except an Idiot (friend) sent me 200 pics in a row and locked up my Outlook Express.

Nothing is 100% effective. I've had no problems and I pay nothing for free protection through these companies. I do however keep close watch on my PC adventures.

HarryO

It's now Symantec, the Norton name is for marketing $$. Their technical staff, or at least the young pup I spoke with over the phone was a joke for a Technician. I think they get too many calls from old ladies or people who are completely blank when it comes to PC's. But in anyevent, you most likely will not need to talk to them for anything. DO NOT INSTALL NORTON GHOST.

I've been using Norton since around 1989 or 1990, yes the DOS days. I've played with Mcafee, Panda and a few beta programs, but came back to Symantec. Symantec has become (IMO) a real software PIG, but it's core programs are great. You really have know the product now, and AGAIN, I sternly advise against installing Norton Ghost.

All you need is the latest edition of System Works Basic Edition for routine PC maintance, and I would highly recommend their Internet Security Package. The security package can cause minor headaches with servers, but if your on a home machine, it's no worry at all. Shy away from their quote, "Professional Editions", their a waste of money and full of stuff you don't want on your HD anyway.

My Grandma killed three. As for spyware, I run Ad-aware and spybot seach and destroy. And HIjack This every now and then. I have dail-up out here in the sticks running 21.6 Kbps. LOOK OUT. If some one wants to scan my comp, they better be fast. We get kick off about every half hour. Running a wall would be good for high speed internet but I don't think I have to worry about that.I might be wrong. I try to watch where I surf. I have no degree in computers. But alot of it isn't that hard to figure out if you take interest in it.

DO NOT INSTALL NORTON GHOST.

Symantec has become (IMO) a real software PIG, but it's core programs are great. You really have know the product now, and AGAIN, I sternly advise against installing Norton Ghost.

All you need is the latest edition of System Works Basic Edition for routine PC maintance, and I would highly recommend their Internet Security Package. The security package can cause minor headaches with servers, but if your on a home machine, it's no worry at all. Shy away from their quote, "Professional Editions", their a waste of money and full of stuff you don't want on your HD anyway.

Glad someone else "stepped up to the plate" with those observations on Symantec: Do not install Ghost (unless you know that you are going to do weird things and wipe out your machine on a right regular basis). It's not necessary and takes up ALOT of your hard drive. Basic vs pro? basic is all that's necessary for most home systems. Their Internet Security package is pretty good, but generally the Norton Firewall will satisfy almost all requirements. Otherwise it's a good product. Their "call center" is really not what it used to be. It's inhabited by folks who have a book with pre-written FAQ's, and they are not always smarter than the tools they work with.... I would wager that 90% of forum members are probably smarter about their computers than the person they are talking to. Problems? It's easier to download the "wipe out all Symantec stuff" program, and re-install whatever they have than calling the center.... Lately (2007), installing any Symantec product is better than before. We have always "wiped out" the previous versions before installing the next one. After a couple years, the updates, patches, mods, etc. generally just cause problems.

All said, it's not too bad and when installed, it certainly works fine. I'm with Gilbert on the 1989-1990 era. Best tool Peter Norton ever had was the "editor". Used it to customize DOS program opening screens, etc. Ah the old days with MASM, dBase, PTP lan systems, etc. My first computer was a 1987 Dell 286 with a really big (10 meg) hard drive. Serial number was 321 or something like that. When I called to order it, it was only 7 in the morning in Austin, TX, and Michael Dell answered the phone!

Do not try to install Ghost on your machine if your "C" drive is SATA. They don't have drivers for that yet. Once you install a Norton product if you want to un-install that product it will still leave many files hidden on your machine. You have to do a re-install of the OS to get rid of those files. They will "haunt" you if you do not. Norton anti-virus slows your computer down by about 20%. I use Trend Micro which is OK. If you have DSL the server will blow away most of the garbage depending on who you are with.

JJK