Placing a TV on top of RC-64 center speaker

JCHout

Last stupid question from me, but I am going to buy a RC-64 center channel speaker, and I am thinking the weight might be too much for the top of my entertainment center. So, what about placing my TV on top of the speaker itself? The TV is a 50" plasma, and the stand for the TV has more than enough room to rest on top of the speaker without hanging off. Also, this would place the center channel speaker at an optimum height as well. Would the speaker be able to handle the weight without possibly damaging it? Could the weight of the TV impact the sound in any way? What are does everyone think? A salesperson said no problem (of course), the tech person from the Klipsch phone line thought it would be OK, but it might be a bad idea, although he really could not say why. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't know enough about the RC-64 to answer your question as to damage but you probably wouldn't be able to tilt up the speaker toward listener ear-level with a TV on top.

This might not help either but a 50" plasma is likely close to 100 pounds, a panasonic 50" at BB is 99+ pounds. Imagine, if you would, a small child standing on your speaker. Does it crumple? Probably not. Is it the best idea for your speaker? Again, probably not.

First of all, thanks a million for the replies (but please keep 'em coming). If I placed it on top, I will rig up something to keep from using the back peg exclusively to support its weight. I am hoping my media center can support its 66 pounds. Any more ideas about putting weight on the speaker itself? Finally, the TV weighs exactly 75 pounds (it blows my mind that this center channel speaker is less than ten pounds lighter than the television).

The plasma TV stand is designed not to scratch a surface, so that will not be an issue. Also the height and placement of the center channel would be optimum at that level. The only questions left would be whether the 75 pound TV would be able to be supported by the 66 pound speaker without: 1. causing damage to the speaker and 2. impacting the sound of the speaker in any way.

You don't need to worry about the speaker cracking AT ALL from the weight of the TV.

Your only concerns need to be:
a) any scratching or marring of the laquer finish on the RC-64 from the long term contact with the feet of the TV.
B) the TV getting nudged such that a foot of the TV slides off the edge of the speaker causing the TV to fall off.

If you're fine with the two points, then just go for it and be happy.

The plasma TV stand is designed not to scratch a surface, so that will not be an issue. Also the height and placement of the center channel would be optimum at that level. The only questions left would be whether the 75 pound TV would be able to be supported by the 66 pound speaker without: 1. causing damage to the speaker and 2. impacting the sound of the speaker in any way.

first make sure that the rubber will not leave black marks, I remember a radioshack antenna left some black smudges that later on dissappeared but pissed me off none the less

second the speaker should be fine to take that weight, it can take alot of weight, probably 500 pounds

Third I would be concerned if the rubber feet might get smushed

Fourth the speaker should sound a bit better actually with the weight since you are artificially adding bracing (the extra weight) to increase its mass and thus prevent vibrations to form as easily

Hmm, so it sounds like it is a go to get this thing then. Listening to these speakers, especially the RC-64, just blows you away. I really doubt that there is a center channel in this price range that comes anywhere close to the sound of this one. If anybody has any reservations about the weight issue, please let me know. Getting the TV on this with my entertainment center is going to take three people at least, and I can't wait. A million thanks to everyone that gave this consideration.

I was thinking that we really don't know anything about the speaker box itself. Then I read the specs on the main website. It says there is internal bracing. This makes me think the construction is very robust.

There is the downside; if the box fails, the monitor will fall to the floor.

I see there are some questions about weight bearing capacity of the stand, etc. My thought is that there might be issues of tipping or collapse well beyond the speaker box. Something to think about.

Gil

its 3/4 inch mdf construction with internal bracing..... I will admit to standing on klipsch rf-83 for a minute to fix something high and close to the speaker on the wall.... no flex, no creaks, no anything, its fine.... I doubt it will fall since box is very huge and if put on a solid surface should bear atleast 500 pounds.

• 16 years later...
On 6/7/2007 at 7:22 PM, JCHout said:

Hmm, so it sounds like it is a go to get this thing then. Listening to these speakers, especially the RC-64, just blows you away. I really doubt that there is a center channel in this price range that comes anywhere close to the sound of this one. If anybody has any reservations about the weight issue, please let me know. Getting the TV on this with my entertainment center is going to take three people at least, and I can't wait. A million thanks to everyone that gave this consideration.

So did you end of putting the TV ON to that Klipsch 64 center speaker.Reason I ask I was thinking to do the same.

My TV is 75 inches Samsung 90 series 2022 

Any feed back will help me to find out having TV on top of center speaker is good idea or not to do it ?

5 hours ago, Laiq said:

So did you end of putting the TV ON to that Klipsch 64 center speaker.Reason I ask I was thinking to do the same.

Any feed back will help me to find out having TV on top of center speaker is good idea or not to do it ?

This thread is 16 years old, he might not reply....

7 hours ago, Laiq said:

You’ll be fine.

If you click on the name of the person you’re quoting you’ll see that they haven’t been on the forum in over fifteen years.

• 2 weeks later...