3 minutes to Miller Time

jacksonbart

Ben, are you safe from the RIFs?

I hope so Steve. At least one of my co-worker friends thought the latest RIFs were decided upon by management a few levels up... sort of spin the wheel or throw the dart to see who gets "Right Sized" and that this round was a percentage of US employees in the company I used to work for that has been swallowed up by the company I now work for. His opinion was a lot of the cheaper labor isn't as good and will lead to lower quality and that we'll lose customers in the long run. In all fairness he has said that many of the oversees people on his current project are very good but he's experienced the not so good as well if not on this project.

In all truthfulness I don't think many of the people I work with are "safe". We have plenty or work for now but that doesn't mean that upper managemnet won't decide to send it off shore. Our team is about to have our allocation cut by about one person but our project manager and team manager have at least part of a person's worth of work lined up.

I used to joke that they couldn't find anybody to do what I do as cheaply but that's not true, they can find 2 or 3 in India or some other country. Not necessarily as good, but cheaper. I just thank God I'm still employed and pray that my co-workers land on their feet.

And in today's company wide teleconference the head cahuna was talking about growth and expanding the work force. Apparently not in the US.

I try not to worry about things I can't control. God knows I've got plenty of things I can control to work on.

Needless to say morale is at an all time high. I was talking with another co-worker this week commented... "remember the good old days when we weren't afraid to come to work?". Sad but true. Almost as good as another co-worker years ago commented during lunch on a death march phase of a project, "Well, does anyone have enough courage to go back to work?". At least then we weren't worried about coming in and finding our team had shrunk.

Chilling out to Liz Story's Solid Colors on Big Music finishing up a diet ginger ale.

Tomorrow's Friday. Finally.

p.s. Steve are you safe from RIFs?

Hey everybody, just a little beer with the chicken I did in the oven tonight.

Tomorrow we will be grilling for the first time this season!!!. Steaks accompanied by some salads and Gordons Tonic. We got up to 13C today and spring is on the way!!!

Have a nice we everyone beer on me tonight!!!!

Fini Hope you get well soon!!

Woah 100 pages, you guys will take over right this minute at this pace!!![:o]

We made it to 100 pages...congrats fellow bar members! Have a round on me, and I am working on a web-based member map...if you want to be a test member, PM me you city/state...no addresses or personal info, just will be username and city. Been twirling this idea around in my head for a bit when I find something and would like to notify a local member of a deal or ask a regional question.

Cheers, ACE

feel terrible, cant type

Heck fini.....you're no fun[:S]

Seriously....hope you feel better very soon and make a full recovery.

Any word on the Verizon interview Ace?

No refreshments for me yet......taking care of the wife who is under the weather....pneumonia among other things[:(]

Hope all the regulars here are doing well.....Cheers gentlemen!

Any word on the Verizon interview Ace?

No luck yet...I guess Verizon was bought out by Frontier in our area, so a lot of the older employees are retiring before the union re-negotiates contracts...and for new employees they have to honor the new contracts, so the old guard wants to get out, and new people will probably get favorable terms, so even if the current position is a no go, the guy said expect several more openings soon...we will see. Thanks Carl for being Guinea Pig #1...you don't join us at the bar, but I know you are checking it out haha. ACE

Ben, are you safe from the RIFs?

p.s. Steve are you safe from RIFs?

Yes Ben, I'm relatively safe (as in no current threat). the one thing that concerns me a little is that a majority of my salary comes from the revenue collected from property taxes, and with the housing bust, houses are being assessed at a lesser value--thus less taxes. the directors of my department are slow to hire because they don't want to ever lay someone off--so we operate with less people than we did in years past. when someone has retired or left for another job--sometimes they don't fill that vacancy. i'm hoping to last there for another five years at least--then I'll be eligible for another retirement.

Chuck, hope the wife gets better very soon. Hang in there bud.

Ace--still hoping that job comes quickly for you. don't give up.

to everyone--Happy Friday!

Morning Ben. You're up early. Yes it looks like we've hit a milestone on JBs thread. Its been a lot of fun for some of us less "technically" inclined to participate and has morphed into something more than a "drinking thread".

Thanks guys for all the well wishes to the wife. Julia is an inspiration and has never met a stranger....she can out talk all of us[:#]

Hope fini is better this morning.

See you guys tonight.

Ben, got you on the map...only 3 so far. Have been talking with Carl (CECAA850) and have hashed out some intersting ideas. As of now I have markers linked to system profiles on member profiles. Have thought about making some sort of key possible so it could denote what type of system people have...heritage, reference , pro ect....the problem is so many people have so many, the key might be a bit confusing with about 20 options...and I have not found an option for an integrated key as of yet. Thanks for letting me add you. Not drinking yet gents haha. About to crack a dt. mountain dew to jumpstart the afternoon. ACE

So I have to keep this thread open while winchester is smoozing with the elite. Okay bluesboy and I rolled some of Thebes 12AX7 tubes and listened to some Sonny Rollins, EL Harris. Mark Knopfler, American Aquarium and had some refreshments.....Evan Williams Single Barrel Reserve. The system was performing at the top of its potential so no complaints here.

Life in the slow lane.....[:P]

I would like a pair of Tannoy Westminsters but for now life is okay.

I sat up in a chair for an hour today!! Doesn't sound like much, but it felt like a big improvement. Looking forward to the appt with the ortho doc on Wed.....

someone get me a beer...Wink

Gregg. Glad you're feeling better. Sitting up for an hour sounds pretty good when you've been horizontal and in pain for a few days. Hoping your ortho doc can make things good as new or at least better.

Someone get Fini his favorite brew on me. Heck make it a six pack.

I would like a pair of Tannoy Westminsters but for now life is okay.

Who woudln't? Those look pretty sweet.

Westminster

Westminster cutaway

I picked up a pair of Tannoy SRM12B studio monitors at a Goodwill a few months back. Probably the closest I'll get to something like the Westminsters. Definitely my best thrift store scores.

SRM12B

One of the websites I found claimed the same 12" concentric driver is the same as used in the Edinburgh....

Edinburgh

Could be a fun project to build Edinburgh type cabinets if my (pretty much nonexistent) cabinet making skills would ever improve enough.