So how bout them Jubs?

DrWho

Dean,

Are you using passives?

Are they the same ones as Roy is using?

Would those same type of passives be avail. to buy to put in a pair?

Paul

Roy's design, but built by me. Klipsch doesn't make and sell them, but I'd probably do it for someone that wanted a pair.

post-3205-13819338565882_thumb.jpg

and we know the base driver is modified with Roy's new phase plug design -- we don't know if that is the case with the B&C.

I had the understanding that the K69 is a "stock" driver as manufactured in Singapor (or wherever). Furthermore that the typical driver used on the 402 in the 3-way format is the driver that Klipsch actually builds and THAT one is the one with the modified phase plug, not the K-69.

Maybe Roy can chime in here and clarify that because I've heard others mention that the K-69 is the driver with modified phase plug.

I was told the 60th Anniversary K-horns blew away the Jub's by the pretty huge margin.

To attempt any comparison of the K's and Jubs, imho, would be a stretch at best. The K-horn room is an acoustically treated, ideal listenting room with comfortable seating and the K's nicely positioned in the corners. The Jubs were in a 32' x 45' hotel ballroom, their position in the ballroom substantially compromised and far from ideal, with scores of people mingling about in front of them. The music selections played on the K's were good recordings. All but a couple of selections played on the Jubs might not fit in the same category. There were, however, two good recordings played on the Jubs that really made them shine, despite their substantially compromised environment.

I own K's and will in a matter of a few days receive my Jubs. Report to follow . . .

This thread was started with the question "So how about them Jubs". Well I just relayed what I was told by a few folks so far.

This thread actually started with:

Just curious what everyone's impressions are concerning the Jubs from the mixer...I know how I feel, but I wanted to see what all y'all have to say. I had a lot of interesting conversations that evening...

Notice the part "from the mixer"? that infers to me he's wondering what people who ACTUALLY heard them think, not a third party interpretation? Maybe I'm wrong?

[:^)]

• Klipsch Employees

The set up of the Jub's at the mixer was the worst case. We had planed to set them up next to the 60th. But when we did, we found the room to be too small for the 2 pr of big speakers. There was only 3 ft between the 402 horns. Not good.

Therefor, we made do. (or do do)

we just do not have a room that would allow a good demo of more than one pr of big speakers.

We chose the 60th because they are limited in build. It may be the only time folks get to hear that speaker.

The Jub's will be around. We should be able to do a better demo at another time.

No doubt the 60th khorns sounded better in their local.

NOSValves

"I was told the 60th Anniversary K-horns blew away the Jub's by the pretty huge margin."

It was probally a shell game to get them sold.....

Were the jubs set up with passives, like in Hope last year, or biamped with active crossover.

Both pairs had passives. Niether were ideal because it was a rush job using close as possible parts from the "junk pile". I believe they plan on fine tuning the passives for the winner of the 510 horn.

Frankly, it is like saying a Chevette blew away a Corvette because the Chevette ran at top speed and the Corvette was rev limited to 15MPH.

The Jubs were clear at incredible volumes and the lf cabinets are awesome. The bass has a solid punch and is crisp.

The demo didn't make me want to drop my Khorns at the first available moment and purchase Jubs right this second - but it was enough to tell me the Jubs ARE a stepup and one I will take.

PS. C'mon Dean. The tube amp the Khorns were on was one of those cheap Chinese POS's. You know they didn't sound good. [bs]

I was told the 60th Anniversary K-horns blew away the Jub's by the pretty huge margin.

To attempt any comparison of the K's and Jubs, imho, would be a stretch at best. The K-horn room is an acoustically treated, ideal listenting room with comfortable seating and the K's nicely positioned in the corners. The Jubs were in a 32' x 45' hotel ballroom, their position in the ballroom substantially compromised and far from ideal, with scores of people mingling about in front of them. The music selections played on the K's were good recordings. All but a couple of selections played on the Jubs might not fit in the same category. There were, however, two good recordings played on the Jubs that really made them shine, despite their substantially compromised environment.

I own K's and will in a matter of a few days receive my Jubs. Report to follow . . .

So you brought them? I thought when trey said the name starts with a "b" I as like "what it be bill hendrix" but I guess you will still get them anyways [:)]

The Jubs were clear at incredible volumes and the lf cabinets are awesome. The bass has a solid punch and is crisp.

O.K., I'll go along with that. No doubt. I just wasn't into "loud" Friday night. I was tired and felt like crap.

PS. C'mon Dean. The tube amp the Khorns were on was one of those cheap Chinese POS's. You know they didn't sound good. PWK BS Button

Real junk, I can't believe Klipsch is using it: Stereophile Class B Component (04/06) and Absolute Sound Editor's Choice (10/06).

So you brought them? I thought when trey said the name starts with a "b" I as like "what it be bill hendrix" but I guess you will still get them anyways [:)]

Hi Jay,

It was GREAT spending time with you in Indy!! Yes, I held my breath when Trey said the name starts with a "b". It just ended wrong for me, but right for Riff. Oh well, I had already decided to buy a pair.

O.K., I'll go along with that. No doubt. I just wasn't into "loud" Friday night. I was tired and felt like crap.

PS. C'mon Dean. The tube amp the Khorns were on was one of those cheap Chinese POS's. You know they didn't sound good. PWK BS Button

Real junk, I can't believe Klipsch is using it: Stereophile Class B Component (04/06) and Absolute Sound Editor's Choice (10/06).

I don't know how it is rated in the mags but the Cayin A88T sure sounded great in Hope on all the Heritage. I was surprised but I still hate how they look.

Man I seem to remember reading from an expert that the room makes little or no difference with a Jub. Heck I also read that the upstream components have little effect as long as they are distortion free.

This thread was started with the question "So how about them Jubs". Well I just relayed what I was told by a few folks so far.

Considering your misrepresentation and misinterpretation of the comments regarding the influence of a room on Jubs, I seriously gotta question your ability to relay anything.

You would probably be interested to know that the Jubilees sounded better at the mixer than your frankenscalas did at AKFest....just some food for thought as you go about "relaying" more information.

You would probably be interested to know that the Jubilees sounded better at the mixer than your frankenscalas did at AKFest....just some food for thought as you go about "relaying" more information.

For that to be a valid comment, it has to be something that someone else reported to you

[A]

I would find it very difficult to integrate an active, etc, with my set up.

What about an active crossover would be difficult with your setup? Passive is certainly an option, but you'll realize better results going active. If it's a money issue, there are cheaper alternatives available. But basically, whatever you've got connecting to your amp right now would get connected to the active crossover and then the active would connect to a pair of amps.

It's important to keep in mind that speaker distortions are orders of magnitude larger than amplifier distortions (most of them anyway). So if you need to sell fancy amps to go with cheaper amps (like the Crown XTi's), then rest assured that the overall sound is still going to improve by a lot.