OT: Surviving heat and humidity

fini

My youngest daughter (16) will be leaving for Japan on Monday for 4 weeks as an exchange student, sponsored by the local Rotary Club. It's an incredible opportunity for her: Two weeks explorung Tokoyo, Hiroshima and Kyoto, then two weeks with a host family in Kagoshima.

I know a lot of my forum brethren live where in the Summer, it is quite hot and humid, like Japan. Here in CA, it's hot, but dry, so I don't have a lot of tricks up my sleeve in terms of dealing with such weather. Of course, indoors there'll be air conditioning, but these kids (16, and one chaperone!) will be climbing hills to visit shrines, walking all over, etc. We've bought her good shoes, double layer high-wick socks, linen pants, and light outerwear from REI (outdoors store). She's also taking a Camelbak backpack.

So, anyone have good tips, warning signs (of heat & humidity related problems), general advice?

• Moderators

Fini,

We have a product down here called "Florida Water"? Have you ever heard of it? It works real good, if you have access to a little ice and water, along with a bandana. Another item, that you wrap around your neck. It is made of cloth and has "gel" in the center of the cloth. You dip the "neck pack" in ice water and place it around your neck. I can't think of the name.

The bottle would have to say "Florida Water" on it and can not be opened, she should be able to travel with it, or you could preship it there.

I have some Florida Water around here so I can get you the exact name, if you can't find it we could get some and ship it to you.

My youngest daughter (16) will be leaving for Japan on Monday for 4 weeks as an exchange student, sponsored by the local Rotary Club. It's an incredible opportunity for her: Two weeks explorung Tokoyo, Hiroshima and Kyoto, then two weeks with a host family in Kagoshima.

I know a lot of my forum brethren live where in the Summer, it is quite hot and humid, like Japan. Here in CA, it's hot, but dry, so I don't have a lot of tricks up my sleeve in terms of dealing with such weather. Of course, indoors there'll be air conditioning, but these kids (16, and one chaperone!) will be climbing hills to visit shrines, walking all over, etc. We've bought her good shoes, double layer high-wick socks, linen pants, and light outerwear from REI (outdoors store). She's also taking a Camelbak backpack.

So, anyone have good tips, warning signs (of heat & humidity related problems), general advice?

Well, living in Virginia, it can be quite hot and humid here (it is supposed to get to 100 degrees on Sunday, and be pretty darned humid on top of that!).

To deal with the the heat, you use pretty much the same precautions as with any hot climate (humid or not). Wear light, loose-fitting clothes and drink plenty of fluids (the Camelbak is an excellent idea). The big key is to try to stay hydrated as much as possible. Also, don't over extend yourself outdoors in the heat and take rests on occasion (find a shady spot at all possible). Sounds like you already got her some good equipment in the light outwear and high-wick socks. Also, not a bad idea to use some good quality sun-block as well.

mix in a gatorade amongst the water. fluids are definitely the key. warning signs would be a headache, tiredness, weakness, cramps, and/or nausea. as long as she sips on water and is doing just normal sightseeing (not playing soccer or running wind sprints), she should be ok.

tell her not to drink a bunch of cokes too or anything with caffeine.

You have the bases covered, so, as a review (only and no insult!!)... and based on 30 years active duty experience... partuclarly with Camelbaks (in the desert (don't ask..), weird mountains, swamps, Bosnia...); that is probably the best thing she will take!! Key things.. don't let her put gatorade, etc in it... It will turn into a science project... Also, obtain a spare "tube", and a spare mouthpiece (the black "nipple"). They get chewed up... They also need to be rinsed out every night with a teaspoon of bleach, or sodium hypochlorite, rinsed and hung up to dry out.

If you have not already, get her some 'coolmax' t-shirts and socks; they wick the humidity away and are very light. Also make sure she that she has a spare pair of running/walking shoes. When it's hot/ humid, feet sweat alot, and she should alternate pairs each day. Go to "rangerjoe.com", or direct from "blackhawk.com" and look at what they have for coolmax. Reliable folks and we use them under contract for "hydration" and similar needs.

Neck cloth/ bandanna is optional, but should be cotton or coolmax cloth, and can be wetted (with the c'bak) and will cool her neck and lower "brain stem" to keep her cool if necessary.

Sunblock, dependent on her complexion. SPF 45+ is best

Looks like she's prepped, just the constant reminder to drink all 70+ ounces of water a day (dependent on the C'Bak bladder size). Not to be rude, or improper, but as a C/O of a SPECWAR unit, I would remind her (as I do my "troops") to drink constantly until she has to go to the little girls room at least every 4-6 hours. That way she will stay properly hydrated.

First few days will be a "killer" if she's not used to it. If she cramps up climbing up to the shrines..., tell her to just sit down, stretch the legs out and drink water.... Kids are tough!! she should do just fine!!

Hope that is of some assistance.

You could see your local travel medicine doctor and tell him/her where she'll be going. They'll look it up for current viruses and make recommendations. My wife is from Thailand and we visited for a couple weeks. Since our daughter and I are not from Asia, our local travel medicine doctor told us to get a Hep A shot (for hepatitis A) because of how the food there is handled (and the cook's bathroom techniques). Asians are immune to it, but we are not. They'll also check to see if there have been any recent outbreaks of malaria (from mosquitoes) or any other infectious diseases. Sun block and bug repellant were some of the best things I took with me to Asia that I did not easily find once I got there. Keeping well hydrated (using bottled water) is common sense, but purification tablets would be a great idea. Comfortable shoes, extra rechargeable battery (and battery charger,...look on the charger to see if it'll accpet 220V. My Nikon point-n-shoot does.), and a 1 GB memory card for her camera, and a cool fanny pack to secure her passport and wallet. Tell her to turn her cell phone off, too, or she'll get hit with roaming charges. (Mine was about $2 / minute in Bangkok!) I doubt she'll need to know it, but knowing how to ask where the restroom is in Japanese might be helpful.

• Moderators

She's a teenager. You think she's going to listen to good advice? Tell to have fun and be good. She'll be fine you worry wart.

I have met Fini's daughters. Both are fine examples of how young adults in America should act. Yes....I know she will listen to good advice. I also know she will represent her family, school, state and country well while in Japan.

So...do tell her to have fun and be good.....and Fini I know you will worry no matter what we say...it's inbred into parents.[;)]

You should try spending one summer month down here in New Orleans, La. then you will know all you need to know about heat. It's like being in a tropical rain forrest.

Jay

a month???? just one night stumbling out of snake & jake's with the sun well up in the sky piercing me like a ray of fire was all i needed.

• Moderators

You should try spending one summer month down here in New Orleans, La. then you will know all you need to know about heat. It's like being in a tropical rain forrest.

Jay

a month???? just one night stumbling out of snake & jake's with the sun well up in the sky piercing me like a ray of fire was all i needed.

Jay,

These amateurs couldn't make it down here!!

Funkyhambone, one night of partying down here and you are done?????

just drink plenty of water

there are vending machines EVERYWHERE, even in remote mountain/country trails - so as long as on reminds self to keep well hydrated and knows one's limitations there should be NO problem.

Jay,

These amateurs couldn't make it down here!!

Funkyhambone, one night of partying down here and you are done?????

no, no, no i was simply referring to the HEAT.

i ain't no amateur.......i've been coming down to the big easy for 21 years. i can hang and then some. yeh you right!

just look on the walls of central lockup if you don't believe me.

Thanks for all the good tips! I did already get Paloma one of those neck wrap dealies with the gunk inside (great description, eh?). Christy, thank you for the lovely comments about my daughters! I think they're pretty great myself. You know, they think you're pretty cool, too!

One more shopping trip today. I will get her something to use to clean her Camelbak. Thanks, guys, for the confirmation tthat the Camelbak is a good idea.