DIBS! I CALL DIBS!

jtnfoley

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hell i didnt know this was a business, guess ill have to remember that if i offer up something else here and you business beleivers want it, as for the hobbiest here just enjoying the music, and the klipsch well i will follow my past and offer deals on gear i no longer need / use

i understand the excitement that comes along with finding a great deal on gear, you just cant help but tell someone, especially those you may consider friends, i beleive the thread was just that, a member found a deal and posted here out of excitement over finally finding a wanted item within financial range..............calling dibs was there way of stating they truly wanted the item (even if it is viewed as a childs game) i have seen countless events here where forum friends have stepped aside so a member could buy an item (not kick tires and cause everyone else to loose out, i personally have not heard 1 single event where this has happened)

lets stay in the spirit of the HOBBY and leave the business out of it

Joe

Then maybe we shouldn't sell stuff on the forum..............When you post on E-bay, audiogon, etc....Is that all about the hobby, too? Never been burned by holding on to something for someone, and they don't take it? Good faith needs to be practiced on both sides of the deal seller/buyer...buyer/seller, that is not always the case..........

DIBS.....put you finger in the piece of pie you want.....black-black no trade back (baseball cards only!).....I'll bring cash in the morning! (TRANSLATION: if my wife lets me after about 2-weeks of pleading and then I'll give you my best rubber check - for "part payment" and the rest next time you catch me)

Grow Up! Get over it! Get a real life - things happen. It's the Law of Combat Random - one guy does everything "by the book" and dies on the beach while the company "sadsack" survives a direct hit by a nuke and gets a medal for heroism!!

AMY....stop this thread. Puh-leeze!

This discussion has come up before and will come up again. It's one of those issues where there is no absolute right or wrong, but each person must do what his/her conscience dictates. IMO, the real difference is between offerings confined to the forum and those that involve third parties through eBay, Craigslist, etc. I feel that forum members should earn the right of first refusal on items offered though the forum to forum members. Calling "DIBS" in that scenario is appropriate. Calling dibs regarding items available off the forum is naive, at best.

If you're interested, a similar thread is linked below and my lengthy post in that thread is included here in blue text. BTW, the CWs in the linked thread did not go to the friend.

Please Don't Bid On CWs from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Silver Spring, MD <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/3/682038/ShowThread.aspx

We can probably all agree that the Klipsch Forum is a family of hobbyists, not a business. Within that family its appropriate and common for members to offer deals to each other at less than eBay prices before offering their Klipsch to the rest of the world through eBay, Audiogon, etc. Consistent with that philosophy is the unwritten custom that sellers through the Forum state asking prices, rather than pitting Forum members against one another in a bidding war. Most seem to honor the principle that the first person to express interest has the right to buy at the stated price and that other Forum members should not try to outbid each other. No one is hurt by this custom. Its all done voluntarily.

Also consistent with that philosophy, we alert each other to the availability of interesting items on eBay, Audiogon, Craigslist, local newspaper classified ads, etc. Thumpelstiltskin/Rick comes to mind as one of the most prolific members in this regard. Rick bought Four Abused La Scalas[1] from a bar in Ohio. He sold them to Colterphoto1/ Michael Colter who traveled from Indy to southeast Ohio to collect them. Before leaving to collect the La Scalas, Michael sold two to me and two to a Klipsch employee. He made the trip for the love of Klipsch, not to make a profit.

At the time that discussions were underway regarding the La Scalas, Travisc posted about the availability of a 1956 Khorn cabinet on Audiogon.[2] Michael expressed interest in that cabinet. I made the thirty minute drive to check it out. Although not personally interested, I paid $200 for the cabinet and a bunch of Advent speakers in various states of disrepair and stored them in our warehouse to preserve them for Michael.

Michael needed some assistance while traveling to Ricks place to collect the La Scalas. Quickly emails, PMs and phone calls between yours truly, BEC, Sputnik and other Forum members assured that the curly headed one arrived at Ricks to collect the La Scalas.[3] Until I rendezvoused with Michael at a truck stop in Fort Wayne, Indiana, wed never met.

Prior to the Ft. Wayne meeting, Michael had decided against rebuilding the 56 Khorn. Only after he surrendered his prior claim was it sold to a man in Belgium and eventually delivered to his local contact here in suburban Detroit. Michael and I exchanged two La Scalas for cash and most of the Advents. Disregarding time and fuel, I recovered the $200 Id fronted to buy the 56 Khorn and Advents. The integrity of the Forum and the hobby were preserved.

Its appropriate that we alert each other to the availability of Klipsch and other interesting items, but there is a risk. For example, I spotted a set of Klipsh La Scala speakers on eBay and brought them to the attention of the Forum members. Due to the misspelling of Klipsch, they were under the radar and had the potential to be a bargain. Unfortunately for HDBRbuilder/Andy, he had already seen them and would have preferred that they stay below the radar. Its my recollection (could be incorrect) that Andy was the successful bidder on the La Scalas; success that came without asking other Forum members to stay away from the speakers.

At the family table its appropriate for the last slice of pizza to be earmarked for a specific family member. It would be naïve to try the same at a restaurant. While the family members are free to decide among themselves who has the highest claim to the last slice of pizza, they have no right to bind non-family members to their agreement. While they are staring at the last slice, its possible that a non-family member will buy it.

The foregoing merely reflects my opinions regarding the strengths and limitations of the Forum as a way to help each other. It would be a shame if Thumpelstiltskin and others on the Forum stopped alerting the Forum to the availability of Klipsch or other desirable items because they could not fairly steer them to certain individuals. Was Andy disappointed when I brought the Klipsh La Scalas he was stalking to the attention of the rest of the Forum? Sure he was, but he got them anyway. Each Forum member is free to not bid on items that another Forum member is pursuing, but there is always the risk that a non-Forum member will get the last piece of pizza anyway. How does that help the Forum? Its better for everyone (sellers and buyers) when everyone bids what he/she feels the item is worth to them. If a Forum member identifies an item that she/he is pursuing from a non-Forum member, he/she does so at the risk that another Forum member will value the item more highly and make a higher bid/offer to the non-Forum member.

Ill get off my soapbox now. If you need a favor in the Detroit area, dont hesitate to contact me.

[1] http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/616881/ShowPost.aspx

[2] http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/622000/ShowPost.aspx

[3] http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/626067/ShowPost.aspx#626067

I feel that forum members should earn the right of first refusal on items offered though the forum to forum members. Calling "DIBS" in that scenario is appropriate. Calling dibs regarding items available off the forum is naive, at best.

That pretty much covers it.

Someone else mentioned the lurkers, and that's a good point too -- I'm pretty sure that for every person that actively posts, there are at least 20 or more that don't. When I get emails and PM's about crossovers, it's typically from someone I've never seen post or heard of before. It's come up in conversation before with Craig, Bob, and Al -- who have told me the same thing. You also have those that view the forum without being registered. Bottom line: If you see something out there you want, you should probably keep your mouth shut and go after it.

To the "summer crowd," newbies and lurkers as well. (And a few of you older farts, too!! Post count wise.)

I said it before.... "There are a few people that abuse his "unwritten trust issue" of helping others on here. They quickly find out no one will help them out later.. Call it moral suasion if you like, but treat others like you would like to be treated, goes a long way on here and in real life."

Off of the Klipsch BB I agree, first come first served. Keep your mouth shut n go get them. Someone just scored a pair of Cornwalls that worked for like 25 dollars in the last few weeks at a nearby garage sale. THAT was a score!

There are lots of people that will offer their time and energy to educate, help find, help set up, offer suggestions if you just ask politely. That is really what THIS forum is all about. Maybe a few new and old need to be reminded about that!

I'm of the opinion that if somebody on the forum calls dibs on an item I am surely not going to go behind their backs and try to buy said item out from underneath them. To me thats what this forum is all about...... helping each other. But maybe I'm wrong and need to re-evaluate. Nope.... this forum is about helping/showing/teaching each other... Not undercutting... But that's just my thoughts/opinion.

Dave

I'm of the opinion that if somebody on the forum calls dibs on an item I am surely not going to go behind their backs and try to buy said item out from underneath them. To me thats what this forum is all about...... helping each other. But maybe I'm wrong and need to re-evaluate. Nope.... this forum is about helping/showing/teaching each other... Not undercutting... But that's just my thoughts/opinion.

Dave

That's all well and good, but:

1) At any given time, there will be more NON-registered readers here than registered,

2) Pollyanna was just a story.

Never let your deal go down.