La Scala II Serial # 1 and 2

jwc

JC

Hadn't realized it was you who scored the LaScalas. Congrats.

Also, thanks for the review. It is pretty amazing for Klipsch engineering to pull off an improvement of that design. From needing a sub to OK without a sub is pretty significant, IMO.

It is also some fine time to share with your spouse when she is hearing what you are hearing.

DD.

I'm still surprised too. Again, It wasn't in my plans to get these. I bought them out of heritage respect and to have a little "history". I actually had told myself I would never have another pair of La Scalas due to the big lack of bass that I desire.

Yes, I will stand firm to say....I can listen w/o a sub at this point. That would have never been an option with my 88' La Scalas.

After bangin' this discovery around in my head a few days, I got to thinking of what exactly happened with this "improved" la scala. Yes, there is the reinforced bass bin with 1" MDF....but I'm wondering if there is more to do with some low end EQ. Someone posted a response curve of the La Scala II a while back.....I wish I could see that again.

jc

I don't know if they eq anything or not BUT, I was told by Jim Hunter when we were in Hope last year that "my" (or presumably ANY) LaScalas can be made to sound like the new versions, just by taming the side wall resonances.

He said the amount of sound/quality/depth is there "in mine" but it's just run over by the sidewalls shaking & baking.

My understanding is by putting that wedgie in the mouth of older ones will help tighten that up. I have a third LaScala that will become a center channel... I will also use it as my test mule to try to build the center braces. I might also glue/screw some more plywood or possibly MDF (though I really detest that stuff) on the OUTSIDE of the box. I don't really care what I do to the third LaScala I have. I WILL be very careful on what I do to my original LaScalas since I bought them new in 1979, I want to be careful on what I do to them. My beater box though...

I might add that since my LaScalas will be hidden inside cubbyholes under the stairwell, I'm not too concerned at the looks of the center channel.

I heard the same info Richard. If it is just the sidewalls.....then many should consider there own upgrade with reinforcement. But I would really like to know if the low end has been EQ'ed.

jc

• Moderators

I noticed a big difference between the L1 and L2 but most people said it couldn't be that much better sounding. IMO the bass is more articulate which was a pleasant suprise. They are also amazing looking speakers. Klipsch really hit one out of the ballpark with the revamped Heritage line.

Seti,

I couldn't agree with you more. I thought the L2 were awesome looking. I was really impressed with the L2 when we visited Hope.

JW, your wife has to be pleased with the sound and look of these speakers.

Congratulations again...to both of you.

I really like the Las2. At the moment I would say it is my all time favorite Klipsch speaker.

The bass sounds more live than the Khorn. Way better than the old LAS 1. Sure it is not as low as a khorn but that is no big deal IMO. The bass slam is amazing on the LAS s

If I ever move an redo a HT, I will have 3 LAS 2s across the front.

JM

• Moderators

jmalotky,

Funny you should say that because dtel and I thought the same thing. Only difference....our Cornwall IIIs are my favorite for sentimental reasons.

The Las2 were awesome. Having heard both Las1 and Las2 I would have to say the Las2 sounded more live also. The bass was definitely right on in the Las2's we heard in Hope...so JW I can honestly say you have some awesome sounding speakers. I wanted to bring that exact pair home with me, but there wasn't any room in the Jeep after we loaded up the Cornwall IIIs.[;)]

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a pair recently and I think they have done more than improve the bass.

They had a smoother sound compared to my 2004 La Scalas. Of course I use a SS pre with a tube amp and they were hooked up to a tube int amp. Need to take my SS pre over and then compare.

I think if Klipsch can get some dealers to demo the LS IIs correctly they would sell!!

They had a smoother sound compared to my 2004 La Scalas. Of course I use a SS pre with a tube amp and they were hooked up to a tube int amp. Need to take my SS pre over and then compare.

I think if Klipsch can get some dealers to demo the LS IIs correctly they would sell!!

I couldn't agree more. It would be easy for someone to look at my posts and say to themselves "of course they sound good to him; he is on the klipsch forum and payed big bucks for them".

They sound great....still surprised at what I am hearing. The bass is better than my late 88' La scalas. Easily Noticeable. Very clean. Pushed now by all SS stuff....no tubes. Same setup as before.

Yes...there needs to be a better way to demo these besides waiting for the Klipsch Pilgrimages. I don't even think the LS2's got much attention at the last Indy trip. If they were demoed there....not many spoke of them.

jc

I couldn't agree more. It would be easy for someone to look at my posts and say to themselves "of course they sound good to him; he is on the klipsch forum and payed big bucks for them".

They sound great....still surprised at what I am hearing. The bass is better than my late 88' La scalas. Easily Noticeable. Very clean. Pushed now by all SS stuff....no tubes. Same setup as before.

Yes...there needs to be a better way to demo these besides waiting for the Klipsch Pilgrimages. I don't even think the LS2's got much attention at the last Indy trip. If they were demoed there....not many spoke of them.

jc

After having heard your dual bass bin cabinets, these comments are saying a LOT. Those cabs have bass.

Bruce