For those who hate the sound of Heresys...

pmsummer

I had Heresys for almost thirty years and am somewhat of an expert on them.[:P]

Those who hate Heresys have commited one or more of the following sins:

Placed then on stands up off the floor and/or pulled them out of the corners

Insisted on using mid-fi solid state amps instead of tube amps

Played them way too too loud

The Heresy tweeter is 3dB higher relative to the mid and low end than the rest of the Heritage because they are made to go on the floor in the corners. Their tweets are lower in elevation from the floor than the rest of the Heritage and the boost is to compenstate. Those that put them elevated up on stands are defeating the purpose of the tweeter boost and losing the low end as well.

The Heresys were first introduced in the mid fifties, no transisters around at that time -all tubes. They should be played with tubes only. Using 80's and 90's SS is asking for trouble.

Because of their efficiency many try to play the Heresy too loud just because it will do it. This is not the path to Heresy Heaven.

By the way, what was it they got in the original?

Paul,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Although most will agree with your statement about elevating the Heresys, I have to say this will depend a lot on the listening room and the total sum of your equipment. In my case my listening room is the study/computer room, rather small at 10 x 12. Due to room furnishings and/or obstructions, I have found a very nice placement is with the cabinets elevated to where the tweeters are close to ear level. They are on custom stands with no tilt. They are pulled out slightly from the corners to clear some of the room obstructions.

I may be losing some (potential) bass response but I dont care because I use a sub-woofer. It is an inexpensive sub that I robbed from the HT, but it blends in nicely with the Heresys. I will upgrade the sub(s) soon for an even more refined tone. I must say, however, that I gained a little better bass response with my recent cap replacements. On lots of music, my system sounds VERY nice for what it is. On 90% of what I listen to, I dont consider the Heresys at all harsh or shrill. On some recordings, yeah, you are reaching for the volume control. But that is true with everyones system, right? And yes, tubes transformed my system to the next level (or three) compared to what I traditionally used.

I am starting to make some progress with my back injury/treatments, so I would like to have you over soon for a listen. Maybe in a week or so. BTW, what is the name of that record cleaner that you use? And could you share your recipe for the fluid?

Rick

I like bagpipes too. Even play in a competition pipe band (I'm a drummer, not a piper).

However, I'll admit that the one style of music I don't like on my Klipschorns is pipe band music. When we practice or perform, I always wear earplugs. When I crank my Khorns up to where I'd like them for the drums, the pipes will just about take your head off. It sounds just like the pipers are there in the room with me. 

Steve

When I crank my Khorns up to where I'd like

them for the drums, the pipes will just about take your head off. It

sounds just like the pipers are there in the room with me.

And just whose fault is that? Paul Klipsch, or some ancient Celt whose haggis was too tough to chew? [;)]

I had Heresys for almost thirty years and am somewhat of an expert on them.[:P]

Those who hate Heresys have commited one or more of the following sins:

Placed then on stands up off the floor and/or pulled them out of the corners

Insisted on using mid-fi solid state amps instead of tube amps

Played them way too too loud

The Heresy tweeter is 3dB higher relative to the mid and low end than the rest of the Heritage because they are made to go on the floor in the corners. Their tweets are lower in elevation from the floor than the rest of the Heritage and the boost is to compenstate. Those that put them elevated up on stands are defeating the purpose of the tweeter boost and losing the low end as well.

The Heresys were first introduced in the mid fifties, no transisters around at that time -all tubes. They should be played with tubes only. Using 80's and 90's SS is asking for trouble.

Because of their efficiency many try to play the Heresy too loud just because it will do it. This is not the path to Heresy Heaven.

By the way, what was it they got in the original?

Paul,

Although most will agree with your statement about elevating the Heresys, I have to say this will depend a lot on the listening room and the total sum of your equipment. In my case my listening room is the study/computer room, rather small at 10 x 12. Due to room furnishings and/or obstructions, I have found a very nice placement is with the cabinets elevated to where the tweeters are close to ear level. They are on custom stands with no tilt. They are pulled out slightly from the corners to clear some of the room obstructions.

I may be losing some (potential) bass response but I dont care because I use a sub-woofer. It is an inexpensive sub that I robbed from the HT, but it blends in nicely with the Heresys. I will upgrade the sub(s) soon for an even more refined tone. I must say, however, that I gained a little better bass response with my recent cap replacements. On lots of music, my system sounds VERY nice for what it is. On 90% of what I listen to, I dont consider the Heresys at all harsh or shrill. On some recordings, yeah, you are reaching for the volume control. But that is true with everyones system, right? And yes, tubes transformed my system to the next level (or three) compared to what I traditionally used.

I am starting to make some progress with my back injury/treatments, so I would like to have you over soon for a listen. Maybe in a week or so. BTW, what is the name of that record cleaner that you use? And could you share your recipe for the fluid?

Rick

Hey Rick,

Really glad to hear you're on the mend. I'll be on the New Mexico - Colorado border for a week of kayaking and sailing, but I will be back around the end of the month. That might be a good time to get together.

I use the Orbitrac cleaner.

Here is TNT's take on it - http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/orbitrac.html

Here is SoundStage!'s take on it - http://www.soundstage.com/upton05.htm

Here is the MusicAngle's take on it - http://www.musicangle.com/feat.php?id=54 - this is the article that started a letter campain for Allsop to put the Orbitrac back into production after they stopped making it a while back.

Out of stock most places, replacement pads and solution still everywhere.

Looks like these guys might have it - http://www.themusic.com/search.cfm?gear_brand=Allsop&sidebar=gear

The fluid I make is simple, effective, and inexpensive using distilled water, Isopropyl Alcohol, Clorox, and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

A pint of 70% Iso is about 60 cents at any drug store.

The actual application of the fluid is with a small spray bottle. The solution I mix is stored in a 16oz bottle that used to contain Dishwasher III fluid, but any brand new water bottle (bike bottles are good) can be used and are about the right size.

Going into the 16oz bottle I put:

1oz of the 70% Iso

15oz of distilled water

2 drops of Clorox

2 drops of Dawn

This results in about a 4% Iso solution which is easy on the vinyl.

The Clorox will reduce the chance of mold, fungi, and other life forms that like to hide in the grooves. In an air conditioned environment most of these will not thrive, but there are some others (mites, other microscopic insects) that can do well even in a dry groove. Anyway, none of them like any hint of Clorox.

The Dawn acts as a surfactant/wetting agent (lowers the surface tension of the water) to more easily remove organic compounds and so the fluid won't try to bead up on the vinyl at a microscopic level.

In practice I give the cleaning pad two sprays from about 8 inches so very little is used - the pad is dry after 10 laps, but I give it 3 laps with the second drying pad anyway. I have been using this same fluid as stylus cleaner and it seems to do quite well.

The kit comes with some rubber mats on which to place a record for off table cleaning. I do all my cleaning on the turntable platter. On hand turns the Orbitrac and the other uses two fingers to hold the edge of the platter/record still, hopping one then the over finger as the cleaner goes by each lap.

I'll look you up the beginning of next month.

Paul

post-16099-13819339112794_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Heresy pair new in 1976. After listening to SS for decades, I switched to a pair of Quicksilver Horn Mono amps and a Quicksilver Full-Function preamp about a year ago. I definitely prefer the tubes over SS. And should I desire more from the bass region, I blend in my Bag End Infra18 sub. Marvelous!!!

Hal

I bought my Heresy pair new in 1976.  After listening to SS for decades, I switched to a pair of Quicksilver Horn Mono amps and a Quicksilver Full-Function preamp about a year ago.  I definitely prefer the tubes over SS.  And should I desire more from the bass region, I blend in my Bag End Infra18 sub.  Marvelous!!!

Hal

Just out of curiosity Hal, if you bought your Klipsch new in 1976 you must have had a mentor or been exposed to some pretty good gear at the time?

I was a year out of high school and had my bad @ss Panasonic "all in one" with an 8-track to boot.

What were the other players, I would imagine JBL L100s would be competing with the Heresies?

Pete

I also love bagpipes (and uilleann pipes), tubas, AND accordions.

I really like the uilleann pipes perfect for pipes for pubs. Hard to imagine playing bagpipes indoors omg.

I have to agree. Scottish bagpipes are sometimes called War Pipes and they do work to best effect on the battlefield. I think they scared some of the Kaiser's troops out of their trenches in WW1.

Uillean pipes are great indoors and have been used on many movie soundtracks to give a pensive or melancholy mood.

Hi Pete.

I was a Sophomore in college 1n '76....my roomate had a pair of the Decorator's model Heresy (you know...no grille). I fell in love with 'em and had to buy a pair. I had worked in the oilfield the previous summer between semesters and saved enough $$ to buy the Heresy pair, a newly introduced Kenwood KA9100 integrated amp, and a Technics SL2000 TT. Been hooked ever since.

Hal