La Scalla or Cornwall??

JSP

OK, at least you can appreciate it for movies....

I have only heard the SVS sub systems so far in my life two times. They are incredible for explosions, maybe a great fit for movies.. Hehehe maybe too much punch, bang, whiz, thump, too? I am just not so sure how MUSICAL the big tube is? (Your opinions?) I am not slamming SVS here, I want your opinion?

The THX system is very musical with the "in your face" Scala's. That is what I was trying to point out. Just about everyone that heard them at the pilgrimage or here is just in awe. (And I do not think they are just being polite because that is what I have? LOL)

I own both the tube and box varieties of SVS subs. For some unknown reason, the larger SVS boxes sound more musical than their tube brethren. I thought that the dual-driver SVS boxes were musical enough to keep up with a full compliment of Belles. These days, however, the large SVS "box" is turned off for music since K-horns in hard corners now anchor the system.

Carl.

OK, at least you can appreciate it for movies....

I have only heard the SVS sub systems so far in my life two times. They are incredible for explosions, maybe a great fit for movies.. Hehehe maybe too much punch, bang, whiz, thump, too? I am just not so sure how MUSICAL the big tube is? (Your opinions?) I am not slamming SVS here, I want your opinion?

The THX system is very musical with the "in your face" Scala's. That is what I was trying to point out. Just about everyone that heard them at the pilgrimage or here is just in awe. (And I do not think they are just being polite because that is what I have? LOL)

I own both the tube and box varieties of SVS subs. For some unknown reason, the larger SVS boxes sound more musical than their tube brethren. I thought that the dual-driver SVS boxes were musical enough to keep up with a full compliment of Belles. These days, however, the large SVS "box" is turned off for music since K-horns in hard corners now anchor the system.

Carl.

La Scala's do not need a sub if you are driving them with proper amplification. In my room there is no comparison between the La Scala's and CW's. The mids/highs on the La Scala's are much more open and detailed, and play louder without any strain, and the bottom end is still plentiful. Most here have always preferred the CW, but I think it has to do with their amplification more than anything.

Mike

Yea, but that's not a fair fight with the 511s.

Hi Carl,

Yeah, I agree it's not a fair fight, but like you I prefer the mids/highs with the stock K400. And also agree the ALK networks were able to balance the La Scala (and open them up) and even out the advantage the CW had in this regard. Don't get me wrong I love my CW's, and hope one day I can have a separate room for them (maybe even build a HT with 5 of them).

Mike

Of course you know that was tongue in cheek because I currently run 511s in back and Trachorns up front.

Carl.

cornwalls

what will you be using for a center for ht?

i am using cornwalls with a heresy center for ht.

before i got the khorns i was using cornwalls for 2 channel after replacing my LS.

I liked the LS, but the cornwalls just sounded better to me in my setup in my room,etc.

good luck and i hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting.

danny

I have a pair of LaScalas that sound incredibly good with beautiful detail in the mid range and high end. The bass is is very clean and tight, but doesn't thunder and resonate all over the house (which is a good thing, I think). My LaScalas are great for acoustic music - country blues, old jazz, bluegrass, etc. I have no experience with Cornwalls.

A potential drawback of LaScalas is their awkward size. Each one is almost the size of a clothes dryer, so they will jut out from the wall beyond your entertainment center and they don't fit neatly into corners like Khorns. The footprint is 2x2 feet. My lady friend just about threw a fit when I brought the LaScalas home, but she likes them now because they are great for displaying knick knacks.

Bob

CornScallas

Well, it's about time. Good post Jack!

tc

Still loving mine BEC made. Someone outta buy jc's before hear tears them up. I would if I could figure how to get them to me. I can't go 3 states right now.

A potential drawback of LaScalas is their awkward size. Each one is almost the size of a clothes dryer, so they will jut out from the wall beyond your entertainment center and they don't fit neatly into corners like Khorns. The footprint is 2x2 feet. My lady friend just about threw a fit when I brought the LaScalas home, but she likes them now because they are great for displaying knick knacks.

Bob

Actually, having your La Scalas stick out past your entertainment center is a good thing, so that the TV and any other large object between the speakers does not affect/compromise the sound as much. Front speakers should be able to "see" each other so they can work best together.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my La Scala's for a weekend now. I have played them with and without a sub. For most music, I turned the sub off, but when listening to more roch and roll type music, I did add the sub back in. I am using a Paradigm PS-1200 Sub that has an upgraded Driver (I forget what I put into it, but it reaches down to 12HZ). I have my crossover on the sub set at 55HZ so there is very little overlap with the Scala's. All i gain is the really low end by having the sub. Most older music doesn't even touch the sub, some newer recordings...anything into the 90's or that has been digitally remastered will touch those frequencies below 55hz.

My Vote is La Scala's.

KAK

Thanks for all your suggestions! I went for the cornwalls - they are outstanding!! I don't need the sub anymore! I am really enjoying the sound and they really opened up the two channel for me.

Perhaps I will look for some Belles to add to the system.

JP

KAK If that pretty lady goes with you to Cubbies games ... YOU HAVE A WINNER!

I always loved going up with my wife to Wrigleyville.... Hot day, a cool drink(s) and a Cubs win... Hard to beat!

Two outa three isn't bad...

Bruce