New Speakers or New CD Player

muskie

This is my first post, so please be gentle.

I am looking to upgrade my system, but I am not sure what to do first, get new speakers (Cornwall IIs or La Scalas) or a new CD Player (probably an AH! Tjoeb 4000).

My current system consists of:

Speakers: Klipsch RF-3 IIs Integrated amp: Trends Audio 10.1 CD Player: Cheap Pioneer SACD/DVD Audio bought at Costco

(I also have a pair of "Butt Kickers" hooked up to my listening chair, running off a pair of Marantz MA-500 mono-blocks....just for fun.)

Eventually I will do both the speakers and the CD Player, but finances dictate that I can only do one right now.

In case it makes a difference, I listen to just about everything, but mostly I listen to Old School rock, Jazz, Motown, Country, and some Classical music.

I just found this forum. I am really impressed with the wealth of knowledge here and the willingness to share the knowledge with others.

Thanks in advance.

Muskie

I'm not so sure. You've got a chimp amp. Some like them very much, I don't but if it floats your boat ok.

I've head the RF3's and they are very nice at the price point. I've also probably got your Pioneer cdp and and am not impressed.

The 'Ah is a big step up price-wise and it would eliminate some grain from your music, broaden and deepen the soundstage. If you wanted to get into tubes I'd probably do that with amplification , not cpd. the new Rega cdp's are very well thought of and probably a bit cheaper. Mid level Denon dvd's are also very good.

Used Cornies about $700. Very, very nice. Selling the the RF3's would mean the total outlay on new speakers is not that bad at all.

So you have options. Try stuff out. Go from there. sorry no hard advice on this one.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum! I would say speakers first then upgrade the rest.

LaScala IIs are awesome, but the Cornwall IIIs are really good speakers too!!! It all depends on your budget!!!

Again, welcome, hope you stick around for awhile!

This is my first post, so please be gentle.

I am looking to upgrade my system, but I am not sure what to do first, get new speakers (Cornwall IIs or La Scalas) or a new CD Player (probably an AH! Tjoeb 4000).

My current system consists of:

Speakers: Klipsch RF-3 IIs Integrated amp: Trends Audio 10.1 CD Player: Cheap Pioneer SACD/DVD Audio bought at Costco

(I also have a pair of "Butt Kickers" hooked up to my listening chair, running off a pair of Marantz MA-500 mono-blocks....just for fun.)

Eventually I will do both the speakers and the CD Player, but finances dictate that I can only do one right now.

In case it makes a difference, I listen to just about everything, but mostly I listen to Old School rock, Jazz, Motown, Country, and some Classical music.

I just found this forum. I am really impressed with the wealth of knowledge here and the willingness to share the knowledge with others.

Thanks in advance.

Muskie

I agree, I'd go with Speajers first.

But I'd throw in a suggestion. Both Cornwalls and LaScallas are big speakers and hard to move in and out of your house. I't be sure of which one you preferred before you bought them. Try to listen to both first, before you decide.

And If you have some corners in your house - Go with Khorns - You'll be satisfied with those even if you haven't heard them.

muskie,

welcome.

what is your music room like; large,small etc.

when you listen to music do you like to listen loud,soft or somewhere in between? like alot of bass?

if it was me (and i am so glad it isn't) i would go cd player, amp and then speakers. its a chain and the speakers you have on your short list (i'd go cornwalls) will really show the weakest link.

again welcome and good luck.

we have all been where you are right now and believe it or not it all works out.

danny

Danny,

My music room is in my finished basement. It is 20'X15". I don't have any corners that would allow me to use K-Horns. I usually listen to my music pretty loud. I have a HSU 10" sub that I like a lot and would use it if I got a pair of La Scalas.

Believe it or not the Trends Audio 10.1 amp (about 5-10 watts...depending)... drives my Klipsch as loud as I would EVER want to listen to them and it is very clean. I was running my Marantz MA-500s as my amps with an average level Rotel pre-amp and the Trends Audio sound much better. With the Marantz, I could get high frequencies that would feel like an ice pick in my ears with my Klipsch RF-3s. With the Trends Audio, it tamed the high frequencies significantly.

Keith

Okay, you're right, you need to replace both and probably the amp as well. If this has to be done in order, keep your eye for the better deal, either a pair of LaScallas, you have the sub to go with them, or the cd player. You will never go wrong with the speakers and will have them until you no longer have the space to accommodate them due to your age. You will probably go through at least two or three cd players, so you can guess which is more important. Then again, a $500 tube cd player would have me jumping that way very quickly. As for the amplification, you can do a lot better, entry level, a Scott 299C integrated, up from there you get into at least a grand for a used Peach or Blueberry and then the amp at $1500 to $2000 in the used category. Tubes with LaScallas, very nice. Mind you when you reach this stage, you can just sit back, close your eyes and marvel at the sound.

In the interim, buy the best you can afford and even if you go slightly over budget, you will end up with a better piece of equipment that you can always sell later. An extra $200 may sound like a lot, but with better resale or kept for the next twenty years is next to nothing.

I am on my forth system and it is almost there, next year I need a tube cd player to finish the system. Mind you I am also quickly approaching fifty, so it isn't as bad as it sounds.Good luck!

Welcome to the forum Muskie,

I have to go along with Thebes on this one. I doubt the Trends will get you where you want to go.

My personal opinion is to find you a good amp and preamp, speakers next, and cdp last. Too bad you can't do all 3 at once and eleminate the decision process.

Harry

My personal opinion is to find you a good amp and preamp, speakers next, and cdp last.

I've always believed the other schools way of thinking. Start with the speakers which have the most impact on the sound IMHO. Then add your spices so to speak.

I'd vote for speakers first also. There will be a world of difference between the RF-3 (as good as they are) and La Scala's. Also note that the sensitivity of the LS is 104-105 versus 98 on the RF3. That's the equivalent of increasing the power of your amp by a factor of four on your current speakers. So in addition to the improved audio quality, you'll be getting more out of your amp.

Randy(stormin),

Ordinarily I'd agree with you but in this case with his present equipment I feel the power source is the weakest link etc. I used my thinking as replacing one component at a time.

We all go through the same thing constantly. We all have a "wish list" of what we would like to do with our systems. Never ends. Gotta love it.

Harry

I don't think the case for speakers first is that clear-cut. It depends on your sense of whether you want greater clarity and wider range, in which case it's speakers hands down, or a purer, less grainy and less irritating sound, which suggests tube amplification and CDP. And remember, better, clearer speakers are going to magnify graininess and irritation, while purer sound sources and amplification often sound good regardless of the speaker.

On the other hand, as Thebes says, tube amplification may do more along those lines than a tube CDP.

Like some responders, I probably would prefer getting good amplification and possibly a better CD player before better speakers. I'm probably spoiled, but I don't think I'd like hearing some SS that I've heard through my K-horns.

I tend to agree with Larry, it really depends on what you are trying to achieve with the single change.

If you are looking for a total change in sound, go for speakers. If you like the current sound but want smoother sound, better imaging, and details, look at your cd player.

Going up the line into heritage will reveal more about your front end and I'm not sure you will like it with your current cdp.

I also agree with Larry and Thebes, your RF-3's and sub will blow you away with better CDP and tubage is always good[:D]

If it were speakers first I would have said Cornwalls right of the bat because of your musical taste but since you have a nice sub LaScalla's would light that room up especially with supporting sub[;)]

I think an Ah! with 24/192 upsmp will give your current rig the biggest bang for the buck right now and who knows after hearing the Ah! you might just go for amplification next and then moving into large Heritage but this is just MO and it will be best to trust your own feelings and ears 4 sure! Best of luck and welcome to the forum of all forums[Y]