OT; are you quick enough to hit a 90 mph fastball?

Daddy Dee

Never played an awful lot of baseball, but what I played in HS was enough to understand the timing required to hit a "fastball" and the respect of someone who can throw a ball (with precision) at 70+ mph. It's funny to watch guys who think they can really hurl a ball do one of those fast pitch thowing booth things with a radar gun. They haul off and throw so hard it looks like their arm is coming out of its socket only to see the radar light up saying 72mph.

Some time back I got to sit in the Delta box seats at Turner Field. I was one row back from the front row slightly off to the right of home plate. They were perfect seats to witness a pitch's speed and movement. At one point a pitch comes in and is clocked at 95mph with its path being right to left catching the left corner of the plate. I looked at my friend and said, "There's no way in hell I'd stand there and let a guy throw a ball at me that fast." Watching it on TV does not do justice to just how fast that ball is traveling and its movement.

OTOH.....I have had several guys serve tennis balls at me at 100+ mph and that can be spooky too. Of course, they we trying to serve it away from me versus a pitcher seeing just how close he can get.

Tom

I couldn't hit the ball at 50 mph let alone 90 mph.Went to the eye doctor and the doctor said the only thing that could not be checked on all of the equipment was the ability of your eyes to focus on a rapidly moving object. I batted .044 in high school.

JJK

Never played an awful lot of baseball, but what I played in HS was enough to understand the timing required to hit a "fastball" and the respect of someone who can throw a ball (with precision) at 70+ mph. It's funny to watch guys who think they can really hurl a ball do one of those fast pitch thowing booth things with a radar gun. They haul off and throw so hard it looks like their arm is coming out of its socket only to see the radar light up saying 72mph.

Some time back I got to sit in the Delta box seats at Turner Field. I was one row back from the front row slightly off to the right of home plate. They were perfect seats to witness a pitch's speed and movement. At one point a pitch comes in and is clocked at 95mph with its path being right to left catching the left corner of the plate. I looked at my friend and said, "There's no way in hell I'd stand there and let a guy throw a ball at me that fast." Watching it on TV does not do justice to just how fast that ball is traveling and its movement.

OTOH.....I have had several guys serve tennis balls at me at 100+ mph and that can be spooky too. Of course, they we trying to serve it away from me versus a pitcher seeing just how close he can get.

Tom

I used to serve around 120 mph top speed.... average was 80-90

This is just to see how quickly you can react to the screen changing NOT how well you can pick up a moving baseball, calcullate its speed & direction and then decide when to swiiiiing! For that, try this one out:  

http://www.hyfntrak.com/monsterbaseball/AFF25862/go.php

The distances of the hits are IMHO a tad bit inflated but it's fun *&* addictive. My bests are 559' and 13 HRs in one round & best high score so far its 497371 in 80 levels.

For real reaction time try this:   http://www.pedregonracing.com/rt_game.asp  my best here is a .003 (not counting NUMEROUS red lights!!)

NOTE: After you stage it's a random time until the amber lights come on then it's .400 sec until the green light comes on

Have fun & Enjoy!

peace, mitch

For real reaction time try this: http://www.pedregonracing.com/rt_game.asp my best here is a .003 (not counting NUMEROUS red lights!!)
NOTE: After you stage it's a random time until the amber lights come on then it's .400 sec until the green light comes on

Have fun & Enjoy!

peace, mitch

I'm more used to a .500 tree and using my left and right foot.

I'm more used to a .500 tree and using my left and right foot.

What/where do you race?

I had a volvo 245 that I raced down at Montgomery Motorsports Park in alabama.

The 245 had Megasquirt standalone EMS, Wideband 02, rally grind cam from Sweden, giant intercooler, 3" exhaust, and a Garrett T3 all on the stock high compression NA motor.

I never got a chance to get any quick runs in as I was still sorting the car out when I was down there and I had tuned during cooler weather and my spark gap was a little too wide for the track so I ended up only being able to rev it out to about 4500 rpm instead of the 7000 I was used to.

I think the best I managed that night was a 16.5[N]

But I still managed to beat every honda that lined up against me [:P]

2006_0801SE500302.jpg

A week later somebody ran me off the road and it was totaled.

If you have ever stood in a batter's box with a good curve ball coming straight at you your reaction time hits the panic zone. I usually had to get up off the ground. The panic zone being----AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! The knuckleball is just the opposite---it paralizes you. A cartoon computer game will never ever come close to the real thing, unless it was maybe 3D HD.

JJK