Bowling Alley in Family Room

• Moderators

Our grandson received a Wii as one of his birthday gifts. We set the Wii up in our family room so it plays through our 65" television. This game console has provided endless hours of family fun. Everyone in the house has taken turns bowling, playing tennis, golfing and boxing. It is actually like having a bowling alley in your family room. You can get an upper body/cardio workout just from the boxing game on the Wii. Video games do not impress me....but this is much more than a video game.

Buddy has a Playstation 2, Nintendo Game Cube and an XBox 360....none of those even come close to the Wii. One advantage to the Wii....Game Cube games will work on the Wii, as well games that have been developed for the Wii.

I was wondering if any of you have purchased, played or seen the Wii in action?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

or you could just go outside? [:^)]

I guarantee you the boxing game on the Wii will give you more upper body exercise than lawn work!!! Not that I am opposed to "going outside" to play.

We picked up the Wii on Thursday.....and have spent more time together as a family (meaning all nine people in the house) than we usually do in a month. That is a good thing....not to mention the excercise.

The games we are playing are not games you sit on your behind to play.....you actually have to move around to make them work. I would imagine college kids love this game console and yes it can get intense.....although most of the time we are laughing hysterically at ourselves.

I would love some input on other games for the Wii that can involve the whole family....any ideas?????

• Moderators

Steve,

The grafics included in the Wii (bowling, boxing etc) are pretty goofy, but the controller is THE THING that makes this game different from others....you actually have to use some muscles to make the most of the games.

Buddy also has (Wii) Call of Duty 3, (which I know is for more mature gamers), but he knows right from wrong (as far as cursing, etc) and he has actually learned alot from the game in the way of history, etc. I know....I know....you guys may think we are crazy for letting him play Call of Duty 3, but those of you that have met him know he has not been adversely affected. He has been playing Call of Duty 2 on the XBox for almost a year now.....

He also has (Wii) Airbender....are any of you familiar with that game?

Cristy,

I have only played it once the other night and we only played the games that came with it. I am not up on any of the gamming stuff. The only game I own it Flight Sim, and its really not a game IMO.

I did not know what other games you could get for it. So how do the shooter games work with the controllers? Do you still have to move the controller around or just use the joystick?

Steve

• Moderators

Steve,

With Airbender( which isn't really shooting) and Call of Duty you use the controllers but you do not move around. The "moving around" part is kind of what has gotten the whole family involved. The "moving around" games are the ones we really want to get...I was kind of hoping some of the folks on the forum might be familiar with some of the games. A couple of the family members actually had some sore muscles the next day after bowling, boxing, etc.

Some of the members of the family get very little exercise and they seem to love the "moving around" games. The exercise is definitely a plus, but the quality time we are spending together is just as important. Usually everyone comes home, goes to their rooms, eats dinner and go back to their rooms, other than the once a week watching a moving together "thing". With the Wii, everyone is spending more time together and getting off their behinds while they are playing.

Like you, I am not "up" on the gaming stuff, even though Buddy has enough electronics to supply a gaming store!! But the Wii seems to be a lot different than most "gaming stuff".

Amazing now anyone can have a bowling alley just like the white house used to. My in-laws building in Honolulu is right next door to what used to be a neighborhood bowling alley. It was a classic 50's 60's style with Hawaiian diorama/mural scenes all around the walls. Too bad it went the way of the drive-in theater a few years back.

Unless you live in the desert southwest as I do.[:D]

Whatever ,

I spent 2 summers in Phx. Az and they were much easier to deal with than the summers here !

Heck , at the time I was driving my old 66 Charger with no AC and I was fine .

It's not as classy as D'Tel's family room, but you could also take a cruise on this ship: First ever bowling alley on a cruise ship!

Hey Colter: When's the Klipsch Pilgrimage "Bowling at Sea Tourney?" Isn't organizing and hosting one part of your job description now?

HUH, I think Trey's handing over the Pilgrimage duties to me next year

btw, is my monitor off that much or where did you get a BLUE Klipsch ball cap?

• Moderators

It's not as classy as D'Tel's family room, but you could also take a cruise on this ship: First ever bowling alley on a cruise ship!

Hey Colter: When's the Klipsch Pilgrimage "Bowling at Sea Tourney?" Isn't organizing and hosting one part of your job description now?

Classy NO, full of Klipsch YES, sound good YES, Comfortable YES, my monitor also makes that hat look blue.

Unless you live in the desert southwest as I do.[:D]

Whatever ,

I spent 2 summers in Phx. Az and they were much easier to deal with than the summers here !

Heck , at the time I was driving my old 66 Charger with no AC and I was fine .

When it gets over 110, I don't care where I'm at, it's f'n hot .

• Moderators

Hello troyphoto and welcome to the Forum. I have heard a lot about you.....all good. And yes the hat does look blue on our monitor.

BTW, I announced on the Forum a while back that we had booked a cruise in April 2008 and we had a block of rooms.....7 days to the western Carribean..no bowling alley, but it's aboard Carnival Cruise Lines leaving from Galveston! Anyone is welcome to go...PM me and I will give anyone interested the details. A couple of Forum members had expressed an interest in going...any others.....

Today is Buddy's birthday party.....he turned seven on July 26......