Listening Levels

ClaudeJ1

I know that most Klipsch listeners have been known as "DB freaks" at one time or another, myself included.

However, I feel that we should follow the advice of PWK about protecting our hearing for the long haul and to listen at levels that are more "realistic" to real music, with perhaps a real symphony as reference or a smal club Jazz ensemble.

According to OSHA, we can toloerate 90 db levels in a factory for an 8-hour shift without permanent hearing loss. 93 db for 4 hours, 96 db for 2 hrs, and so on. I'm not sure that these numbers are conservative enough.

The people that set up the standards for 5.1 specificatons feel that, for the home, 85 db should be a "normal" listening level, with the system allowing for 105 db peaks at all requencies without distortion.

Since even the Klipsch computer speakers can meet this criteria, how many of you monitor your listening levels with a Radio Shack sound meter?

I do it and find that from around 85 to 88 db level at my listning postition gives me satisfying results. If you guys measure, what is the average listening level for YOU?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know that most Klipsch listeners have been known as "DB freaks" at one time or another, myself included.

However, I feel that we should follow the advice of PWK about protecting our hearing for the long haul and to listen at levels that are more "realistic" to real music, with perhaps a real symphony as reference or a smal club Jazz ensemble.

According to OSHA, we can toloerate 90 db levels in a factory for an 8-hour shift without permanent hearing loss. 93 db for 4 hours, 96 db for 2 hrs, and so on. I'm not sure that these numbers are conservative enough.

The people that set up the standards for 5.1 specificatons feel that, for the home, 85 db should be a "normal" listening level, with the system allowing for 105 db peaks at all requencies without distortion.

Since even the Klipsch computer speakers can meet this criteria, how many of you monitor your listening levels with a Radio Shack sound meter?

I do it and find that from around 85 to 88 db level at my listning postition gives me satisfying results. If you guys measure, what is the average listening level for YOU?

I agree. It is important to monitor SPL's.[;)]

post-13095-13819339764352_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

We average around 75 db or a little less, but when we have it loud it's 90 to 100db's just checked it !

To me it has to be around 75 or 80 to start to sound right..

Like Van Morrison says " Turn it up till it has soul ".

PWK was all about low distortion in speakers; the high efficiency raises the bar, but louder is dirtier. I agree that listening to levels of reproduction louder than the actual performance is questionable. In fact it does raise the question of how loud that is... the peak levels measured by the usual SPL are about 14dB lower than actual peaks due to the summing integration period for the circuit.

I normally listen at 80 db if my wife is listening with me and ~90 db when I am alone (C weighted/slow). If we have "head banger's" over we will go much louder but not for long periods of time.

Have you ever had a bunch of guys over and they didn't want to see how loud it would go?

PWK was all about low distortion in speakers; the high efficiency raises the bar, but louder is dirtier. I agree that listening to levels of reproduction louder than the actual performance is questionable. In fact it does raise the question of how loud that is... the peak levels measured by the usual SPL are about 14dB lower than actual peaks due to the summing integration period for the circuit.

............ but louder is dirtier.............

Wouldn't that depend on what equipment is reproducing the sound? IE: $200.00 boom box at 100db as to $20,000.00 horn loaded system at 100db.

...........listening to levels of reproduction louder than the actual performance is questionable...........

I very much agree. But listening to levels of reproduction less than actual performance SPL's is not the quest.

Correct me if wrong, but I thought that the goal in home audio was to reproduce the sound of a live performance.(?) Be it 60db or 116db, Bach or Beck.

With all due respect, just me,

tc

I don't listen nearly as loudly as I used to, that's for sure. After you first start experiencing some hearing "issues", only a fool would keep banging away. At least, if you value your music and the ability to enjoy it. I rarely hit peaks over 95dB, even when I'm the only one in the house. And when the wife and pups are at home, it usually stays in the 85-90dB range, tops.

I really don't listen very loud most of the time..........Yeah, every now and then you gotta' let it rip, but most of the time, loud enough so it sounds good without drowning out the tv upstairs........I tend to crank it up on DVD's more than CD's..........Too Loud ,Too Long, hurts after awhile, and that's not what I'm looking for.............

I've spoken to young acquaintances at loud concerts and had them tell me. "I don't need hearing protection. I go to a lot of concerts and my ears are used to it." They'd better get used to lip reading, with that attitude.

My ears mean a lot to me, so I always carry earplugs in case the music is really loud and I'm not embarrassed to put them in.

Well, some bands play really good music, but they play it really loud. If you get stuck near the speakers, you should protect your hearing. In an arena situation, the music will be pretty loud in some places and really loud in others.

As well, most people go through a phase where they like the music to hit them in the chest. They like roller coasters, too. Eventually, they find that entertainment doesn't have to be extreme to be good. Hopefull, they still have some hearing left by then.

I have found that as my system's synergy has improved over the years, the lower my average loudness when listening. These days I will listen at 70 -75 dB for most music. I still rock out when I am in the mood, and will listen then at 90+ dB, but usually only for 10 -15 minutes.

Part of the synergy I mentioned has to do with good integration of my passive sub with my Chorus speakers. This has taken a few years of tweaking and the addition of some new equipment for bass management. The end result is good bass impact at lower volumes. In the past, it seems the main reason I turned the loudness higher was to get more chest impact from the bass.