What happens to your gear if something happens to you?

HarryO

Speakerfritz and I were just echattin' about our audio gear and the subject came up about what would happen to our gear if something happened to us. Would our families know what to do with it? Would they sell it? Would they get the worth of our prized possessions?

Granted, I've got a will to divide my personal gear between my kids but if they decide to sell it I would hope they would get what it's worth. I'm insured on most of my gear but I've got a lot of "inventory" worth 10s of thousands of dollars minimum. I'm not so sure they would know what to do with it all. I'd hate to see it trashed or garage sale'd.

It's got me thinking about better ways to assure my familys' well being after I'm not able to. I'd like to see my hard work mean something.

Any ideas what you will do under similar circumstances?

Harry

I have a book with pictures, sample ebay and audiogon listings.

My kids are into IPODs and won't be hanging on to any large rigs.

If I'm lucky, I'll have some time and not have to leave this chore behing.

Hell - why waste money on a "pine box" when you could just be burried inside your Klipschorns?? Have your body creamated, then split your ashes between the two cabinets and then put the cabinets in the ground. Shoot, in my will I have instructions for my ashes to be placed in the gas tank of whatever is my current motorcycle and then the motorcycle is to be burried.

I say take it with you.

Tom

I have an agreement with a forum friend that if anything happens to either of us, we'll take care of each other's gear and LPs. In my case, my LPs are worth way more than my gear. They're also much more time consuming to sell. I've tried to explain my collection to my son but he just rolls his eyes and tells me this is the umpteenth time I've mentioned it. He just doesn't get it or he isn't really interested. I'm not sure which.

I highly recommend working something out with someone who not only knows what your stuff is worth, but how and where to sell it. Just make sure it's someone you trust completely, preferably someone without financial problems.

• Moderators

If I die before I get to Mississippi to pick up a certain pair of Forte II's, the Dtels get them...

Feeling ok Oldtimer ? [+o(]

If something would happen to you we would make sure your wife got them, or the $.

You really need to get your new room to hear all of them together before you become room temperature !

• Moderators

To tell the truth I don't think she would sell it .

My luck I will be a vegetable but can still hear, and have to listen to my kids rap crap till I die !

There is no way I would sell it.....and they will listen to that rap crap on my system after I'm dead and gone....not one minute before.

Now after we are both gone....the son-in-laws will be fighting over it.