Any newer model with Heresy sound?

jpmgumdoc

I recently bought two sets of Heresy 1 to use as rears and center paired with my vintage Cornwalls (one of those Heresy 1 will make it's way to ebay as a single as soon as I have refinished it properly). When my 15 year old son heard the Heresys he immediately wanted a set for himself (smart boy!). We've been watching ebay and even sets in poor condition that need major refinishing are selling around $350 and nice sets over $450 which is a little steep for his budget. I have no familiarity with any of the Klipsh speakers made after the originals other than to have a quick listen if I happened to be in a stereo store. None seemed to have that great Heresy sound of deep bass and awesome midrange. Any suggestions for a Klipsh speaker my son might get for a little less money and still capture most of the Heresy sound?

Thanks, John

Can't help you with that but depending on where you are there is a beater set of heresies on Dallas craigslist for 150. Edit: They were there yesterday, gone today, sorry. It is proof that beater sets can be found pretty cheaply but you have to look and they often go fast.

If the newer speakers sounded like they didn't have as much bass as the

Heresy, then they probably weren't setup correctly in the store. Just

about all of the newer speakers have more extended lows. I agree that

the Heritage has better mids, but you might argue that the high

frequencies are also better on the new stuff (phase plug and horn

design has come a long way).

I very much prefer the sound of Heritage, but if funds are really tight

you might give some of the new stuff another try to see if it doesn't

sound better at home. Though I can't think of anything new that might keep up with the Heresy for under $300...

I've also always felt that a speaker purchase should be a long term decision. Every little bit more you can spend on speakers will always benefit you in the long run. A good choice could easily last 30-40 years. With that in mind, I might encourage your son to find a few extra side jobs so that he can save up and purchase something of real value. A while back I wanted to purchase a laptop and was able to earn enough money doing side jobs for relatives...it worked out well cuz I got to visit everyone too. There's nothing more satisfying than having to work a bit to get something much nicer.

Anyways, just thinking out loud. I totally dig the idea of the new Heresy3 and passing down the old ones too.

• Moderators

jpm,

Welcome to the forum....it is hard to beat a pair of Heresies...one of my favorite speakers. However, a little more information would be helpful.

Is this set up for you son for his bedroom or his house??? Is he looking for a 2 channel up...or surround set up......does he want something he can build on??? In what size room will these speakers be placed? There are lots of options out there in the Klipsch line-up depending on what he his looking to achieve.

If you can give us a little more info...some folks on the forum may be able to offer a few more suggestions.

• Moderators

Unless he comes across a really good deal, Fortes or Forte IIs might be a little over his budget....unless he saves a little more money. Although, Fortes and Forte IIs are excellent speakers and would be worth saving for a little while longer.

Hey everybody, thanks for the input. These speakers will be in his room now and I assume will go off to college with him in two years. Seems most would recommend waiting for a cheaper set of Heresys or saving up a little more money for a nice set. Foretes come up often but are usually more than Heresys. Any opinions on Quartets? They get great reviews on many sites but not much mention here. I've never heard them.

John

I'd be watching craigslist (www.craiglslist.org) and the newspaper classifieds as well as ebay for Heresys; I think his budget is a little on the low side, especially for ebay. Quartets are a great option but they usually sell for more than Heresys, at least as far as I've seen.

I have found 3 pair of Heresys for under $200 at garage sales, but it could take quite awhile to stumble onto a pair.

I would say, generally, no. You're almost asking for a source of dimes which sell for nine cents.

Heresy are a lot of bang for the buck.

I'll point out the obvious. The cost of any speaker purchase includes cost of shipping (or driving to pick it up) and the uncertainty that what you buy is indeed fully functional, which you check for. Those factors can chew up $100 very quickly.

Therefore, if you're bargain hunting, it must be a local and requires some patience and trolling. Otherwise, bargains become dogs.

I am a Quartet owner and like them very much. Dare I say, the ultimate Heresy. As long as the lad is not looking for an exact match for an H I, they are gold.

Gil