FLUNKED MY HEARING TEST

BigStewMan

i mentioned to my doctor that i was having to turn things up louder and having more difficulty hearing what people are saying. she does a hearing test and says "you didn't do very well at all." she sends me to an ENT and he does a couple more test--which i also fail. as he said, my hearing was not in the "serviceable range." ok, so i'm thinking a hearing aid--no big deal. the doctor says that i have to get a CAT scan of my head to "see if something is there." he didn't say tumor, but i know that is one of the things they'll look for. he did say that he wanted to see if there was any bone calcification. apparently, there is something interferring with the vibrations. i asked my wife if this is what she was praying for, so i wouldn't buy those la scalas that i've wanted so bad. klipsch speakers LOOK nice; but i don't think i'd get the same enjoyment if i could only look at them. still hoping this is just too loud of music for too long a time.

• Klipsch Employees

They tested mine and tell me I have hearing problems as well. I still can tell levels and can pick out the same things that the guys that "can hear".

I don't agree with most of the hearing test given. I want to do some test of my own in the chamber...

I don't agree with most of the hearing test given. I want to do some test of my own in the chamber...

i'll be a guinea pig for those tests. i'm not overly worried; just the occasional "what if" thoughts. i know that i definately have hearing loss--it's the why that is causing the concern. in june, i saw roger waters at the hollywood bowl. i remember telling myself that i didn't think it was as loud as his concert the previous year. i asked one of the people that went with me and they looked at me funny as said that the concert was very loud.

If you had a tumor bad enough to cause that problem you'd have all kinds of other problems too. You might find out it's treatable and get some of your hearng back. Everything isn't always bad news.:)

Well you really don't need a big tumor at all. If it's positioned correctly where the auditory nerve synapses in the temporal lobe then it's problematic, but not hard to remove. If it was large you'd have tons of other symptoms as well usually. Although this information is a bit miss leading, people have had 2 inch diameter metal poles driven through their heads and lived perfectly normal lives.

Even though the above is possible, it's 99% not that case where ear damage or calcification of the ossicles or something else is more likely. There's millions of things that can go wrong, but guessing and worrying when it's probably nothing won't do you any good. I'm sure you just kept the volume a bit louder than you should have.

When I was younger, I used to develop heavy wax build-up, and they would drain the wax out using a high pressure technique of some sort. Just trying to point out that hearing is a very sensitive, delicate area that can be restricted by almost anything that will diminish your hearing.

1 day at a time, and HOPE for the best.

They tested mine and tell me I have hearing problems as well. I still can tell levels and can pick out the same things that the guys that "can hear".

I would have never have guessed that based on some of the things you can hear... [:o]

Not that I would ever want to rely on it, I think it's amazing how our brain is able to compensate for the shortcomings of our body.