Acoustic Guitar Tracks

alliclaytor

Check out Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Duo formerly in a heavy metal band together. They cover Stairway to Heaven and Metallica's Orion.

Otherwise very latin sounding. They are somehow able to produce a nice amount of percussion with guitars only. Their most recent CD also includes a DVD. You have to see these guys to appreciate them.

Some of these guys i have never heard of in my long life but hopefully we can educate us young whiper snappers on who taught the guys that are on the radio...like who is eric clapton? j/k but really i hadn't heard of john renbourn. Maybe next we can get a blues thread going. I checked out most of the suggestions (not exhaustively though)...I have some Renbourn, Menthey, and more Clapton on the way.

My recommendations would be gypsy fire on the Narada World label . I get lots of oohs and ahhhs when listening with friends and playing this CD. Shows off the system as well.

Gypsy Fire

This next one, I use to have in my alarm clock to wake up by. Also on the Narada label.

Obsession: New Flamenco Romance

Obsession: New Flamenco Romance

Enjoy!

Michael, did you see Robert Plant will be releasing a new album, collaborating with a quite unexpected artist?

So much for Eastern influences, should be quite a duo! Takes me back to LZIII with it's admitted country flair. What else would you get recording on a broken down cottage on a sheep farm in South Snowdonia?

For a fairy new artist, check out youtube and look for Andy McKee, or use this link:

He has one album out. The guy is simply amazing. Listen on something good. He also has tracks on a harp guitar. I think his regular acoustic is either a Lowden or an Avalon. If you don't like his music, I would really be surprised.

Bruce

I'll 2nd Leo Kottke's "6- and 12- String Guitar." and add:

Django Reinhardt, Peche à la Mouche: The Great Blue Star Sessions, Not the best recording quality but his playing transcends the technology.

The Doc Watson recording "Down South" (sugar hill)  because i was 2nd  engineer  (seriously!) recorded on an Ampex 8 track w/Dolby and mastered on a (digital) sony F1 processor/Betamax in 1984! To my knowledge, the very first (if crude) digital master in the South? Country? Great mics and classic recording technique. Doc always said it sounded more like his guitar than any other recording. Bright, but his guitar WAS bright, and the room was wood & stone.

Alison Krause & Union Station "Every Time You Say Goodbye" is just awesome.

Jeffrey Foucault "Ghost Repeater" is a very intimate mostly acoustic record 

i always thought the acoustic guitar on JC melloncamp's recordings was really well done- and this is judging from the radio over the years as i do not have anything by him - but the acoustic guitar always jumps out at me when i hear his stuff. 

I thought you wanted recommendations of recordings with just an acoustic guitar (no vocals, bass, percussion, etc). If you want recommendations where the acoustic guitar is the predominant instrument then I can give you a few of those as well.

The 2 Michael Hedges CD's I suggested are just of him playing an acoustic guitar (although at times he sounds like he's playing a couple of them).

Mike

SaraK and Cris Jones - Live - "are we there yet"

Stockfish records

There are vocals aswell on this record, but the sound quality and recording Gunter Pauler has done here, are something way out of the ordinary.

It has been written that the Stockfish records are the best and cheapest upgrade you can make to your system. After hearing one, I think you will agree!

Tommy Emmanuel and Jim Nichols, two acoustic flatpickers at the top of their game, recorded 'Chet Lag' a while back, and it went out of print and was nearly impossible to find.

It's been reissued as 'Happy Hour'.

If you don't tap your toes listening to this, you ain't got no toes.

woo