How loud can your system go?

kenratboy

did that right after i posted boa, thanks! btw, got my 1st 'friendly' call from a backyard neighbor, says he hears a pounding sound coming from the house starting around 7 or 8 pm going 'till God knows when...i'll have to chat w/him about it so we can both enjoy our homes. i don't think it was from the rsw-15, i think that just pushed him to finally make the call. we're doing renovations, maybe i'll blame it on a jackhammer Wink.gif avman. p.s.:i'll eventually post my equipment on a single link, colin has been 'encouraging' me to do so,he must have a slow internet connection Smile.gif

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

That rockford fosgate "van" you speak of is actually a blazer. And the Cerwin Vegas they are using are "Strokers." Phase 2 of the system. He "used" to have RF subs. These Cerwin subs have dual spiders on them, one under the cone as usuall, and one instead of a dust cap. There is also a guide poll that is an extention of the magnet that sticks out were the dust cap would be. This is all used to control the cone at these insane volumes. Each can handle 1600watts RMS 4800 max. And they are surprisingly clean.

And as far as listening to these systems at that level is rare. Since market SPL meters usually don't reach these high SPL levels, Professional meters are used at sound offs. During these evens nobody is allowed inside the car. And usually listening to these systems while driving would be incredibly studpid, because no aftermarket alternator can supply power to the batteries for that long. I believe when the RF Blazer broke 190, it had to be hauled away because it would not start.

I do enjoy incredible bass in my car. But by no means is my car muddy, or a poor reproduction of music. Tell that to: 3 8inch mid bass drivers under each seat, 2 6.5 midrange drivers, 1 5.25 high midrange drivers, and 2 1inch tweets in each door. Oh yes and 1 "Sound Dynamics" horn, yes "horn" under each side of the dashboard. Although I would agree that most bass rides you hear are the cheap bandpass sub boxes with the factory mid and highs.

Sorry for turing this into a Car audio string for a post or two.

What is clean bass in that sort of application?

In SPL contests.

Clean SPL?

Clean music reproduction?

He booms clean?

Systems in rigs like that are impressive, but also pointless.

What's the point in have a rig that does 190Db SPL, just to think your special, win some trophys, maybe break a record, Yay.

There isn't any money in those sound-off contests, the last time I checked.

That Blazer is nothing but propaganda to get people to buy Rockford Fosgate products, all SPL, no music reproduction in mind.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! WOOFAS AND WHEELZ!

THANX!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-05-2002 at 01:36 AM

"And as far as listening to these systems at that level is rare."

Rare?! Who can stand anything above 130dB? NOBODY

And when you say its rare to listen at that level(what level over 190dB)its BS.You will lose all hearing and suffer massive internal damage at over 190dB.

If I close you in this car(WOOFA on WHEELS) and force you to "listen" at over 195dB you will not wlak away alive.I guarantee this to you.When solid car windows have to be reinforced,fragile human parts will do SPLAT.

"During these evens nobody is allowed inside the car."

DUH

Who can stand over 195dB NOBODY ON THIS PLANET,even youngsters bred on rap.

I would put Oasma in this car and let the system rip...rupture his eardrums and turn his insides into a sludge.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I work at a AFB, I hear loud aircraft all the time.

I think even if you were right behind these aircraft you still wouldn't get over 140 decibels(If you could stand it).

But they won't let some average schmuck on the flight line to find out.

And these guys around the aircraft wear noise-cancelling headgear.

I was behind two F15's or Hornets or something, at about 150 yards, when they decided to to take off together with the backburners wide open.

I wasn't wearing earplugs, not a nice experience.

I was using a line trimmer that is about 85-95Db's.

It was completely drowned out in the noise.

I'm guessing it was around 120-130 decibels?

The only thing your brain thinks at these SPL's, is to get away!

Rarely listen to 190 decibels, I would geuss so,

you'll only do it once.

THANX!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-05-2002 at 03:17 PM

Yes, the point of these systems is to say "hey I can hit 160 or 180 or whatever and win some trophies doing it. And you are sadly mistaken when you say there is no money involved. To enter a contest it costs money... I don't know of too many that would drive to a show and push their systems to the max without some reward. Many competitors are paid and endorsed by large companies to enter in these sound offs. ANd it's a pretty damn good marketing campain by them. Cerwin Vega is known for breaking SPL records. If someone wants low bass, they're probably going to look at Cerwin if they know anything about the industry.

Also if you weren't so close-minded maybe you would also see that these shows not only do SPL but also sound quality.

It's competition!!!!! Bragging rights!!!!!! 190db is about one person being louder than the next.

Make your system sound the best to "YOUR" ears. A lot of young teens like rap music, and most rap music has a lot of bass. Thats what a lot of teens ears like. I thought TheEar could understand that. No, I'm not talking about "listneing" at 190db, but your so called WOOFAZ ON WHEELZ. If thats what you like then do it. Those who get into that type of stuff would probably thrash your ideas on "sound reproduction." They could say "if you wanted to hear it how it really sounds, go sit and listen to an orchestra with parents." Meanwhile they will have fun doing what they enjoy. "Thanx"

Just defending my opinion.

I enjoy every possible type of music out there. If it has some sort of rythm or melody then I am there. I love some rap music (yes "MUSIC"), I even enjoy a little Britney every now and again. Everything from classical, rap, country, punk, blues, jazz, big band, alternative, pop, 60's, 70's, 80's, and all in between. And I believe they are ALL music. Some rap does sound like crap, but so does some blues, and some alternative. Every genre of music is gonna have some songs that sound like Sh**.

If it's got a beat it's music, if it's music I love it.

------------------

Heresy II (Oak Oil)

ZSeries Hotwired

Lovan Ballet III stands

KLF-C7 (Med Oak)

KSW15

That is very true.

I'm just old headbanger, lots of lousy metal bands.

But if we all listened to the same genre of music, the world would be a boring place.

I try to be opened minded with the new stuff.

At least we enjoy music, some folks don't even listen to anything.

And we enjoy Klipsch too!

Very rough rule of thumb: Assume your sound source is putting out maximum voltage without overdriving the amplifier, which is cranked to deliver its maximum rated power. Multiply the rated power of your amplifier by the acoustic efficiency of your speakers to get the maximum possible acoustic power generated thereby. Convert this power to dB, reference 1 picowatt. If your room is totally reverberant, (maybe it is...the dimensions sound more like a gym than a room in a house), then subtract 10 dB from the number you got from the watts-to-dB conversion. This will be roughly the maximum sound pressure level you could realize in that measurement environment. Of course, if the room is not very reverberant, then you have to subtract more than 10 dB.cwm34.gif

hey guys I have both radio shack spl meters the digital and analog and can achieve spl here in my living room of live concerts and have measured well over 110 spl while playin music here...i have taken my meters to nightclubs to test spl from various distances because my brother in laws are both in bands... reaL live concerts usually get about 100 to 110 db with peaks of up to 120 is what i have measured in past...the c weighting is the best to use for measuring music on the radio shack meters...they are pretty accurate too.....wanna hear something funny? when we go to a concert my wife doesnt complain usually about the loudness of the music but at home where i can duplicate concert levels she sometimes says to me wow thats too loud!!...lol go figure..lol..i guess its psychological thing because when you are home it just seems too loud but its no louder than being at a real live concert hall...in fact I have to tell you guys sometimes it sounds better at home than going to a real concert because its cleaner and crisper and some of the dvds i have really make it so real its incredible!!

------------------

MY GEAR:

YAMAHA RXV795a RCVR

PARASOUND HCA-1500 driving the front speakers

KLIPSCH RF-3

KLIPSCH SC-1 CENTER CH SPEAKER

BOSTON ACOUSTIC REAR CHANNEL SPEAKERS

MIRAGE SS-1500 DIGITAL SUBWOOFER

SONY DVP-NS500 COMBO SACD/DVD PLAYER

PANASONIC VHS HIFI VCR

SONY MXD-D3 MINIDISC/CD RECORDER PLAYER

RCN DIGITAL CABLE TV

gotta rat shack spl meter-quite revealing! had to raise both center and rear speaker levels. 95-105 average,110-120 really pushin'it!,but still sounding good.at 105 average in my house, was getting 75-85 outside!(average factory Smile.gif )time for some insulation!avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

• 9 months later...

According to my calculations, at the listening position, I should be able to get about 126db out it, max, before the amps move beyond their published ratings. I've never had it that loud. I've had it up to sustained average 110db levels for things like Jimi Hendrix. I swear, you can go outside & put your hand on the patio 20' away from the house & feel the vibration.

Klipschorns right & left

Belle Klipsch center

Luxman MB3045 triode monoblocks (50watts)

27x18 room custom built & acoustically tuned for the K-horns

sidenote: I have a copy of an old press release from Memorex. Remember those old Ella Fitzgerald commercials for Memorex tape where she hits this final high note & the wine glass shatters? Turns out that Ms. Fitzgerald's voice was amplified thru Klipsch LaScalas with enough peak power to produce "an incredibly loud 146 decibles". They went on warning not to attempt anything like this on your own as "this will not only shatter glass, but will destroy ear drums and, even damage other organs in the human body". LMFAO

Car Stereo SUCKS

The little green EAR is correct, 130db is the threshold of pain. I've recorded levels this high and even though the distortion level is low, the highs are a killer. Makes the mice leave the attic.

one must keep in mind that i'm running 6 horns and 6 tweeters in a 20x18 room.380wpc across the front (double headsetted k-horns) and 200wpc across the rear (lascala's). These listening levels can olny be sastained for a short period of time without total discomfort. unless your drunk or something.

you want to experiance pain try listening to EDGER WINTERS FRANKENSTINE at these levels, you'll know what i mean.

This weekend I got a little alone time so i was cranking up the system and decided to turn the meter on. I was peaking the rat shack meter set on the 120db position with averages around 117db. It was a little lound but still sounded good. I was listening to some blues and there was a snare drum that hit every third beat. Every time it would hit the meter would just peg. That is the power of the lascalas and there impressive mids, so tight. The Lascalas are more sensitive than the Khorns, at least at high volumes. I checked them against each other without adjusting volume and I was getting higher spl's out of the lascala's by about 4 db. I love the mid range/mid-bass from the lascala's.

EJ

• 5 months later...

I'm probably capable of the SPL's that Dale can reach, the front 3 speakers are powered off a DBX BX-1 Reference Amplifier which supplies 400W to the center La Scala and 125W to each of the Khorns. A DBX BX-3MkII supplies 125W X 4 to the rear La Scala's and Heresy II's. While the Denon AVR-4800 runs only the KG-1's. A third DBX BX-2 power amp feeds the DBX DVC sub 250W per coil. So it can play REAL loud! It can maintain those levels as well as long as your ears can take it.