OK, Corvette guys (Oldbuckster, too)... I'm back for mo' guidance

RFP

You Corvette guys are killin' me! Or, maybe these are self-inflected wounds... hard to tell.

Well, today, Linda and I looked at some C5 Corvettes... two of which really were interesting to me. But, they are so different that I'm having trouble trying to decide which I might prefer... if either.

Car 1 - 2000 coupe (not a ZO6 but a "fixed roof coupe"... same shape as the ZO6). 6-speed, nicely equipped with 32,000 honest-to-gosh original miles. The car is flawless! The chart sez that there were only 2090 of these cars made... it may be likely that they have stopped depreciating and - because of condition and relative 'rarity - may actually start going the other way. By the way, it has an aftermarket Borla or Mangaflow exhaust that really lets the 350/350 sound its best.

<< sigh >>

Car 2 - 2001 covertible. Also 6-speed with under 16,000 miles. Completely stock and also absolutely flawless. Oh yes... it's RED!

Car 1 is some $4,500 less than Car 2.

At the ripe old age of 68, this will probably be my last toy car (I sure hope so!), so I would like to make the best buy (if I buy anything at all) that I could financially... I would be happy to own either one.

What say ye, Corvette wise ones?

Rob

The 2000 FRC (Fixed Roof Coupe) is the last of the "lightweight" cars originally conceived to be price leader possibly with a 327 or thereabouts engine...it never happened but held the "racer" banner until the Z06 could arrive in 2001. 2000 Corvettes had "only 345hp"...the FRC is lighter than a coupe or 'vert but this one should have all the goodies...even HUD etc...and only came with the 6 speed...I wouldn't count on any C5 appreciating much in the next decade or so BUT it will be a very nice and dependable driver...the convertable will have a bit more horsepower BUT will be heavier because of the convertable...it has less miles and convertables always seem to hold their value more...4.5K is not much because of the 'vert and fewer miles, it seems to be the "value" car...the FRC has a nice following and may be a tick quicker...it certainly is stiffer however, the C5 was designed from the begininng to be a convertable so the stiffness of the chassis (sandwiched balsa wood!) is King...also the "rarity" of the FRCs is some cool factor but only those in the know will catch it...

Get the one you like better...I have a coupe with both tops but have never driven my '01 with the top off...mine is over 6 years old and has given me zero problems, gets about 18mpg when driven like a car and screams when driven like a Corvette!

Bill

After spending my first summer with a convertible I would strongly suggest going that route. There's nothing quite like the feel of the open air when you're cruising a back road or even just tooling around town. And like silversport said, the C5 was designed as a convertible from the get-go and is one of the best built if not the best built convertible as far as structural stiffness goes.

I've been trying to stay off the Forum, but must answer this post. I'm not a big convertible fan, the sun beating down when your in traffic is hot, and really fades the interior. I would tend to lean towards the Coupe, I'm sure it has air conditioning, but on the other hand, the mileage on the 01 is very low, and if you don't have anything against a convertible, dollar for dollar the 01 looks to be the better long term purchase. I'm sure which ever you decide on, you will be more than happy, and will never look at an old Corvette the same way again...............My Money, the Coupe.....Your money, the.............

If you purchase the convertible what is left of your hair will get as stiff as a wire brush, and because you are old if you pass your fingers through this hair you will scratch the skin on your hands, become infected with "C dif" and only own the car for a little while before your kids drive it and trash it.

JJK

Nothing to do with the current discussion (except that it is about a Corvette), but I thought some might like to see a picture I took today of a 58 Corvette.  Notice the custom trailer hitch and the towing mirrors.

Bob

post-9312-13819344696318_thumb.jpg

After more thought................the 01 Convertible would be the better buy, and a bit more comfortable to ride in when the wife is with you, half the mileage...............Have you driven them yet?...............You only go around once, but I think you already know that........Good Luck with your choice !!!!

RFP: Rob, I used to own a 1968 T-Top Coupe and I was a mid-year judge with NCRS years ago. Alot of what you must decide upon depends on how much of a Corvette "purist" you consider yourself. It's okay not to be a purist when it comes to the cars you drive, own and collect, but in the Corvette-game, "resale value" is something that should usually be considered up front when selecting a car to invest in if you consider the investment to be serious.

Although, a "Z06" will get my blood rushing at mere mention of the word, the one you have described here made me jam on the breaks in a real hurry; The original exhaust is gone! From a collector's standpoint, that might be a huge demerit in my resale book. Secondly, if you look back at the resale trend Corvettes have left historically, when considering cars old enough to begin escalating in value as you mention in your thread, typically it is convertibles that bring the higher resale dollar. Granted, there are inherant differences in the two types that can make a coup more desireable such as lower weight, better mileage and stronger cross-car stability. However, if I may be so bold as to say so; few Corvette owners concern themselves with the fuel economy of their prized sportscars. Lastly, the convertible you mention has half the mileage of the coupe. That's a pretty big deal, to me.

Should you not consider yourself a Corvette "purist" which again is fine, then most of what I've mentioned here is probably usless to you and either car may do for you.

Best of luck and happy shopping and don't forget to have fun! -Glenn

If you purchase the convertible what is left of your hair will get as stiff as a wire brush, and because you are old if you pass your fingers through this hair you will scratch the skin on your hands, become infected with "C dif" and only own the car for a little while before your kids drive it and trash it.

JJK

OK, JJK, you talked me into it! The 'vert it is !!! [:D]

After more thought................the 01 Convertible would be the better buy, and a bit more comfortable to ride in when the wife is with you, half the mileage...............Have you driven them yet?...............You only go around once, but I think you already know that........Good Luck with your choice !!!!

Dang, OB.... you still thinking about this too? You're my kinda guy!

After all the good "advice" that I've received (from a couple of different forums and otherwise), I'm afraid that if I bought a coupe, I'd always (secretely or otherwise) wish I had the convertible. Heck, it would be a "weekend wonder", a "garage queen" , a whatever you want to call this kind of foolishness.

Linda's car is a convertible, and we both love it... and then there's always the Land Cruiser if I need to stay "high & dry".

But, maybe you should just sell me your Porsche!

Have a great Sunday (and I really appreciate your thoughts on this)

Rob

Posted Image

Posted Image

RFP: Rob, I used to own a 1968 T-Top Coupe and I was a mid-year judge with NCRS years ago. Alot of what you must decide upon depends on how much of a Corvette "purist" you consider yourself. usless to you and either car may do for you.

Best of luck and happy shopping and don't forget to have fun! -Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks a millon for your insight... I've pretty well decided that if I do this thing, it will be with a convertible.

Now, I've got to wrestle with 6-speed manual or 4-speed automatic. I will never "track" the car (pretty well got that out of my system during my Porsche days), and would like the "convenience" of the auto, but the 6-speed is (as you suggest) probably more of a "purist" choice.

There is another local car - just about the red 'vert - same miles, same price - that is an auto. It is dark blue with tan leather interior... it's a knockout too! So, there is a real choice.

The sticker in all of this is that I really need to sell my 350Z first (divorces are 'spensive!)

Cheerz,

Rob (who is spending waaaaay too much time thinking about this)

...[:'(]...feeling ignored...sniff...get the Auto...in the real world it is just as fast unless you have to have the 6 speed...I drove mostly city and prefer the Auto...2001 had that scosh more HP and a few other minor upgrades that make it the better choice...when the top is up on your convertable...it IS a coupe...you have the added bonus of top down motoring...enjoy!

Bill

The 2001 corvette was the year that came out with some improvements over the 2000. Google 2001 corvette, or maybe this link will work. I would go with a 2001 or newer.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2001/overview.htm

I have a 2001 with the $600.00 Magnetic red met. w/ tint coat paint upgrade and tan interior. I also have the $2,000.00 magnesium wheel upgrade along with the performange handling package, and the 3.15 performance axle ratio. It has the removable roof panel I have 24,000 miles on it with an extended transferable 7 yr. 70,000 mile warranty.

I've been reading about all the newer C6's because it's getting time for a new one. To my disapointment, I found out that the C6 isn't really any quicker, except for the top end. The 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times are about the same. This is due to the fact that Chevy is lowering the rear axle ratio. The so called performance rear axle is now 2.75. They upped the horse power by 50, but changed the rear end. The 2008 ups the horse power again by 36 and kept the 2.75 rear axle. Thus, the 2008 is showing quicker times.

Very Nice ............... Me, I'm a triple Black fan myself ................ The dark Blue and Tan is very nice ...... dark Green and Tan is also nice ......... God, they are Fine Automobiles ...................... Lucky Man, .................... K-horns too, Gee, mo' guidance indeed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, OB, remember that I'm still in the tire kickin' stage. No purchase yet... and maybe not at all. Still lots to think about (but, gee, ain't it fun?

Rob