Anyone Else Diggin' The Grateful Dead Channel?

garymd

Yes, I have only listened a little but the content is really good from what I have heard so far. Lots of old stuff I never heard. My only issue is the quality at home. I used the analog outs from my satellite box at home into my system and in general all of the Sirius channels are pretty poor. Lots of inconsistency in sound quality. None great (over satellite TV). What I have not tried yet is using the digital out of the satellite box to see if there is any difference....or listen to these same channels in a car on a decent mobile satellite system.

It's great that the Dead have their own satellite station broadcasting from space. It took 40+ years but now they are REALLY in space. Perfect.

Edit: Gary, didn't read your post close enough. I should have said "NO"...you are not the only one who gives a rat's a$$. I do too. [:D]

You see Mr. Colter??? You have to post in 2-Channel to get anyone's attention!!

Mark - I only listen in the car and it's friggin AWESOME!!! The only part I don't like is the audience concerts. What a waste of time. The sound quality was OK on my old cassettes when I was much younger but now I think it's a bad idea unless it's something really cool and rare. They actually opened the station with an audience show and it sounded horrible.

I'd change a few things but overall I think it's great. It's also nice to have plenty of options when something I don't care for is played (like Ratdog!!). I've heard some really cool old versions of Doin That Rag, Mtns Of The Moon, etc. Great stuff!!

Gary,

It sounds like I need to use the digital out of the satellite box to a decent DAC. I'm glad it sounds good on a decent system.

By the way I agree on the Ratdog point....I have given RatDog every chance possible since I love the Dead (and Bobby) so much. Attended shows, bought downloads, etc. But.....that is just a losing combination of players.....and Bob can't sing anymore......period. He can not.

I am going to see Phil on 10/18 up in Buffalo and then on 10/21 in Syracuse.....now there is a group of various players that always works well. I can't wait. Never heard Jackie Green.

Gary,

This whole thing started recently (deciding to tour with Phil) when I had scheduled a business trip up in Syracuse the week of 10/21. A good friend of mine who lives in Buffalo suggested I come up early and do the Phil shows with him. We could see one near his house in Buffalo 10/18 and one near my parents house in Syracuse 10/20. Sounded like a great idea. So....I made those arrangements.

Then.....he decided to come down to Atlanta with his wife to visit his father-in-law and us in Athens. Phil plays Atlanta 10/14.....but that's an expensive one (3 day outdoor festival). We may skip that. Not sure yet.

I would love to come to Baltimore but I have to spend the week in Syracuse on business, 10/21 - 10/25. Otherwise.....I'd a done Baltimore too. What the heck.

We'll get together at some point, I'm sure.

No Sirius for me. I went XM because of Bob Dylans radio show. Love the Dylan show but cant say I am loving any of the music stations. Not a huge Dead (although I have seen them live about a zillion times) or Howard fan so I am not sure that Sirius would be much better! I only wish there was a station that played my favorite band (s). You are lucky Gary!

Josh

I don't know who's running the station but they seem to screw up quite a bit (but then again, Jerry always messed up the lyrics). During my TWO HOUR COMMUTE this morning, they didn't seem to get any show dates correct. They played a great version of Pigpen singing Ain't It Crazy from February 1978!! I suppose he came back from the dead to join his bandmates for that one. Then, Bobby sang St Of Circumstance at a show in '81 but it was obviously the album version. Next, Jerry sang one of the really early versions of The Deal when he hadn't really figured out all the lyrics and was still playing two solos and that was apparently from '78 also. I'm guessing it was either '70 or '71. NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING..............

I don't know who's running the station but they seem to screw up quite a bit (but then again, Jerry always messed up the lyrics). During my TWO HOUR COMMUTE this morning, they didn't seem to get any show dates correct. They played a great version of Pigpen singing Ain't It Crazy from February 1978!! I suppose he came back from the dead to join his bandmates for that one. Then, Bobby sang St Of Circumstance at a show in '81 but it was obviously the album version. Next, Jerry sang one of the really early versions of The Deal when he hadn't really figured out all the lyrics and was still playing two solos and that was apparently from '78 also. I'm guessing it was either '70 or '71. NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING..............

Folks.....this is the definition of a "Dead Head"........for those that might have always wondered what a Dead Head really was. [:D]

Gary,

I agree about Buffet but one thing he does is streams all his live concerts on his Sirius station. I've caught a couple by accident. That's pretty cool actually. Maybe Phil and Bobby will do a few of those before they retire. They probably don't because they know everyone records and would take a hunk out of their live concert series downloads and CDs.