Well, Dr Who I am afraid the "outdoor thing" is a red herring.

The real problem with playing classical music outdoors is the noise floor. As you know, the music (especially certain types) will have very soft passages that will be absolutely masked by typical ambient levels of outdoor noise. This would make it most difficult. The idea of bouncing between rooms (with & without treatment) would put the presenter at a real disadvantage. It would be an ambitious task to provide an "intro to classical music" in a single evening. If there is an additional distraction about different rooms (and folks having to go back & forth etc), then this would be quite unfair to the presenter.

The issue of room treatments is an interesting one, but it should be kept separate from what LarryC wants to accomplish.

Good Luck,

-Tom

outdoor setups just don't have it as a rule.

Not to be argumentative, but I think that is a common misconception that is simply not true. Do you have any specific situations in mind that might have led to those conclusions? I guess I would "argue" that one can achieve amazing sound outdoors, but it's gotta be done right. Heck, it's gotta be done right for indoors too; the criteria are just different.

I was just thinking that it'd be a shame to do the classical music stuff inside the hotel meeting rooms because the acoustics simply suck. I would find it most distracting. But hey, maybe that's a good argument for doing some temporary acoustical treatment in those rooms.

Who, I've heard too many outdoor setups to think that outdoor classical repro is anything but a crapshoot and too likely to be a bust from my standpoint. The upper bass and especially the lower middle range are rarely full-sounding, just for starters. It needs to be a good-sounding system in a commensurate room where everything sounds good. I wouldn't want to be bollixed up by a combo of unexpected sound imbalances that can't be corrected, and rain and/or 90-degree heat and humidity.

I agree with you on hotel meeting room acoustics.

To me, the answer is simple: one of the Klipsch facility's larger listening rooms with good electronics and either Heritage or Palladium speakers and a DVD player, so we can see the VISUALS as well as hear great sound! From what I've seen, the tours begin to wind down by 3:30 p.m. or so, and that might be an excellent time to put on my rather different "show."

VERY important points, Tom!

Larry

• Klipsch Employees

The thought for the classes is to use the rooms in Eng. or other parts of the building.

As for Larry holding class, First. Larry would have to want to do that. Sec. I would want to provide a location that will give the best demo.

Any class will have only a few folks in a room at onece. Most of you know how big the rooms are down here. More than just a few folks in a room can be to much.

The thought for the classes is to use the rooms in Eng. or other parts of the building.

As for Larry holding class, First. Larry would have to want to do that. Sec. I would want to provide a location that will give the best demo.

Any class will have only a few folks in a room at once. Most of you know how big the rooms are down here. More than just a few folks in a room can be to much.

Trey, we may need to talk. I thought last year's session worked extremely well. People were mostly at loose ends by the latter part of the afternoon, so it was easy to gather in the folks who had heard about it. Well, yes, it was somewhat crowded, but wouldn't one of your largest rooms be big enough?

I'm afraid repeating it like a tour would be a drag, and I'd rather have all interested folks attend at once, for shared listening, comments, and discussion. Past classical sessions have been one-time, not repeated. And, yes, the location should definitely give the best demo!

The issue of room treatments is an interesting one, but it should be kept separate from what LarryC wants to accomplish.

I was never thinking of doing that while Larry was presenting...it could be a totally seperate event, but the acoustical treatment would be of benefit in more than one way (so getting more bang for all the efforts involved)

Who, I've heard too many outdoor setups to think that outdoor classical repro is anything but a crapshoot and too likely to be a bust from my standpoint. The upper bass and especially the lower middle range are rarely full-sounding, just for starters.

That's what I mean by not set-up properly, but let's not push the issue.

Perhaps we can do other listening outside.

Trey,

I have just a few ideas to help.

I am one of the biggest supporters of having more Klipsch Pilgrimage time, Friday, Saturday and Sunday would be wonderful. Really digging in to explore and discuss the presentations in detail as a group. It is nice to have 8 or so exhibits in parallel with a rotating intro, followed by free time to spend at a person's favorite stops. However there were so many that I would have loved to spend alot more time at I just couldn't get to all of them for sufficient study. This is one idea to use the extra time for.

I'd eat my pencil if the Paladiums weren't the headline at the next Pilgrimage. I hope that they are shown in the room that the 60th KHorns were in. That was a truly exquisite experience. It can be said that I'm most likely to buy Cornwall IIIs next, but the presentation in the acoustically darkest room that they were shown in didn't allow me to evaluate them to the point of purchase. On the other hand, Rod Hammer's awesome demo of the RC-64 using Ice Age, in a conference room of all places, sounded so good that I went out and bought the RC-64 right after the Pilgrimage. What I'm saying is that I'd love to have the best listening locations allocated to 1) The Paladiums and 2) A Heritage 2 Channel room with Heresy III, Cornwall III, La Scala II, and KHorns set up and running all weekend long for comparison and truly in depth enjoyment and evaluation purposes. That's what I'm looking for. I'd bring my Denon 4806 receiver and Denon 2930CI CD/DVD-Audio/SACD player for solid state and someone else could bring a tube preamp and amp (BB extreme and VRD's anyone?) and we could mix and match to our hearts content.

The most disappointing thing that happened at the Pilgrimage was having the Jubilees in the mixer hall. those babies really deserved to be in a quiet room for critical group listening and have people who wanted to talk go to another room across the hall. It was so hard and frustrating to try evaluationg those with people shouting in the room and walking between the horn and the listening groups ears. I was so relieved to see that the KHorn and Cornwall III rooms the next day were being honored by the group as quiet rooms for critical listening.

These are a few ways that I think the Pilgrimage could be greatly improved. It was, as it stands, one of the best days of my life. A true Pilgrimage for me, and I need to thank you all again for allowing us the opportunity to tour and enjoy such a close encounter with what for many of us is our most passionate interest.

Kimball

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about a class to teach us heathens who don't know any better HOW to listen critically? I know what I like when I hear it but I am not "trained" in critical listening skills. This would really help make the REST of the weekend be of more value!

Amen, Brother!

I think my Jubes sound GREAT with passive crossovers, but apparently I'm wrong. [;)]

I'd like to find out what I'm missing.