O/T Gotta brag a little bit

dtel's wife

• Moderators

Not about audio equipment......

A lot of you have met our grandson Buddy, who is now seven years old. He has been enrolled in martial arts for about nine months now. He recently took his fifth belt test in martial arts. So....he is now a 3rd degree green belt.

We are really proud of his accomplishments in the martial arts field. Buddy is home schooled and martial arts is his chosen extra curricular activity. Time has proven that he made a very wise choice. Upon enrolling we told Buddy that he would have to attend classes until he received his black belt....no quitting. This requires attendance three evenings a week.

He has surpassed our expectations by participating in additional classes. He chose to attend weapons class and is about to complete the staff form. He is considering fans as his next choice of weapon to learn. Initially he said fans were "too girly"....until he saw his master perform with the fans....now Buddy is trying to decide between nunchuks or fan for his next weapon. This requires attendance every other Tuesday evening.

Additionally, he recently tried out for "Special Forces" which is a demonstration/competition team for his martial arts school. He was one of only eighteen students chosen by the masters to participate on this team. The "Special Forces" team will participate in competitions/demonstrations and also perform at local events...such as fairs, Christmas presentations for nursing homes etc. Participation on "Special Forces" requires attendance every other Tuesday evening (rotating with weapons).

When all is said and done, Buddy attends martial arts classes about six hours a week.

The pace at which he earns his two remaining belts will be somewhat slower, so we anticipate he will earn his black belt sometime in late 2008. The testing for black belt is quite rigorous including a written report, three on one sparring and various forms he has learned.

We will be posting a link to his recent studio photographs in the next few days.

pretty cool their grandma. i can say that because i'm also a young grandfather (third one on the way).

i'll tell you, there isn't much that makes me feel better than hearing my granddaughter (almost 2 yrs old) walk into the room and say "Hi Papa." Maybe i am getting old, but that really touches my heart.
i'm sure you and dtel are proud grandparents as i am.
congratulations and best wishes.
just remember, grandparents don't let their grandchildren buy bose.

• Moderators

BigStew:

Grandkids really change your outlook on life.

Buddy is our oldest grandchild. Ashlynn Alexis-Joy (our 2nd born grandchild), whom we call Allie is now six. Allie has a sister, Rylee Christy-Claire (fourth born grandchild) who just made one. Gracie Noel (our third born grandchild) is now five, with a little brother (Kayden Lane) due on November 2. Kaden will be born by a scheduled C-section. We will be making a one night trip to Ruston, LA for his birth, as Buddy will be performing with his martial arts school on stage at the local street fair on November 3. A little more bragging, Rylee and Gracie were both partly named after me. My given name is Christy Noel (go figure...my birthday is Christmas Day)

Stew, you gotta remember Buddy has been to Hope, AR (twice now) and to the Pilgrimage in Indy this past June. There is no way he wants Bose. He wants the CS 700 system and/or Heresies for his room. If we ever find a pair of beater LaScalas (preferably Industrial Scalas) he will get the Heresies in dtel's workshop. We bid on a pair of Scala's about a month ago and Buddy was convinced the Heresies were going in his room at that time. Boy was he disappointed when we lost out on e-bay!

Allie and Buddy were raised together until about a 1 1/2 ago, so they are extremely close. Allie now lives in Hattiesburg with her mom, step-father and sister (about an hour away). Allie comes down at least twice a month and spends her time off from school with us. Gracie only comes down about three or four times a year, but she is really close to Buddy and Allie also. They all talk on the phone with each other a couple of times a month.

I have to tell you....Buddy was a true God send after raising three girls. I kept telling dtel, "I can't wait till he can say "Maw-Maw"". Well when that day came I was truly overwhelmed. He says Maw Maw so many times a day (I home school him) and my heart just melts everytime. And, "Maw-Maw, I love you big as the universe" is the best.

Old age doesn't have a thing to do with grandkids "touching your heart".....it just happens.

• Moderators

Hey Groomy,

Buddy is really excited about Michael coming to stay. Let's see X-Box, Wii, Playstation 2, V-Tech, Gameboy. I think we may all play the Wii for a little while....it's really cool.

I wish you guys could make it for two nights instead of one. It just seems like time flys when you get together with friends. Your pending visit has "inspired" us to really push forward with the remodeling.

Cement truck came today, we formed a 12 x 12 cement slab...entrance to front door....so dtel has been "floating" the cement since 9:00 a.m. this morning.....way too much water in the cement....dtel rates cement work down there with plumbing....he hates it.

Picked up new front door....gotta paint it and get the new hardware.....tomorrow's job...maybe....dtel wants me to "fire" him....can't do that...cheap labor is hard to come by....well not cheap but at least I can trade out "my services" for his labor.[:P]

Then, the long awaited....new floors.

Hey Groomlake.....you have got to stop calling me and making me cry![;)]

• Moderators

Thanks Dee.

He really is one great kid. We have been extremely blessed with him. I don't think I could have handled taking care of another girl! Well, I guess you do what you gotta do....but Buddy has been soooo much fun and not nearly as whiny.

He has really impressed us with his perseverance in martial arts. Sometimes he attends classes eight hours a week.

His mom took him for his studio portraits today. The entire martial arts school had photos taken. Jamie said his photos came out really good. I can't wait to see the proofs. I should be able to post a link to the proofs in the next few days. She said I am going to be very pleased.

Everyone should have grandkids, they are great.

• Moderators

jacksonbart: Just to clarify. Buddy's martial arts weapons training is limited to self defense and "form training". The training is actually very non-aggressive! The masters are trying to work with Buddy to get him to become more aggressive with his form training. He is a very laid back kid, as most anyone that has met him could tell you. It takes a lot to get him "fired up". Well....other than his Paw-Paw (dtel) harassing him....that seems to get him going pretty quick.

Thebes: Don't you think you are a little to old to be "intimidating" a seven year old![;)]

• Moderators

I'll clean his clock especially if he's fighting in my weight class: overweight.

Thebes, Buddy got a good laugh when I read him your post.

Amazingly Buddy eats five or six times a day. Sometimes it's a little bit at a time, sometimes it's a pretty large serving of food, but he manages to keep a good healthy weight.

His most favorite food....red beans and rice. I have never seen someone get so exited about eating red beans and rice.

I guess we should take lessons from him....or maybe we should sign up for martial arts classes.[:o]

Oh thank God Christy! I thought you were gonna brag about how many times you've been "pinged" lately...

phewwww

Very cute...Our kids were in some classes in Radford, VA where they were Green Belts. When we moved to Danville we enrolled them in a class here and the yellow belts kicked the crap out of them. Needless to say our teacher was all about promoting and watching the parents giggle.

Also, I think your little guy could take Thebes. They just have to catch him all liquored up. Of course Thebes's side of the story will be a large gang of 6'5" marines got a hold of him, but you should see them!