Home Heating Oil

oldbuckster

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these things for sure................I live in the North East, 4 seasons, 3 out of 4 Cold,........... I have to have Fuel Oil for heat, if you buy wood, your not saving any money, you need land with trees, a good chain-saw, time to cut,split, stack, and bring into house, not saving any money,............ proper device to burn wood in, a fireplace is for looks, not good heating source,................ Natural Gas not available, propane cost too much, but is cleaner, but would have to switch furnance to LP,......... As of right now, I will not move................and everything is fine, as long as power stays on,............. So, like everyone else, Oldbuckster will pay the price to stay warm, no sense crying about it, Pay It and Smile, and think about all the times OPEC has cut the supplies, and raised the price ............... Thanks OPEC, our Buddies, Eat Sand !!!!!!!!!!

I got me one of them global warming, outdoor wood boilers. works great.

If we find out that I am a god and I can control the climate on global scale, I want to do my part to make Maine a warmer place to live!!!!!

Also it will burn ANYTHING so I do way less cutting of wood I just take junk wood that other people are ready to throw out..... sweet

I'd love to to ANY kind of wood burner, indoor, outdoor... wife says "no way you're going to put a messy fireplace in here" sooooooo no woodburner.

We DO however, have 2 (and preparing to install third) ventless propane fireplaces. Lemme tell ya... they will run you OUT of the room after a while. One of them is on the main floor (open floorplan) and if you come home in dead of winter, have the temperature on say, 55 inside... crank it up... it will within probably an hour, have the place at almost 80 degrees.

We learned that the hard way so NOW when we turn it on, we simply turn it on "idle" (lowest possible flame) and it will keep that floor a very comfortable temp.

Put a small one in the bedroom and putting a larger one in basement.

(pic of bedroom unit)

Nice thing is, all the heat goes into the room and not out chimney.

Bad part is, I do have to lug a propane tank around. I've got 2 100 pound tanks (about 250 pounds when full) for "emergencies" if we get snowed in and I use smaller tanks for my typical refills. Not the 20 lb gas grill tanks but these are about 30 lb tanks. About 50% larger than grill sized, makes for a NICE compromise.

post-15072-13819353704042_thumb.jpg

I'd love to to ANY kind of wood burner, indoor, outdoor... wife says "no way you're going to put a messy fireplace in here" sooooooo no woodburner.

We DO however, have 2 (and preparing to install third) ventless propane fireplaces. Lemme tell ya... they will run you OUT of the room after a while. One of them is on the main floor (open floorplan) and if you come home in dead of winter, have the temperature on say, 55 inside... crank it up... it will within probably an hour, have the place at almost 80 degrees.

We learned that the hard way so NOW when we turn it on, we simply turn it on "idle" (lowest possible flame) and it will keep that floor a very comfortable temp.

Put a small one in the bedroom and putting a larger one in basement.

(pic of bedroom unit)

Nice thing is, all the heat goes into the room and not out chimney.

Bad part is, I do have to lug a propane tank around. I've got 2 100 pound tanks (about 250 pounds when full) for "emergencies" if we get snowed in and I use smaller tanks for my typical refills. Not the 20 lb gas grill tanks but these are about 30 lb tanks. About 50% larger than grill sized, makes for a NICE compromise.

I assume the tank is plugged into a closet beind the fireplace? I would love to have a propane fireplace which would be attached to a buried tank.

55 is sun tanning weather in VT, the heat does not even get turned on unless it is 30 or colder.

Come on up in Jan/Feb when the high forecasted for the day is in the negative numbers. [:)]

If your car starts when its a balmy -25 degrees you are doing good. Your car seat feels like a concrete slab, your ungloved hands would stick to the steering wheel, when you back out of driveway and hit the road it initially feels like you have 4 square tires. Oh the fun of living in the Northeast.

We have a wood burner in the family room. Since the family room in our house has the master bedroom above it causes the chimney to run up above the full height of the roof. Some homes in our neighborhood have family room that is detached from the house to the extent that there is no story above it and so the chimney extends below the mail roofline. Since our extends above it we get a good draw, that said I need to run a good fire for at least 5 hours to actually get any heating advantage from the heat I loose by opening the flue. After that the stone just around the fireplace capture so much heat as you cant touch them for more than a few seconds. Every two years I have the chimney sweep out and we always look good.

post-16829-13819353705332_thumb.jpg

I went to a gas insert a couple of years ago...............big tank outside............we lose the power alot here, can't have pipes freezing up, and with the big tank, I can go days and keep the pipes from freezing............I think heat is the hardest to do without............

Jackson, a fan will help alot...................

Coytee, a 100# tank is a waste of time for me..............too small, had one the first year, got rid of that quick !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume the tank is plugged into a closet beind the fireplace? I would love to have a propane fireplace which would be attached to a buried tank.

The tank(s) are actually outside. This bedroom unit is upstairs. The supply line goes through the wall to outdoors right behind the fireplace. Outside, I've got (coolest part of it all) a two tank manifold. I can have two tanks side by side, BOTH connected to my regulator and I've got an A/B switch on the regulator so when one tank goes down, I can simply flip the switch to the other tank.

What I've done is mount one of my 100 pound tanks to one inlet (inlet is at height of 100 pound tanks). My other tank, sits on a strategically sized cedar log to bring it to the same height of the 100 pound tank. I flip out the little tanks as they're MUCH easier to carry than the 100 pounder (especially when full).

Wife just a month or so ago, told me she'd like to get an in ground tank. Above ground is OUT of the question for her because she does NOT want it visible at all.

So, she envisions a buried tank, not realizing that in the meantime, I've got to dig a 4x6 foot hole (or what ever the size is) and that hole is going to displace a LOT of her flowers and grass... then we've got to trench to the patio location where the manifold is and that endeavour is going to require ripping up a section of our flagstone patio. Fortunately, it's not bedded in concrete, just coarse sand so I can lift, dig/trench and replace. Bottom line, she thinks we can have the buried tank done in an hour because she's not thinking the entire process through.

So... I keep dragging the small tanks around.

I went to a gas insert a couple of years ago...............big tank outside............we lose the power alot here, can't have pipes freezing up, and with the big tank, I can go days and keep the pipes from freezing............I think heat is the hardest to do without............

Jackson, a fan will help alot...................

Coytee, a 100# tank is a waste of time for me..............too small, had one the first year, got rid of that quick !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, this is not our primary heat source (not saying yours is). If this were our primary, then it would be much beefier. She simply wanted a fireplace and we added it. Since it was more of an afterthought, we had some limitations and this was the best solution for us (other than starting with a larger buried tank)

In the beginning, I mentioned a buried tank and I guess she didn't fully grasp what I was saying "buried" as she was going to have NOTHING to do with it. Now that the landscape is done, now that the sidewalk is done, now that the patio is down... she's thinking "oh.. we should get a larger tank...that wouldn't be hard, would it??" [8o|]

Brac ................ No piles and piles of humidity, alteast I never noticed any, lack of humidity maybe, but that's normal during heating season.......

Tarheel ................. I open a window from time to time, I hate a closed house anytime of the year, must let in some fresh air, but NO danger from Carbon Monoxide, and I do have a warning device........

Coytee.................A couple of reasons for big tank......no it's not my main heating source........A 100# will only go a day or two if the power is out, the bigger tank atleast doubles or triples the time........2 or 3 days in a row with no power is normal around here, we live with it.......and the bigger thing, you can lock in at a lower price with a big tank, you cannot with a 100#er........I per-pay for more gas than I'll use, lower price, automatic delivery............although, with prices still rising, this practice will probably be ended........use to be able to lock in a fuel oil price for the whole season, not anymore............Me Thinks this might be a tough winter for many.........

We had our oil furnace replaced about 5 years ago anfter the original one to the house started to smell like diesel exhaust. Still not bad for it being over 50 years old. Bought another oil burner and have no problems. It is a bit dry in the house but that it was like that with the old unit. Granted prices have gone up for oil but I still feel better than having to buy gas from the local bandits.