Heresy's...How good are they?

luckasaaron

So I finally took the plunge after a month or so of trolling around on this board and bought a set of Heresy's from Groomslake (Marshall) They are a set of HBR H-1s with black grills, I'm incredibly excited to get them, I was going to buy a set of Dee's H-IIs but Marshall ended up acquiring these at the last minute so he's taking Dee's and I'm getting his (what a nice guy, haha) So I guess what do I have to look forward to? I'm currently running a couple year old Denon receiver and a matching Denon CD player along with a KSW10 sub (I know rather mid-fi setup) But I'm thinking I might give myself a nice Roth Audio MC4 for Christmas or sometime around there. Anyways back to my question I currently have a set of SF-1s that I bought in my sophomore year of high school, and blew most of money of at the time, so what do I have to look forward to? Just some thoughts on what people saw being the main difference in upgrading from the mid/low range stuff?

Thanks all and have a great day.

Why would you want to have your first impressions coloured by preconceptions based on other people's opinions? In particular, a big build-up usually leads to disappointment. Most Heresy owners like them a lot and you'll probably like yours a lot, too. Of course you're eager to get them, but it won't be much longer until you can hear them for yourself.

Well, I should offer the disclaimer that since I'm a party in this swap/sale my opinion could be assumed to be biased.

However, after I pass along the HII's to Marshall, I'll still have a pair of Heresy and Heresy II's, in service and neither of them or for sale.

I think the sound is fabulous.

I have two pair of Cornwalls, I's and II's and a pair of Heresy IIs.

I also have Polk Monitor 10s, Infinity RS5Bs and some vintage RTRs.

In my opinion, the Cornwall is a better sounding speaker. That should not be a suprise.

In my opinion, the Heresy IIs sound better than any of the other speakers I have listed.

And I did a shootout between them a few months ago. No doubt in my mind.

The Polks were close, but the HIIs beat them on clarity.

That little KSW will be a fine sub to complement the Heresy sound. I myself used a KSW12 under a Heresy (wired through speaker level inputs) for a rear surround during football season last year. If you wire it that way the KSW filters the lows from the outputs, giving your Heresies a very clean sound. And it's just enough sub, really.

Sit back, relax, enjoy the music.

And Marshall would be honored if you'd play some Euro-Trash through them once in a while.....

Welcome to the Madness!

Michael

So I have them hooked up and listening to them right now. Wow these are amazing speakers. Granted they are at home on my dad's older receiver (some Pioneer, nothing stupendous) running the Ipod through a dock and into a dirty pair of inputs and wow I'm amazed. The music just has so much more dynamics to it, even at whisper like volumes it's so easy to decipher the different sounds. My old speakers it was muddled into you cranked them a little and then they kinda shone. I haven't really given them a workout yet. I'll save that for when I get home and pop in some CDs with them hooked up to my normal receiver with the subwoofer attached. As of now though I have no complaints whatsoever. After my old speakers either they don't seem as "colored" as everyone said, maybe its just that I'm used to the decisive high end.
Thanks all for the responses.

I love the sound of my HIIs, with any of the amps I've used them on. Currently using an H/K 430 and they sound very smooth with plenty of bass. I had a small Velodyne sub hooked up for a while (with an 8 inch driver- small), and it actually mated very well. BUT, I don't usually have them cranked that loud. [:)]

Now that Lucas has them, we need to start pinging him to get the crossovers upgraded with new caps, (note to self: pinging me get me to get busy and cut him some risers (including the risers I owe to a bunch of folks that I have been unable to do because my workshop was overrun with stuff during the room construction); And..., lest we forget, get him to save up for a quality amp, trip to the Pilgrimage, Jubilees, etc, etc.,. It will never end[;)] and hopefully Lucas can graduate from college before going broke in search of the perfect Klipsch sound!!!